Page 22 of 47 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 466

Thread: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

  1. #211
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,340
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Mornin DS. The reports out this morning, are the CDC gave her the go ahead. How long before you think BO fires Freiden?
    If this is true, the CDC has shown itself to be utterly incompetent, why would they green light her and why would she green light herself knowing the risk, knowing what just happened to Ms Pham.

    It's utter insanity.

    Having said that I'm not worried about the 132 passengers on the plane though we should definitely check up on that.

  2. #212
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Mornin DS. The reports out this morning, are the CDC gave her the go ahead. How long before you think BO fires Freiden?
    I'm not sure that firing Dr. Frieden would be appropriate or necessary. I do think the CDC needs to look at its own response to assure that slip-ups as occurred in this case don't recur.

    The President should also appoint a Surgeon General to also play a leading role in the government's response to Ebola. I realize that there is a nominee, but that nominee has faced confirmation issues. If necessary, the President should appoint, a respected former Surgeon General. On the Surgeon General issue, CNN had a decent editorial:

    Ebola scare: We need a surgeon general (opinion) - CNN.com

  3. #213
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Don't walk off that cliff.
    The cliff is marked, "Liberal Agenda"
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #214
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,340
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Ok, fair enough. However, your horse in this race as you put it, is not being served well by minimizing the threat we now face.

    The border remains unsecured, and now this latest case where the nurse traveled to OH and back on domestic flights. Where's the people on those flights? How many did she come in contact with? What hotel did she stay at?

    The potential for an out of control situation to take hold is now there, and we are supposed to believe a CDC, and administration that lies and has to change their story daily?

    We are being lied to.
    The problem is you want so badly to make this political.

    And that's why none of what you say matters because this isn't about the disease for you, this is more about the Obama Administration.

    Having said that with the CDC, the fact that that Nurse was greenlit to fly is unforgivable, how that was allowed I have absolutely no idea, someones head needs to roll over that.

  5. #215
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
    it can't be transmitted as an airborn illness.....right?
    From the World Health Organization:

    Ebola is introduced into the human population through close contact with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected animals such as chimpanzees, gorillas, fruit bats, monkeys, forest antelope and porcupines found ill or dead or in the rainforest.

    Ebola then spreads through human-to-human transmission via direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people, and with surfaces and materials (e.g. bedding, clothing) contaminated with these fluids.


    WHO | Ebola virus disease

  6. #216
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,340
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The cliff is marked, "Liberal Agenda"

  7. #217
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    I agree. Some degree of risk will always exist for the reason you cited. The extent of risk society is willing to tolerate is a policy choice. Resource allocation that gives greater weight to ensuring an inventory of certain equipment and training for critical personnel can mitigate the risk, even if one is dealing strictly with a reallocation of existing resources.



    I don't believe it is feasible to expect every hospital to have such a capacity. Having at least one hospital with such capacities in defined regions is more practical. The U.S. needs a coherent response strategy for such a scenario. That does not mean that every medical facility would play leading roles. One might envision a scenario where, in the case of a pandemic, certain medical facilities would take on patients with routine health issues to free up space at designated critical care institutions assigned the leading role for combating a pandemic.

    Overall, the early experience with Ebola in the U.S. has exposed some gaps. Remedying some of those gaps does not really require significant new resources. For example, the CDC's communications have been somewhat sloppy. An emphasis on sticking only to the facts, refraining from making sweeping or overconfident statements for which there isn't sufficiently strong evidence to sustain them, etc., could have avoided many of those early communications-related issues. The CDC can ill afford to the lose the public's confidence concerning a virus that quite frankly the U.S. public poorly understands. Already, at least some media outlets seem to be treating what is still an extremely limited incidence of Ebola in the U.S. as a sort of emergent and inevitable epidemic. Such coverage has dissected the CDC's early statements and seems to have created excessive anxiety.

    Personally, I don't think Ebola is going to wind up being a big problem in the United States. Even with the issues that have occurred, the U.S. is vastly better prepared to deal with Ebola than the West African states at the epicenter of the outbreak. Superior resources and infrastructure make a world of difference.


    Well there is good reason to report on it.....first it was one infected. Then observing 50 some other people who all came in contact with him. That's outside the Hospital. Then, we now have 76 Medical People and now they have to be observed with 2 of their Nurses becoming infected.

    Now we hear one travels on a plane there and back. Now the CDC wants to talk to and Observe another 130 some people.

    Plus now they have to quarantine people the one Nurse saw in Akron. While Closing off any places she was in. Which we haven't been given that figure yet.

    While at the same time.....the CDC says they are expecting more to come down with the infection.

  8. #218
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    If this is true, the CDC has shown itself to be utterly incompetent, why would they green light her and why would she green light herself knowing the risk, knowing what just happened to Ms Pham.

    It's utter insanity.

    Having said that I'm not worried about the 132 passengers on the plane though we should definitely check up on that.
    Mornin JBM. Because they are saying she didn't have the fever when she flew to Cleveland. Also because Vinson has worked with 2 others who were infected with Ebola and she never had caught it before.

    Yet, Freiden was bitching about protocols and the CDC approved the travel. Even after knowing it would be public transportation.

  9. #219
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,340
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Well there is good reason to report on it.....first it was one infected. Then observing 50 some other people who all came in contact with him. That's outside the Hospital. Then, we now have 76 Medical People and now they have to be observed with 2 of their Nurses becoming infected.

    Now we hear one travels on a plane there and back. Now the CDC wants to talk to and Observe another 130 some people.

    Plus now they have to quarantine people the one Nurse saw in Akron. While Closing off any places she was in. Which we haven't been given that figure yet.

    While at the same time.....the CDC says they are expecting more to come down with the infection.
    One thing I would add though, is they're not taking all these steps strictly because they're worried about that scale of infection, especially in the plane incident, if she wasn't symptomatic there's really nothing to worry about, though she absolutely shouldn't have been allowed to fly.

    They just want to calm the publics nerves, by taking large and bold steps they think they can calm people that way, it may not work because the Media has stirred everyone into a frenzy but we'll see.

  10. #220
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: SECOND Dallas Hospital Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Well there is good reason to report on it.....first it was one infected. Then observing 50 some other people who all came in contact with him. That's outside the Hospital. Then, we now have 76 Medical People and now they have to be observed with 2 of their Nurses becoming infected.

    Now we hear one travels on a plane there and back. Now the CDC wants to talk to and Observe another 130 some people.

    Plus now they have to quarantine people the one Nurse saw in Akron. While Closing off any places she was in. Which we haven't been given that figure yet.

    While at the same time.....the CDC says they are expecting more to come down with the infection.
    I don't have issues with reporting on the situation. But the reporting should stick strictly with the facts and avoid speculation. At the same time, media stories should provide key information e.g., on how the virus is spread, because many Americans don't know that it is not transmitted airborne unlike, for example, influenza. Hence, many assume that the 132 passengers and flight crew are at genuine risk of contracting Ebola. In fact, the risk is probably extremely to very low given how the virus is spread. Additional cases are more likely among the health care workers who treated the Ebola patient in Dallas given the initial lack of adequate equipment and training to deal with such cases.

Page 22 of 47 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •