Page 17 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 573

Thread: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

  1. #161
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I see reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. There is no reason to make 400,000 Texans spend the time and money to get an ID they do not need in their daily lives just so they can exercise their right to vote.
    Those same people need a photo ID to cash a check, get on a plane, and take out a loan. Voting is a privilege. I see no problem with photo ID's, why do you?

  2. #162
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,953

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I won't bother going through the list, much of it provably BS and either false or can be done without one of the IDs on the list of IDs accepted for voting, but NO ONE OBJECTS TO THE BASIC FACT that some small percentage of citizens do not need the photo ID's acceptable to vote in some states to get through their daily lives. Posts like this are an attempt to dispute facts that aren't actually in dispute or contested by supporters of the photo ID voting laws.

    It's bizarre that conservatives cannot accept simple facts in evidence, accepted by both proponents and opponents of photo ID voting rules, presented in court, subject to discovery and cross examination, etc. It's just weird how a movement now feels free to disregard reality when making an argument.

    for all the time, energy, and money you guys are spending on fighting these laws, you could rent vans and take those few voters that you say exist to get their ID's

    or is that not in the equation....if people actually have ID, does that cause you other issues?

    you gotta wonder.....
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  3. #163
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,815

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Those same people need a photo ID to 1) cash a check, 2) get on a plane, and 3) take out a loan. Voting is a privilege. I see no problem with photo ID's, why do you?
    1) Wrong. It's easier to cash a check with a state or federally issued photo ID with current address (SFIPIDWCA), but not necessary.
    2) Wrong. Ditto, and it may come as a shock to you, but 10s of millions of Americans make it through a lifetime and never fly! Hard to believe, but true!!
    3) Wrong. What kind of loan? And I'm sure it will shock you to know that the poor don't qualify for traditional loans by banks and credit unions and the like.

    Voting is a privilege? Hilarious....

  4. #164
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,815

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    for all the time, energy, and money you guys are spending on fighting these laws, you could rent vans and take those few voters that you say exist to get their ID's

    or is that not in the equation....if people actually have ID, does that cause you other issues?

    you gotta wonder.....
    What part of accepting facts is a problem with right wingers? It's not that I "say they exist" it's what every person who has looked at the effect of the new laws has determined, and those claims have been vetted in the courts, subject to cross examination and discovery, etc.

    And of course people are trying like heck to help people get the IDs - you've moved the goal posts because you can't defend the point.

  5. #165
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    1) Wrong. It's easier to cash a check with a state or federally issued photo ID with current address (SFIPIDWCA), but not necessary.
    2) Wrong. Ditto, and it may come as a shock to you, but 10s of millions of Americans make it through a lifetime and never fly! Hard to believe, but true!!
    3) Wrong. What kind of loan? And I'm sure it will shock you to know that the poor don't qualify for traditional loans by banks and credit unions and the like.

    Voting is a privilege? Hilarious....
    For number 2 and 3, you say wrong, but then give an argument of them not being able to. You do need an ID to get on a plane. The fact that some people will never get on a plane in their lifetime does not change the fact that someone needs and ID to get on a plane (with the exception of children). Also, you need an ID to get a loan or even request a loan. The fact that some people do not qualify for loans does not change the fact that you need an ID to get a loan from an institution.

    Voting is in fact a privilege. If you are a convicted felon, you cannot vote while you are incarcerated, on parole, or on probation. Some do not get the privilege restored even after "rehabilitation".
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  6. #166
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,360

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    What part of accepting facts is a problem with right wingers? It's not that I "say they exist" it's what every person who has looked at the effect of the new laws has determined, and those claims have been vetted in the courts, subject to cross examination and discovery, etc.

    And of course people are trying like heck to help people get the IDs - you've moved the goal posts because you can't defend the point.
    I am guessing you did not read the data presented to the court by the Texas Attorney General.
    https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov...fact_sheet.pdf
    During her testimony at trial, Lydia Camarillo, Vice President of the
    Southwestern Voter Education Project, testified she could only identify two voters
    in the entire State of Texas
    who do not have state-issued photo identifications—“the
    Rodriguez sisters.”27
    One of the two “Rodriguez sisters,” Victoria Rodriguez, a college student from San
    Antonio and the only voter (out of 13 million in Texas) that either the intervenors—or the
    DOJ—could produce at trial in support of their contention that voters who lack photo
    IDs will be unable to vote. During Ms. Rodriguez’ testimony, however, those claims fell
    apart when she testified that she possesses a “birth certificate,” a “voter registration
    card,” and a “social security card.”28 Under state regulations, only two of the three
    forms of identification possessed by Ms. Rodriguez are necessary for her to obtain an
    Election Identification Certificate free of charge from the DPS.
    At trial, Ms. Rodriguez testified that she did not have a car and that her parents were too
    busy to take her to the local DPS office so that she could obtain a free Election
    Identification Certificate. Ironically, however, Ms. Rodriguez explained in detail how she
    had no trouble securing transportation to the San Antonio airport, flying more than
    1,500 miles to Baltimore, and catching a train to Washington DC so that she could testify
    in federal court about her inability to get to the DPS office back in San Antonio. 29

  7. #167
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,953

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    What part of accepting facts is a problem with right wingers? It's not that I "say they exist" it's what every person who has looked at the effect of the new laws has determined, and those claims have been vetted in the courts, subject to cross examination and discovery, etc.

    And of course people are trying like heck to help people get the IDs - you've moved the goal posts because you can't defend the point.

    what part of proving who you are do you have an issue with?

    why do so many liberals have an issue with people proving who they say they are in order to vote in elections?

    everyday life requires ID's......and they are EASY to get....and most of the time, FREE

    use all these resources you are wasting fighting these laws, and get these people ID's if it is that much of a burden

    there really is no excuse at this point.....the states have been hammering on this for years now

    they have had plenty of time to get their act together
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  8. #168
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,815

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    For number 2 and 3, you say wrong, but then give an argument of them not being able to. You do need an ID to get on a plane. The fact that some people will never get on a plane in their lifetime does not change the fact that someone needs and ID to get on a plane (with the exception of children). Also, you need an ID to get a loan or even request a loan. The fact that some people do not qualify for loans does not change the fact that you need an ID to get a loan from an institution.
    You didn't read the link for #2:

    We understand passengers occasionally arrive at the airport without an ID, because of losing it or inadvertently leaving it at home. If this happens to you, it does not necessarily mean you won't be allowed to fly. If you are willing to provide additional information, we have other ways to confirm your identity, like using publicly available databases, so you can reach your flight.
    As to loans, what loans are you talking about? There are hundreds of ways to get a "loan" so if you want to make a statement, then you'll have to narrow it down a bit.

    And one needs a special ID to get into the nuclear facilities at Oak Ridge. If I do not work in or visit those facilities, and I do not, then why in the hell is the ID required to do those things I DO NOT DO relevant to anything? One needs a passport to travel abroad. Why is that relevant to voting?

    Voting is in fact a privilege. If you are a convicted felon, you cannot vote while you are incarcerated, on parole, or on probation. Some do not get the privilege restored even after "rehabilitation".
    No, it's really not a privilege. If it is then I'm sure you agree owning a gun is a privilege (felons get that 'privilege' taken away) and so is liberty (since the privilege of personal liberty is taken from felons while incarcerated against their will). And the courts don't view voting as a privilege either, because when voting is mentioned in the Constitution, such as the 14th amendment, it's referred to as a 'right.' Try again.

  9. #169
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,953

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    I am guessing you did not read the data presented to the court by the Texas Attorney General.
    https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov...fact_sheet.pdf

    well.....those facts dont match up with what the left is telling everyone

    so they cant be true....can they?

    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  10. #170
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    1) Wrong. It's easier to cash a check with a state or federally issued photo ID with current address (SFIPIDWCA), but not necessary.
    2) Wrong. Ditto, and it may come as a shock to you, but 10s of millions of Americans make it through a lifetime and never fly! Hard to believe, but true!!
    3) Wrong. What kind of loan? And I'm sure it will shock you to know that the poor don't qualify for traditional loans by banks and credit unions and the like.

    Voting is a privilege? Hilarious....
    Just goes to show how out of touch you are with society and the world in general. Tell the people of Iraq and Afghanistan that voting isn't a privilege. What you continue to ignore is what both parties do to get people to the polls and how bad some of the cities are that use those tactics. It really is a shame that this is even an issue but politics are big business and big bucks that need better controls than what we have. A photo ID is a great first step in today's world.

Page 17 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •