Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Yale Student Hospitalized with Ebola-Like Symptoms

  1. #1
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Yale Student Hospitalized with Ebola-Like Symptoms

    It continues.
    Let's hope Tests are Negative (we'll know very soon), But this is ridiculous.
    Obumble&co Must Ban Commercial Flights and Passengers originating from the Infected countries, if not all of West Africa.
    Only Special Precaution Charter flights (with quarantines in Africa) should be making the transit.


    Yale Student Hospitalized with Ebola-Like Symptoms
    Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 • Updated at 3:07 PM EDT
    Yale Student Hospitalized with Ebola-Like Symptoms | NBC Connecticut
    VIDEOS within Link

    A Yale University doctoral student who recently returned from Liberia has been admitted to Yale-New Haven Hospital, where he is in isolation and being evaluated for Ebola-like symptoms.

    Two Yale students who had been conducting research in the West African country where Ebola is widespread returned on Saturday, Oct. 11 and have been kept in voluntary sequestration, Laurence Grothier, Director of Communication for Mayor Toni Harp, said this morning.

    A patient was admitted to Yale-New Haven Hospital Wednesday night after showing symptoms of Ebola.

    The student who was admitted to the hospital had no symptoms when he left Liberia and preliminary test results are expected back from a Massachusetts lab within 24 hours, hospital officials said.

    While hospital officials said it could take a day for results to come back, Gov. Dannel Malloy said during a news conference at 2 p.m. that the preliminary tests could be back in an hour to an hour and a half.

    Last week, Malloy declared a public health emergency in the state as a precaution, which granted the commissioner of the state Department of Public Health the authority to quarantine and isolate people whom she "reasonably believes has been exposed to the Ebola virus." Now, he has taken additional steps for the state to be prepared, including assembling a unified command team, led by the public health commissioner, and he has asked all hospitals to perform a drill within the next week to be sure that their procedures are up to standards.

    Earlier today:

    Air France Flight Grounded in Madrid Over Suspected Ebola Virus Case

    Passenger on the Flight Showed Symptoms of Ebola, Including Shaking, an Official Said
    http://online.wsj.com/articles/air-f...vefyre-comment
    Last edited by mbig; 10-16-14 at 04:46 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  2. #2
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Yale Student Hospitalized with Ebola-Like Symptoms

    I hope for everyone's sake this isn't another case of Ebola, but FFS someone needs to stop the commercial planes from willy nilly going back and forth here. This is not good.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Yale Student Hospitalized with Ebola-Like Symptoms

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I hope for everyone's sake this isn't another case of Ebola, but FFS someone needs to stop the commercial planes from willy nilly going back and forth here. This is not good.
    I agree, however, I know there are many on the right that will just say "Obama is abusing his power" should he stop flights.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Yale Student Hospitalized with Ebola-Like Symptoms

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I agree, however, I know there are many on the right that will just say "Obama is abusing his power" should he stop flights.
    Um, no they wont. This is a national heath issue.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Yale Student Hospitalized with Ebola-Like Symptoms

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Um, no they wont. This is a national heath issue.
    Sure they won't sure they won't. Many on the right's hatred for Obama trumps national care.

  6. #6
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,494
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Yale Student Hospitalized with Ebola-Like Symptoms

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    It continues.
    Let's hope Tests are Negative (we'll know very soon), But this is ridiculous.
    Obumble&co Must Ban Commercial Flights and Passengers originating from the Infected countries, if not all of West Africa.
    Only Special Precaution Charter flights (with quarantines in Africa) should be making the transit.


    Yale Student Hospitalized with Ebola-Like Symptoms
    Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 • Updated at 3:07 PM EDT
    Yale Student Hospitalized with Ebola-Like Symptoms | NBC Connecticut
    VIDEOS within Link

    A Yale University doctoral student who recently returned from Liberia has been admitted to Yale-New Haven Hospital, where he is in isolation and being evaluated for Ebola-like symptoms.

    Two Yale students who had been conducting research in the West African country where Ebola is widespread returned on Saturday, Oct. 11 and have been kept in voluntary sequestration, Laurence Grothier, Director of Communication for Mayor Toni Harp, said this morning.

    A patient was admitted to Yale-New Haven Hospital Wednesday night after showing symptoms of Ebola.

    The student who was admitted to the hospital had no symptoms when he left Liberia and preliminary test results are expected back from a Massachusetts lab within 24 hours, hospital officials said.

    While hospital officials said it could take a day for results to come back, Gov. Dannel Malloy said during a news conference at 2 p.m. that the preliminary tests could be back in an hour to an hour and a half.

    Last week, Malloy declared a public health emergency in the state as a precaution, which granted the commissioner of the state Department of Public Health the authority to quarantine and isolate people whom she "reasonably believes has been exposed to the Ebola virus." Now, he has taken additional steps for the state to be prepared, including assembling a unified command team, led by the public health commissioner, and he has asked all hospitals to perform a drill within the next week to be sure that their procedures are up to standards.

    Earlier today:

    Air France Flight Grounded in Madrid Over Suspected Ebola Virus Case

    Passenger on the Flight Showed Symptoms of Ebola, Including Shaking, an Official Said
    Air France Flight Grounded in Madrid Over Suspected Ebola Virus Case - WSJ
    Might be nearly time to stop flights coming from the US.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  7. #7
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Yale Student Hospitalized with Ebola-Like Symptoms

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I agree, however, I know there are many on the right that will just say "Obama is abusing his power" should he stop flights.
    Doubtful. This isn't a political debate. It's a national health and safety issue.

    I remember the left bitching to high heaven to this day that Bush didn't stop all flights indefinitely when he received the"intelligence" that Bin Laden planned to attack with planes, which would have been the only way to stop 9/11 from happening. Where are those same people today and why aren't they complaining that Obama is allowing free air travel in spite of the warning signs (which are very real and are causing problems now).
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Yale Student Hospitalized with Ebola-Like Symptoms

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Doubtful. This isn't a political debate. It's a national health and safety issue.

    I remember the left bitching to high heaven to this day that Bush didn't stop all flights indefinitely when he received the"intelligence" that Bin Laden planned to attack with planes, which would have been the only way to stop 9/11 from happening. Where are those same people today and why aren't they complaining that Obama is allowing free air travel in spite of the warning signs (which are very real and are causing problems now).
    Yeah and I remember the right defending Bush saying "Well we didn't know for sure". Works both ways. You just proved that politics DOES trump national health and safety issues.

  9. #9
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Yale Student Hospitalized with Ebola-Like Symptoms

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yeah and I remember the right defending Bush saying "Well we didn't know for sure". Works both ways. You just proved that politics DOES trump national health and safety issues.
    I actually didn't prove any such thing. And my example was after the fact, wasn't it, so yes, that was a political issue. This is a current issue - and a national health issue. It needs to be addressed before it becomes a crisis, and it's addressable right now. People weren't dying in advance of the 9/11 attacks to indicate to the nation what could potentially happen, were they?

    The tie in to closing the airports. Not politics and Monday morning partisan hackery.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #10
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Yale Student Hospitalized with Ebola-Like Symptoms

    How many cases from West Africa need to keep appearing in the US before they stop flights from affected countries or check passports?

    Africa stems Ebola via border closings, luck

    NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) -- Health officials battling the Ebola outbreak that has killed more than 4,500 people in West Africa have managed to limit its spread on the continent to five countries - and two of them appear to have snuffed out the disease.

    The developments constitute a modest success in an otherwise bleak situation.

    Officials credit tighter border controls, good patient-tracking and other medical practices, and just plain luck with keeping Ebola confined mostly to Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea since the outbreak was first identified nearly seven months ago.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •