Page 31 of 58 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 573

Thread: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

  1. #301
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,853

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Do we want everyone to vote?

    People who don't know what the role of government is, what Congress and the POTUS is supposed to do, who don't know what's in the Constitution, who don't understand the issues or know where the candidates stand on them, do we want them to vote? People who watch the political ads slack jawed and uncritically, then vote accordingly, is it any benefit that they vote?

    Personally, I'd just as soon they stay home on election day.
    Me too, which includes a bunch of uninformed morons in my area who vote for anyone with an R by their name. Seriously, just about anyone swayed by most of the ads I see in my area at least is almost by definition a political ignoramus, and voting based on some PR hack paid big bucks by political parties to strike a nerve with them.

    Doesn't mean I support public policy that intentionally makes it hard for SOME of those morons to exercise their RIGHT to vote.

  2. #302
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
    Why are conservatives so afraid of Americans exercising their right to vote..
    After all this back and forth you still don't understand that the concern is for eligible voters exercising their right to vote. Why does this need constant repeating?

  3. #303
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,039

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I love the way you just disregard all facts in evidence - not only in Texas but in every state that has passed photo ID and estimated the number affected by the new rules! It must be wonderful to be unconstrained by any evidence at all!
    I do not deal in estimated numbers. Everyone who is not a hermit living in a cave somewhere has an ID. I know why you do not want photo IDs and it has nothing to do with voter disenfranchisement. I am not buying the ruse the democrats are attempting to push.

  4. #304
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,039

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    And when you're not disregarding evidence, you just create your own out of thin air! Fantastic....



    Any ID keeps it honest enough so that in Tennessee there have been next to no cases of impersonation fraud in decades. The restricted forms add nothing to the "keeps it honest" efforts.
    It should be valid and up to date ID...such as a drivers license or state ID card. I would also accept military ID.

  5. #305
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,039

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    So let me get this straight. You make a claim of approximately zero that is contradicted by the evidence in Tennessee, NC, PA and Texas to name a few. In all those states the numbers affected are in the hundreds of thousand range, and you ignore them.

    And then when I give a faithful effort of the 600,000 that was testified to in court, backed by extensive examination of the lists of registered voters versus the lists of those with acceptable Photo IDs (DLs, passports, etc.) and then have the intellectual honesty to recognize the number isn't exact but will probably vary some amount from the point estimate, THAT is the figure you "don't buy" but you do buy baseless assertions made by no one in court, EVER.



    That's the number testified to in court by the former guy in Texas who headed up elections for a couple of decades or so. If you have a better estimate, please cite it! And then you should give that number to the State of Texas who can't seem to find that estimate either, and to the GOP in PA who recognized in court the number was roughly zero, etc.
    Sorry, Jasper. I just cannot take your figures seriously when you post a margin of error of plus or minus 200K.

  6. #306
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,039

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    None of that addresses my point, which is that payroll taxes increased, and SS ran up a surplus of nearly $500B which was used to offset the deficits elsewhere in the Reagan era budgets.



    And of course tax cuts don't pay for themselves. They do juice growth, especially when paired with large deficits, but tax cuts reduce tax revenues....
    Tax cuts certainly do pay for themselves. You really should stop thinking in terms of a zero sum game economy. Which part of lower taxes and more disposable income creates more investment and purchases in the private sector do you not understand? And you can stop trying to connect the deficit to it. Tax revenue and deficit spending are two different subjects.

  7. #307
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,039

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Yep, so the other 500K need to get their butt's down and get an ID. If they can't they can do a provisional ballot.

    If your argument is that people can still cheat using absentee ballots, then you shouldn't be against Voter ID, because demo's will just use absentee to steal elections like they have recently in contests like Al Franken's win....

    Liberals are just showing that they really don't want integrity of the vote...
    Unfortunately for the democrats....some states are starting to require photo ID or witness signatures on absentee ballots.. The democrats ofcourse want voter fraud to be risk free.

  8. #308
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,039

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    That's a deliberate, I assume, misstatement of my position. What I object to is the a belief that easy, gutless, cowardly decision to pair spending increases with tax rate CUTS requires someone to believe in a free lunch, a Tax Santa Clause, a Tax Fairy, magic - pick your metaphor.

    Bottom line is society has a difficult task setting spending levels. If we want to spend MORE, we have to raise taxes. If we want to cut taxes, then some very painful decisions have to be made about spending CUTS. Right wing fiscal policy rests on the notion that if we want to spend MORE, then to pay for it, we give everyone another tax cut!



    Yes, I understand what taxes I pay because I've done taxes for a living since 1988.

    And like I said, we have a natural experiment in our lifetimes. On an inflation adjusted bases, tax receipts (total, individual, corporate, payroll) increased by 20% in the Reagan era. Receipts increased by 47% in the Clinton era. Real GDP growth during that time was roughly the same - about 33% for both periods.

    Real tax data here: http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...s/hist01z3.xls
    I will find a real GDP link if you want to check that number.

    So tax receipts, given similar increases in GDP, rose more than twice as fast (47 versus 20) during the Clinton era, following Clinton tax rate increases. And that's consistent with individual income taxes as a percent of GDP. During the Reagan years, that decreased from 9% to 8%. During Clinton years, that increased from 7.5% to 9.4%. This is baby math, and the GOP wants to argue with math. Tax cuts lower revenue, tax increases raise revenue.



    If you have a point, make it. I'm not going to guess what that point might be. Several things happened in 1994. Other things happened in 1996. Etc.
    If you have really done taxes for a living since 1988, you should have a much better understanding of the tax system then you are showing on this forum.

  9. #309
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,332

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
    You can continue to be dishonest and call it emotional, but being disabled was just one reason given and if they're disabled they still have to have certain paperwork that they not have, find and get to a DMV office. I don't think the DMV makes house calls.
    Then you haven't been paying much attention...In most states the paperwork to ask for exemption is online, and even in some cases the DMV does absolutely go to the people....Don't give us that crap.

    Why are conservatives so afraid of Americans exercising their right to vote. And don't come up with that BS about identifying themselves. There has been ID requirements to vote for a very long time. Probably the most recent was the HAVA act of 2002, signed into law by George W. Bush.
    I'd say you have that backwards...It is liberals that are absolutely afraid that one person/one vote will be the rule not the exception in liberal circles...And in that case libs will probably lose every time.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #310
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,853

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    I do not deal in estimated numbers. Everyone who is not a hermit living in a cave somewhere has an ID. I know why you do not want photo IDs and it has nothing to do with voter disenfranchisement. I am not buying the ruse the democrats are attempting to push.
    Can't tell if that's deliberate or not. Yes, almost everyone has AN ID, but roughly 600,000 in Texas don't have an ID that will allow them TO VOTE. Key difference.

Page 31 of 58 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •