Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 58

Thread: Why the FBI Director really wants to be able to access your iPhone

  1. #21
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Why the FBI Director really wants to be able to access your iPhone

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    One thing about technology, there's always a way around it. They'll be able to trap a line if they want, it just won't be as easy, especially on mass levels.
    That's actually what I think. In fact, they probably already have it if those phones are available now as one poster said. However, putting the WORD out that plotters and schemers are safer than before may be just what's intended.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #22
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why the FBI Director really wants to be able to access your iPhone

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    That's actually what I think. In fact, they probably already have it if those phones are available now as one poster said. However, putting the WORD out that plotters and schemers are safer than before may be just what's intended.
    I've seen spook movies, where the agents purchase with cash, these blank disposable cell phones that are only good for a few calls. That's probably the reality that the tech the NSA, CIA and other intel agencies use can get whatever info they want from your connections. Your cell and internet services have to use public servers that record everything and can be unencrypted.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  3. #23
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Why the FBI Director really wants to be able to access your iPhone

    Given what the NSA is doing. The government is not a trustworthy steward in this area. So I hope apple keeps doing what they do.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,496

    Re: Why the FBI Director really wants to be able to access your iPhone

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    The FBI needs access to phones with proper procedures followed. To lock them out gives terrorist and criminals a free ride.
    One thing law enforcement and the NSA have shown over and over and over again is that they cannot or will not follow proper procedures.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  5. #25
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,496

    Re: Why the FBI Director really wants to be able to access your iPhone

    From what I read for Apple and Google there are market concerns. Foreign markets are not happy about the idea that the FBI or the NSA could listen in on the coversations of their citizens - or more likely their government officials. Some have gone so far as to say that if a company wants to do business in their country they need to build dedicated datacenters in their country. Data centers cost tens of millions of dollars to build.

    Additionally there's a computer security truism that basically says if you build backdoors or weaknesses into a system to facilitate access that you want to happen be prepared to deal with accesses that you don't want to happen. Basically if the FBI can use back doors to eavesdrop so can everyone else.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Why the FBI Director really wants to be able to access your iPhone

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    One thing law enforcement and the NSA have shown over and over and over again is that they cannot or will not follow proper procedures.
    If that happens bust them for it but in the meantime we can't let terrorist communicate freely

  7. #27
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,496

    Re: Why the FBI Director really wants to be able to access your iPhone

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    If that happens bust them for it but in the meantime we can't let terrorist communicate freely
    Have they been busted yet? Not that I can see. Sure the President made some noise some months back but that's it.

    I worry more about my own government than I do terrorists. Terrorists can kill some people. A government can kill a country.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  8. #28
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Why the FBI Director really wants to be able to access your iPhone

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    To me, the real news is that Apple and Google plan to release phones that are encryption-secure. Where even they themselves cannot access data without the user's password.

    No more wire taps...no more being able to track calls...

    Should this be allowed?

    The only "example" I could think of would be if gun manufacturers could manufacture guns with no ballistics.
    I am unsympathetic. Here's the thing... these phones were developed in large part because the public was clamoring for them. Why was the public clamoring for them? Precisely because the government... including Comey's FBI... was caught doing things it knew it shouldn't have been doing. In other words, they've proven themselves not trustworthy (yet again, imagine that!). While there is a fair point in his comments, he/they really have no one to blame but themselves.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #29
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: Why the FBI Director really wants to be able to access your iPhone

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    To me, the real news is that Apple and Google plan to release phones that are encryption-secure. Where even they themselves cannot access data without the user's password.

    No more wire taps...no more being able to track calls...

    Should this be allowed?

    The only "example" I could think of would be if gun manufacturers could manufacture guns with no ballistics.
    I have a hack that prevents the FBI from snooping into what you do on an iPhone. It really works. The hack is the following.....

    Wait for it....

    Don't buy one.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  10. #30
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Why the FBI Director really wants to be able to access your iPhone

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I am unsympathetic. Here's the thing... these phones were developed in large part because the public was clamoring for them. Why was the public clamoring for them? Precisely because the government... including Comey's FBI... was caught doing things it knew it shouldn't have been doing. In other words, they've proven themselves not trustworthy (yet again, imagine that!). While there is a fair point in his comments, he/they really have no one to blame but themselves.
    The public was clamoring?? Everyone I know has a cell phone. I've never heard one person say, "I want a phone that can't be tapped by the government." That's Oscar Mayer material.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •