Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 98

Thread: Obama administration ignored the CDCís advice to prevent an Ebola outbreak

  1. #31
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,336

    Re: Obama administration ignored the CDCís advice to prevent an Ebola outbreak

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Traval restrictions only give the illusion of security, one that only delays the inevitable by 4 or 5 weeks.

    The best thing to do is to fight the disease at its source and effectivly track patients who are exhibiting symptoms of the disease.
    In that delay period we might just come up with an effective method to cure or control the disease in the US. We do have promising cures. Apparently the supply is limited and the pre marketing studies have not been completed. It's time to implement some emergency measures.

    Controlling the disease in Africa? Do you have any idea what you are asking? This is an area of the world where people wipe their butts with their hands then proceed to cook dinner. There are over 3000 deaths, and lord knows how many illnesses. Few are quarantined, and so contact are in the millions. Good luck

  2. #32
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,973

    Re: Obama administration ignored the CDCís advice to prevent an Ebola outbreak

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    In that delay period we might just come up with an effective method to cure or control the disease in the US. We do have promising cures. Apparently the supply is limited and the pre marketing studies have not been completed. It's time to implement some emergency measures.

    Controlling the disease in Africa? Do you have any idea what you are asking? This is an area of the world where people wipe their butts with their hands then proceed to cook dinner. There are over 3000 deaths, and lord knows how many illnesses. Few are quarantined, and so contact are in the millions. Good luck
    And by shuting down the airports in those countries we would lose a valubable resource: tracking potentially infected people.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  3. #33
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,277

    Re: Obama administration ignored the CDCís advice to prevent an Ebola outbreak

    The plane that brought Duncan over from Africa should be renamed the " Ebola Gay "...

    What do you guys think ??

  4. #34
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,366

    Re: Obama administration ignored the CDCís advice to prevent an Ebola outbreak

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    hmm I can think of someone who has ownership but isn't taking any of the blame (he never does)...his name sounds pretty close to ebola.
    You mean EBOEHNER?

  5. #35
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Obama administration ignored the CDCís advice to prevent an Ebola outbreak

    So we're supposed to be angry that Obama didn't simply rubber stamp recommendations by a beuacratic government entity that wanted that want to significant expand it's spending and reach?

    I know the ends justifies the means for many people, but seriously...some of us give a damn about consistency here.

    If in 2008 Obama had just blindly went along with the CDC's recommendations and put forward support for funding of 18 new "health centers" all over the world he'd likely have been tore a new one, understandably so, for reckless spending within the beuacracy. Especially considering agencies are notorious for over estimating in their recommendations since it's a near given that the full recommendation will be scaled back.

    Sorry, but I'm not going to harp on Obama for not doing something I likely would've had an issue with him doing at the time simply due to hindsight. Especially since it's parent cabinet department, Health and Human Services, is one of the most routinely pointed to departments that Republican candidates and politicians and supporters have pointed at as being a prime candidate to be scaled back and cut in terms of funding.

    Sorry, on this case I just see nothing to get up in arms about.

  6. #36
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,336

    Re: Obama administration ignored the CDCís advice to prevent an Ebola outbreak

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    And by shuting down the airports in those countries we would lose a valubable resource: tracking potentially infected people.
    ????????

  7. #37
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,973

    Re: Obama administration ignored the CDCís advice to prevent an Ebola outbreak

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    ????????
    Collaboration with Airport security is a valuable resource in handling this crisis.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Obama administration ignored the CDCís advice to prevent an Ebola outbreak

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    The economic consequences of shuting down the ability of the west African to conduct trade and travel would cause more harm then good.
    Liberia's economy has basically ground to a halt. Their Farmers and agriculture has been devastated and they wont return to their fields. The other Nations are taking a hit too.

    Which what do you have to say about other countries putting up travel bans from those infected Nations?

  9. #39
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,973

    Re: Obama administration ignored the CDCís advice to prevent an Ebola outbreak

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Liberia's economy has basically ground to a halt. Their Farmers and agriculture has been devastated and they wont return to their fields. The other Nations are taking a hit too.

    Which what do you have to say about other countries putting up travel bans from those infected Nations?
    Good luck trying to find out who is infected.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  10. #40
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,336

    Re: Obama administration ignored the CDCís advice to prevent an Ebola outbreak

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So we're supposed to be angry that Obama didn't simply rubber stamp recommendations by a beuacratic government entity that wanted that want to significant expand it's spending and reach?

    I know the ends justifies the means for many people, but seriously...some of us give a damn about consistency here.

    If in 2008 Obama had just blindly went along with the CDC's recommendations and put forward support for funding of 18 new "health centers" all over the world he'd likely have been tore a new one, understandably so, for reckless spending within the beuacracy. Especially considering agencies are notorious for over estimating in their recommendations since it's a near given that the full recommendation will be scaled back.

    Sorry, but I'm not going to harp on Obama for not doing something I likely would've had an issue with him doing at the time simply due to hindsight. Especially since it's parent cabinet department, Health and Human Services, is one of the most routinely pointed to departments that Republican candidates and politicians and supporters have pointed at as being a prime candidate to be scaled back and cut in terms of funding.

    Sorry, on this case I just see nothing to get up in arms about.
    I tend to agree. I don't know of any President that would have done anything any different. Government is always reactive. Even the Founding Fathers didn't start the country until the British implemented a tax on tea.

    Other than blaming somebody else, the question should be what do we do now?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •