Page 42 of 47 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 466

Thread: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

  1. #411
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    And they immediately closed their borders
    Actually, the World Health Organization made no mention of closed borders and Time posted a story stating that Nigeria did not close its borders. From Time:

    Nigeria has not closed its borders to travelers from Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia, saying the move would be counterproductive. “Closing borders tends to reinforce panic and the notion of helplessness,” Shuaib said. “When you close the legal points of entry, then you potentially drive people to use illegal passages, thus compounding the problem.” Shuaib said that if public health strategies are implemented, outbreaks can be controlled, and that closing borders would only stifle commercial activities in the countries whose economies are already struggling due to Ebola.

    Ebola: WHO Declares Nigeria Free of Ebola

  2. #412
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    Actually, the World Health Organization made no mention of closed borders and Time posted a story stating that Nigeria did not close its borders. From Time:

    Nigeria has not closed its borders to travelers from Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia, saying the move would be counterproductive. “Closing borders tends to reinforce panic and the notion of helplessness,” Shuaib said. “When you close the legal points of entry, then you potentially drive people to use illegal passages, thus compounding the problem.” Shuaib said that if public health strategies are implemented, outbreaks can be controlled, and that closing borders would only stifle commercial activities in the countries whose economies are already struggling due to Ebola.

    Ebola: WHO Declares Nigeria Free of Ebola
    No doubt don, that Nigeria did a lot of things right that this administration did wrong...But border controls is absolutely one of them:

    "Officials credit tighter border controls, good patient-tracking and other medical practices, and just plain luck with keeping Ebola confined mostly to Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea since the outbreak was first identified nearly seven months ago."

    snip

    "Border closings may also be helping halt the spread of Ebola.

    Ivory Coast, Guinea-Bissau and Senegal, all of which share borders with at least one of the three most affected countries, have closed those borders."

    Africa Stems Ebola Via Border Closings, Luck - ABC News

    So, the question in your mind don as one of the smarter guys on these boards, is why would Time leave this part out of its story? Could it be a kneejerk desire to back the WH play and not rock the boat even at the cost of their own credibility?

    Or just bad reporting...?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #413
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No doubt don, that Nigeria did a lot of things right that this administration did wrong...But border controls is absolutely one of them:

    "Officials credit tighter border controls, good patient-tracking and other medical practices, and just plain luck with keeping Ebola confined mostly to Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea since the outbreak was first identified nearly seven months ago."

    snip

    "Border closings may also be helping halt the spread of Ebola.

    Ivory Coast, Guinea-Bissau and Senegal, all of which share borders with at least one of the three most affected countries, have closed those borders."

    Africa Stems Ebola Via Border Closings, Luck - ABC News

    So, the question in your mind don as one of the smarter guys on these boards, is why would Time leave this part out of its story? Could it be a kneejerk desire to back the WH play and not rock the boat even at the cost of their own credibility?

    Or just bad reporting...?
    The Time story was based on the WHO press release and interviews with Chukwu and Dr. Faisal Shuaib of the Nigeria's Ebola Emergency Operation Center. Tighter border controls are not necessarily the same thing as closed borders. Moreover, the story dealt only with Nigeria (Senegal also succeeded in eliminating Ebola).

    In any case, Time quoted Dr. Shuaib to the effect that Nigeria didn't close its borders. Obviously, at least IMO, more stringent border controls e.g., screening of travelers to name one example, can be helpful. Robust detection/screening at border entry points is very important. If a country lacks an adequate screening or detection capability, among other capacities required to deal with Ebola, border closures could well be among the possible options for consideration.

  4. #414
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    The Time story was based on the WHO press release and interviews with Chukwu and Dr. Faisal Shuaib of the Nigeria's Ebola Emergency Operation Center. Tighter border controls are not necessarily the same thing as closed borders. Moreover, the story dealt only with Nigeria (Senegal also succeeded in eliminating Ebola).

    In any case, Time quoted Dr. Shuaib to the effect that Nigeria didn't close its borders. Obviously, at least IMO, more stringent border controls e.g., screening of travelers to name one example, can be helpful. Robust detection/screening at border entry points is very important. If a country lacks an adequate screening or detection capability, among other capacities required to deal with Ebola, border closures could well be among the possible options for consideration.
    Ok, so now we have to play semantics games eh....Pitty, I expected better.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #415
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Ok, so now we have to play semantics games eh....Pitty, I expected better.
    No semantic games. From a story that covers both countries, it now appears that Nigeria and Senegal took different approaches on the issue as to whether to close their borders.

    Ebola-free: How did Nigeria and Senegal do it? - LA Times

  6. #416
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    No semantic games. From a story that covers both countries, it now appears that Nigeria and Senegal took different approaches on the issue as to whether to close their borders.

    Ebola-free: How did Nigeria and Senegal do it? - LA Times
    So when you stated:

    "Tighter border controls are not necessarily the same thing as closed borders."

    You weren't playing semantics? Ok man, what ever....Look, I am saying that it doesn't make sense that we are allowing possible infected people into the US that could get by considering the screening we have presently...I applaud the speed that our professionals are attacking this thing, but we are not getting leadership from our government, and now instead of someone that can be relied on to tell the truth to the people, we are getting a political hack to give us more propaganda, and level snark at those that don't buy into the Obama line....Ain't it wonderful?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #417
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So when you stated:

    "Tighter border controls are not necessarily the same thing as closed borders."

    You weren't playing semantics?
    I wasn't. Envision a line. At one end, there is a completely open border policy (no restrictions, checks, etc. of any kind). On the other end, the border is completely closed. As controls become tighter, one moves farther away from the open border point and closer to the closed border one. That's the point of my making the distinction. I hope this is clearer.

  8. #418
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    I wasn't. Envision a line. At one end, there is a completely open border policy (no restrictions, checks, etc. of any kind). On the other end, the border is completely closed. As controls become tighter, one moves farther away from the open border point and closer to the closed border one. That's the point of my making the distinction. I hope this is clearer.

    *Sigh* Fine...I just get tired of having to weigh every damned word so that some one, or another can say, "Oh, I didn't say that...." Is it not clear that I believe that tighter controls of our own borders in face of this is the way to go?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #419
    Educator GreatNews2night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    04-07-17 @ 01:26 AM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    699

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    *Sigh* Fine...I just get tired of having to weigh every damned word so that some one, or another can say, "Oh, I didn't say that...." Is it not clear that I believe that tighter controls of our own borders in face of this is the way to go?
    Well, several days later and with incubation periods being mostly over, we have no closed borders and no new cases either. It does seem by now that the hysteria that took the country by storm was grossly exaggerated. I'm guilty of the same; I was for at least cancelling visas for travelers from the affected countries, and mandatory quarantine for US citizens coming from them. It seems like the government was right after all, and the risk is much smaller than what all the Obama haters were claiming. I mean, not even the girlfriend and family members of the Liberian guy who died in Dallas contracted the disease. It looks like the nurses who did, failed protocol when removing the protective gear. This thing seems to only spread when people are *highly* symptomatic, vomiting and pooping and bleeding all over the place. That is, it only spreads in places with no medical care and no protective gear for health care workers, where people deal with the diseased at home and handle the dead bodies without protection (that is, only in third world messes). People talking about an American ebola "outbreak" should be ashamed by now. 1 foreigner dead. Two nurses who failed protocol got the disease. They are both being treated and doing fairly well. 330 million Americans remain ebola-free. Outbreak, indeed! Meanwhile the flu kills 30,000 Americans per year and there is no outcry about it.

  10. #420
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,370

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Page 42 of 47 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •