Page 33 of 47 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 466

Thread: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

  1. #321
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    From what I know, our government doesn't run that hospital in Dallas or employ the nurse that got infected. So no matter how hard you bend facts, your ideology of government hate can't cover this.
    The govt was supposed to be overseeing this-a Dallas hospital has ZERO experience in treating this, beyond the recent outbreak. And when a nurse called the CDC she was told multiple times it was safe to fly.

    Incompetence is what I hate-and things are too important to tolerate it.

    Even africa has figured out that closing borders slows the spread.

    News from The Associated Press

  2. #322
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,784

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    The govt was supposed to be overseeing this-a Dallas hospital has ZERO experience in treating this, beyond the recent outbreak. And when a nurse called the CDC she was told multiple times it was safe to fly.

    Incompetence is what I hate-and things are too important to tolerate it.

    Even africa has figured out that closing borders slows the spread.

    News from The Associated Press
    PANIC!!!11111!!1!!!!!!

    It won't spread like that here and of those who do catch it here, it won't have a death rate like it does in Africa here. We are not Africa.

    btw... if incomptence is what you truly hate, you wouldn't be voting for republican for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  3. #323
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    It's not so easy to spread. It's just news trying to get ratings. The reason why it's spreading so easily in Africa is that their tradition for handling dead bodies puts them in contact with their bodily fluids. A person dies of Ebola and the relatives traditionally wash the dead bodies. It won't spread here like it does there.
    It is apparently much easier than the CDC was telling us initially. If two nurses are positive, and being that nurses know how to avoid intimate contact with infectious bodily fluids, this leads me to believe it's easier than we were told. We were being told that contact precautions were the proper isolation technique when it was first learned that ebola was here in the states. That was apparently bull****. The CDC people who are dealing with it look like they are in hazmat suits, not hospital contact precaution garb.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  4. #324
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    PANIC!!!11111!!1!!!!!!

    It won't spread like that here and of those who do catch it here, it won't have a death rate like it does in Africa here. We are not Africa.

    btw... if incomptence is what you truly hate, you wouldn't be voting for republican for sure.
    None of what you just said addresses my points.

  5. #325
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,784

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    It is apparently much easier than the CDC was telling us initially. If two nurses are positive, and being that nurses know how to avoid intimate contact with infectious bodily fluids, this leads me to believe it's easier than we were told. We were being told that contact precautions were the proper isolation technique when it was first learned that ebola was here in the states. That was apparently bull****. The CDC people who are dealing with it look like they are in hazmat suits, not hospital contact precaution garb.
    Well its not only what you wear that's important. It's also how you disrobe and discard said garments. Which I think may have been the issue here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  6. #326
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,784

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    None of what you just said addresses my points.
    Your point it obvious. EBOLA! PANIC! It's the gubamints fault!

    You have no point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  7. #327
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Your point it obvious. EBOLA! PANIC! It's the gubamints fault!

    You have no point.
    Like I said, I dont think you understand what the word panic means.

  8. #328
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    I agree. Some degree of risk will always exist for the reason you cited. The extent of risk society is willing to tolerate is a policy choice. Resource allocation that gives greater weight to ensuring an inventory of certain equipment and training for critical personnel can mitigate the risk, even if one is dealing strictly with a reallocation of existing resources.
    If everyone understood this, the country would be in a better place. The GOP accuses Obama of rationing healthcare. As if Healthcare was previously an infinite resource. I think as a society, too many people have simply stopped thinking, stopped researching and are just parroting the talking heads on the mainstream news. The issue with resource allocation is that you'll get those being relocated from upset and given that it's more likely they're the ones with the regular occurring need, it's going to be much louder. We could have a country wide 100% capability to stop hantavirus. We don't. Because it's fairly rare to get that. The resources to do that would draw away from stuff like chemo, pediatrics, and disease research. It bothers me that people don't seem to understand that we simply cannot be prepared for everything because we don't have the resources to do so. But I suppose more people these days care about scoring political points than being adults.

    I don't believe it is feasible to expect every hospital to have such a capacity. Having at least one hospital with such capacities in defined regions is more practical. The U.S. needs a coherent response strategy for such a scenario. That does not mean that every medical facility would play leading roles. One might envision a scenario where, in the case of a pandemic, certain medical facilities would take on patients with routine health issues to free up space at designated critical care institutions assigned the leading role for combating a pandemic.
    I was actually referring to total hospital capacity in an average city. Just the number of bed available for patients is just not enough in the event of something like a major train wreck, huge gas explosion or tsunami. Thousands of people could be injured and we simply don't have the available beds for them. It's not even the notion of specialist hospitals. The basic measure of patient capacity simply isn't there. If 20,000 people got sick in Seattle, can the Seattle and greater Seattle hospitals take them on with their regular patient loads? Not a chance, I doubt they could even handle 5,000 extra patients needing a bed in one day. I know my city is basically screwed in the event of a serious major disaster where thousands are injured. Excess bed capacity is measured in the low hundreds, if that. And there's a reason for that. Maintaining that level of patient care for patients who aren't there 99.99% of the time is financially stupid. So by keeping our existing hospitals financially secure, aka lean, we are ensuring that we do not have the spare patient capacity that we'll need in the event of a disaster or pandemic. I don't see a good alternative to this as the cost to maintain lots of empty medical capacity would be horridly expensive, but at the same time I think it's flat out ridiculous to throw partisan blame at each other over this.

    Overall, the early experience with Ebola in the U.S. has exposed some gaps. Remedying some of those gaps does not really require significant new resources. For example, the CDC's communications have been somewhat sloppy. An emphasis on sticking only to the facts, refraining from making sweeping or overconfident statements for which there isn't sufficiently strong evidence to sustain them, etc., could have avoided many of those early communications-related issues. The CDC can ill afford to the lose the public's confidence concerning a virus that quite frankly the U.S. public poorly understands. Already, at least some media outlets seem to be treating what is still an extremely limited incidence of Ebola in the U.S. as a sort of emergent and inevitable epidemic. Such coverage has dissected the CDC's early statements and seems to have created excessive anxiety.
    I don't disagree with this, but it does look like hospitals themselves need to practice overly cautious protocols and they needed to do so early on.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #329
    Educator GreatNews2night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    04-07-17 @ 01:26 AM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    699

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Does anybody here have a list of countries and airlines that have banned travel from West Africa? I'm particularly interested in learning if Singapore has banned such flights.
    Last edited by GreatNews2night; 10-17-14 at 06:03 AM.

  10. #330
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatNews2night View Post
    Does anybody here has a list of countries and airlines that have banned travel from West Africa? I'm particularly interested in learning if Singapore has banned such flights.
    Ivory Coast, Guinea-Bissau and Senegal have. Dont know if any airline has its own policy regarding this though.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...ings-luck.html

Page 33 of 47 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •