Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 466

Thread: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

  1. #451
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,332

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatNews2night View Post
    So, let's get this straight. You google stuff. I have professional training in it. Who should we believe? Tough question, let me think... mmm.... I'll go with me.

    Yes, virus can mutate. The flu virus for example has different strains every year as it mutates. It doesn't change the way it is transmitted, though. Again, get this: it is highly unlikely that the Ebola virus will become airborne. Impossible? No. Likely? Not at all.

    The virus doesn't "consider" anything. It doesn't think (you are too funny!). What changes is the epidemiology of transmission, making an epidemic or a minor outbreak behave radically differently in a Third World versus a First World country. You saying it doesn't matter is a *collossal* blunder, and for a person who makes this blunder to be putting down my training and knowledge of the topic is rather hilarious.

    I don't expect you to believe me because it doesn't fit your political agenda. Once this situation blows over and the United States does not get an Ebola African-like epidemic (it won't) then maybe you'll look back and realize that your concerns are foolish in epidemiological terms. They aren't foolish in political terms, though, since they are likely to get voters to refrain from voting for the candidates you don't want to see elected, in a week. In this sense, do run around yelling that the sky is falling because yes, it does favor your side and yes, it's reasonable (although irresponsible) to do it - just, don't pretend it is realistic, or else *you* look foolish.

    Meanwhile the second nurse is free from the virus so the only two cases of US transmission are over and no general public outbreak has happened which should give you pause (like I said, in developed country with decent medical facilities and isolation regulations, Ebola has a really hard time spreading like wild fire as it does in Africa).

    Unfortunately the United States is becoming an anti-Science country. Too bad. People pay attention to bad pop science - "Oh my God, the virus will become airborne, we're doomed" - and ignore good science - the one that indicates that this virus has been around for a while and has not become airborne, and likely won't.

    No, I don't need any more training, thank you. I hold two doctoral degrees, it's more than enough training.

    Lol !!

    Two doctoral degrees.......

    You claimed that stopping the distribution of Visa's to people from the Ebola ravaged area's of West wouldn't work because our Southern border isn't being protected.

    Ridiculous.

  2. #452
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatNews2night View Post
    So, let's get this straight. You google stuff. I have professional training in it. Who should we believe? Tough question, let me think... mmm.... I'll go with me.

    Yes, virus can mutate. The flu virus for example has different strains every year as it mutates. It doesn't change the way it is transmitted, though. Again, get this: it is highly unlikely that the Ebola virus will become airborne. Impossible? No. Likely? Not at all.

    The virus doesn't "consider" anything. It doesn't think (you are too funny!). What changes is the epidemiology of transmission, making an epidemic or a minor outbreak behave radically differently in a Third World versus a First World country. You saying it doesn't matter is a *collossal* blunder, and for a person who makes this blunder to be putting down my training and knowledge of the topic is rather hilarious.

    I don't expect you to believe me because it doesn't fit your political agenda. Once this situation blows over and the United States does not get an Ebola African-like epidemic (it won't) then maybe you'll look back and realize that your concerns are foolish in epidemiological terms. They aren't foolish in political terms, though, since they are likely to get voters to refrain from voting for the candidates you don't want to see elected, in a week. In this sense, do run around yelling that the sky is falling because yes, it does favor your side and yes, it's reasonable (although irresponsible) to do it - just, don't pretend it is realistic, or else *you* look foolish.

    Meanwhile the second nurse is free from the virus so the only two cases of US transmission are over and no general public outbreak has happened which should give you pause (like I said, in developed country with decent medical facilities and isolation regulations, Ebola has a really hard time spreading like wild fire as it does in Africa).

    Unfortunately the United States is becoming an anti-Science country. Too bad. People pay attention to bad pop science - "Oh my God, the virus will become airborne, we're doomed" - and ignore good science - the one that indicates that this virus has been around for a while and has not become airborne, and likely won't.

    No, I don't need any more training, thank you. I hold two doctoral degrees, it's more than enough training.
    Ok, then tell me why it is that every time you set those arrogant fingers to your keyboard, another report comrs to us of yet another person with symptoms? Why is it that you tell me to ignore the medical pros coming home and ignoring protocol then having to be rushed to the hospital with a positive? And why is it that troops coming back are quarantined in Italy and met on the tarmac by personal in full space suits instead of just flying home?

    But you are right in one thing. And that is that I don't for a second buy that you are a doctor with two degrees, largely for a couple of reasons...

    1. Your whole bent in talking about this is from a political stance, and as such you seek the usual progressive method of trying to demean, and shut down debate rather than discuss it like a professional.

    2. If you were a doc with these degrees I doubt that you'd be wasting your timw on a political message board. I could be wrong abput that one though.

    After all, I've always been honest about who I am, a truck driver that doesn't know it all, but would like to think I have common sense.

    Good day (doc?)
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #453
    Guru
    Porchev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    01-08-17 @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    3,092

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatNews2night View Post
    See your double standard. You made assumptions about my knowledge of virology or lack thereof, and then you say this:


    Well, you also don't know me. I assure you, I know a lot more about virology than you assume. Since I don't believe in pulling rank and talking about personal expertise in the Internet because nothing can be proven (this is an anonymous site and I certainly prefer to keep my private information, well, private), I won't say more; but I will say this: you are *completely* wrong when you assume I don't know my virology.


    You are wrong. Viruses can be clustered in classes and within the classes they do behave similarly. I repeat, Ebola is NOT an airborne virus, and significant chances that it will become one only exist in the wild dreams of non-serious scientists who want publicity. Ebola is not a new phenomenon. It's been around, and it is not airborne. Period.


    I'm only slightly liberal. In this Ebola "crisis" however I can clearly see what the Right is doing, and it isn't pretty.

    ----------

    Edit: Oh, and I forgot:

    You said:



    Oh wow. And *I'm* the one who doesn't know virology and epidemiology, in your opinion.

    Try this:

    An index case happens in West Africa. It rapidly spreads to family members. People don't use hospitals. No resources exist to isolate people, who live in dire sanitary conditions. People die like flies. The dead are touched extensively by family members in their rituals. Many more people contract it. The disease spreads like wild fire. Ignorant masses break into hospitals and take the patients out of hospitals, think the infection is a joke. Meanwhile more than half the health care providers die of the disease. Soon thousands of cases develop and it's projected that by January the number of new cases will reach 10,000 per week. Mortality is at 70%.



    The virus makes its entrance in America. One case infects two nurses out of the 170 people who cared for the patient. The two nurses are treated with advanced experimental medications and the serum of recovered patients. In a matter of days the virus is gone from their bodies and they recover. ALL other Americans similarly treated survive (a death rate of 0% as compared to 70% in Africa). No general public spread is seen.

    OK... according to you there is no epidemiological difference between transmission rates and mortality in the first world and third world, huh?

    And then... you question *my* knowledge of these matters.

    Good one.

    Tell me another good joke, please.
    So what do you think of this interesting news?:

    "CDC admits droplets from a sneeze could spread Ebola"
    CDC admits droplets from a sneeze could spread Ebola | New York Post

  4. #454
    Educator GreatNews2night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    04-07-17 @ 01:26 AM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    699

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Ok, then tell me why it is that every time you set those arrogant fingers to your keyboard, another report comrs to us of yet another person with symptoms? Why is it that you tell me to ignore the medical pros coming home and ignoring protocol then having to be rushed to the hospital with a positive? And why is it that troops coming back are quarantined in Italy and met on the tarmac by personal in full space suits instead of just flying home?

    But you are right in one thing. And that is that I don't for a second buy that you are a doctor with two degrees, largely for a couple of reasons...

    1. Your whole bent in talking about this is from a political stance, and as such you seek the usual progressive method of trying to demean, and shut down debate rather than discuss it like a professional.

    2. If you were a doc with these degrees I doubt that you'd be wasting your timw on a political message board. I could be wrong abput that one though.

    After all, I've always been honest about who I am, a truck driver that doesn't know it all, but would like to think I have common sense.

    Good day (doc?)
    I couldn't care less if you believe in my degrees or not. Be my guest, pretend it's not true. I won't lose any sleep over it.
    Yes, I don't have a lot of free time, which doesn't mean I don't have any and can't be online from time to time. What is your logic here? That's the most ridiculous argument I've ever heard. I'm not a frequent poster here. What I do for a living doesn't mean I work 100% of the time and I'm never online. LOL.
    Of course I'm talking about it from a political viewpoint. Hint: look at the name of this website. For your information, it is Debate POLITICS, not Virology Today.
    About all your points in your first paragraph, they are explained by panicky attitudes that don't match science. Sure, isolation is necessary, monitoring and quarantine of a few people who did come in contact with the virus are necessary. Saying that the virus will become airborne and spread in America like wild fire is unlikely and inaccurate. Period.
    Last edited by GreatNews2night; 11-05-14 at 08:35 AM.

  5. #455
    Educator GreatNews2night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    04-07-17 @ 01:26 AM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    699

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by Porchev View Post
    So what do you think of this interesting news?:

    "CDC admits droplets from a sneeze could spread Ebola"
    CDC admits droplets from a sneeze could spread Ebola | New York Post
    What I think of it? I don't just think, I know that when someone is highly contagious in the acute phase, all bodily fluids are contagious, which is not the same as the definition of an airborne virus. If you only knew more about the subject and didn't try to learn about it from tabloids like the New York Post, maybe you'd know the difference.

    As for someone who called me arrogant: it is hard not to be when one participates in a debate in which there is widespread gross ignorance like we're seeing in this thread. I'm just trying to set some basic facts straight, and when someone put me down for supposedly not knowing what I'm talking about, I just defended myself confirming that I do have professional training in this area. You don't want to believe, cool. Put me on Ignore, I couldn't care less. Have you all a good day.

  6. #456
    Educator GreatNews2night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    04-07-17 @ 01:26 AM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    699

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Lol !!

    Two doctoral degrees.......

    You claimed that stopping the distribution of Visa's to people from the Ebola ravaged area's of West wouldn't work because our Southern border isn't being protected.

    Ridiculous.
    When you call someone ridiculous, please try to at least refrain from calling the plural of visa, visa's, and the plural of area, area's.
    I was merely mentioning an example of how visas typically do not stop many from coming to our country. For your information, we already have visa requirements for citizens of Guinea, Sierra Leone, and Liberia. Just like other countries in Africa have said, a blanket prohibition of visas merely make people find ways around it, in which case they can't be traced and monitored, while legal visitants can.

  7. #457
    Educator GreatNews2night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    04-07-17 @ 01:26 AM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    699

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    LOL, more than 30 days have passed, way beyond the 21-day incubation period, and by now assuming that my opponents above who tried to ridicule my (correct) position were right, then probably the virus went airborne and 3,000,000 Americans have contracted Ebola and half of them have died, right?
    Oh wait: the facts, those annoying things that get in the way of conspiracy theorists and tend to disprove "the-sky-is-falling" idiots, are rather showing that the virus is still not airborne, and the number of infected Americans is precisely... ZERO!
    Of course, all the vociferous folks who were yelling at me have been strangely silent...
    Too funny. I couldn't make this up, if I wanted to.
    So, Fenton, Porchev, j-mac and all, where is the big epidemic you had been predicting?
    Nowhere to be seen? Yeah, I thought so.

  8. #458
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatNews2night View Post
    LOL, more than 30 days have passed, way beyond the 21-day incubation period, and by now assuming that my opponents above who tried to ridicule my (correct) position were right, then probably the virus went airborne and 3,000,000 Americans have contracted Ebola and half of them have died, right?
    Oh wait: the facts, those annoying things that get in the way of conspiracy theorists and tend to disprove "the-sky-is-falling" idiots, are rather showing that the virus is still not airborne, and the number of infected Americans is precisely... ZERO!
    Of course, all the vociferous folks who were yelling at me have been strangely silent...
    Too funny. I couldn't make this up, if I wanted to.
    So, Fenton, Porchev, j-mac and all, where is the big epidemic you had been predicting?
    Nowhere to be seen? Yeah, I thought so.
    We continue to import 100-150 more potential carriers every day. We still have a brigade of soldiers in Ebola country wasting their time. Nothing has changed has it?

    We have been silent because there has been no news.

  9. #459
    Educator GreatNews2night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    04-07-17 @ 01:26 AM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    699

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    We continue to import 100-150 more potential carriers every day. We still have a brigade of soldiers in Ebola country wasting their time. Nothing has changed has it?
    And like I said no outbreak happened in the United States, because Ebola has a modality of transmission that makes of it a disease of Third World countries, unlikely to spread in a developed country like the USA. So, see? All these 100-150 people enter every day, and we have ZERO Americans infected. Get it?

    We have been silent because there has been no news.
    LOL, too funny! There has been no news BECAUSE there has been no American outbreak, like I've been saying! It proves *my* point.

    Face it: you guys cried out loud that the sky was falling, and it worked for you - you got more votes in the mid-term elections. Now that the elections are over and no outbreak has materialized in the US, there is no more point in talking about it, for you. That's what it is. All the previous talk was political and not scientific, because all the serious scientist were saying (correctly) that the risk for the US population was miniscule.

    By the way, there is news. I just read yesterday that 2,000 people were screened for Ebola as arrivals from West Africa. You know how many cases were found? ZERO!!!

    Much ado about nothing.

  10. #460
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatNews2night View Post
    And like I said no outbreak happened in the United States, because Ebola has a modality of transmission that makes of it a disease of Third World countries, unlikely to spread in a developed country like the USA. So, see? All these 100-150 people enter every day, and we have ZERO Americans infected. Get it?


    LOL, too funny! There has been no news BECAUSE there has been no American outbreak, like I've been saying! It proves *my* point.

    Face it: you guys cried out loud that the sky was falling, and it worked for you - you got more votes in the mid-term elections. Now that the elections are over and no outbreak has materialized in the US, there is no more point in talking about it, for you. That's what it is. All the previous talk was political and not scientific, because all the serious scientist were saying (correctly) that the risk for the US population was miniscule.

    By the way, there is news. I just read yesterday that 2,000 people were screened for Ebola as arrivals from West Africa. You know how many cases were found? ZERO!!!

    Much ado about nothing.
    Maybe. Maybe not. Do you believe this story is over? Or is it in remission?

Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •