Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 157

Thread: Appeals court reinstates Texas voter ID law

  1. #81
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Appeals court reinstates Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Question Riskey...

    What is the difference between spending X amount of resources to run an ad on television aimed at getting people to vote for your favored candidate and spending X amount of resources to physically pick up and bus people to the polling place that are likely to vote for your favored candidate?
    Theoretically, I see no difference. Once the costs reach into the millions I would submit that it is more cost effective to spend, say, 10 million dollars on media than 10 million on polling place transportation.

    [Do you think money should be the only resource that is limited under the law? Or are you legally going to punish and restrict one type of resource (money) while allowing unlimited usage of other resourecs (like ones time)?
    Yes. Volunteers are certainly critical, but money buys elections. It is proven to be effective. As you know, media now practices the disgusting habit of reporting how much money candidates have raised as the key indicator of a candidate's potential. They don't count volunteer hours, or volunteers. They count money. Candidates count money. Elected officials spend much of their time raising money. Money. Money. Money. Money buys votes more than anything else.

    Should there be similar limits on the amount of volunteer time that a campaign can utilize or can be done in support of a camapaign?
    No, I don't see why there should be.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  2. #82
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Appeals court reinstates Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    I've found that the REAL reason that the Democrats are so up in arms over the Supreme court's decision on Citizens United is because they no longer have a monopoly on massive amounts of dirty money leveraging elections in their favor.

    Unions have been doing what you just described for DECADES
    Certainly. And why is it that Republicans aren't up in arms about the amount of dirty corporate money leveraging elections? Wrong is wrong. Buying votes is wrong. Wouldn't you agree? Buying politicians is worse, no? Both are wrong. Do you not oppose both?










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  3. #83
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Appeals court reinstates Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I'm entirely in favor of that. I think that people ought to be able to register to vote at the DMV, assuming they can prove they are American citizens. That's great. They get a legal ID to show at the polling place and get to register at the same time. Kill two birds with one stone.
    Republicans fight tooth and nail to prevent this. The reason why is because they know that if more people are able to register easily, more people will vote, which is not good for Republicans.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #84
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Appeals court reinstates Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    I'm ok with that. In fact, Texas allows you to do just that. That's how I registered.
    Why do you think that Republicans always fight against it?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #85
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Appeals court reinstates Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Republicans fight tooth and nail to prevent this. The reason why is because they know that if more people are able to register easily, more people will vote, which is not good for Republicans.
    Well I'm a Republican and I don't. Other Republicans have chimed in and said the same thing. Apparently, you're wrong.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #86
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Appeals court reinstates Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    California does the same thing and I think it's a good idea. I can't think of any conservatives who actually want to stop people who are legally entitled to vote from doing so. That's just a myth thrown around by the liberals who want to get illegal aliens on the voter rolls.
    You obviously haven't been paying attention then....Republicans always fight against motor voter laws...almost without fail
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #87
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Appeals court reinstates Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    You obviously haven't been paying attention then....Republicans always fight against motor voter laws...almost without fail
    Except when they don't.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #88
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Appeals court reinstates Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Well I'm a Republican and I don't. Other Republicans have chimed in and said the same thing. Apparently, you're wrong.
    LOL....oh....because you and a handful of other wingers on this site don't oppose it....that trumps the history of Republicans opposing motor voter legislation over the last decades....okie dokie.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #89
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Appeals court reinstates Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Why do you think that Republicans always fight against it?
    They don't...they implement it.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  10. #90
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Appeals court reinstates Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    They don't...they implement it.
    riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Pay attention. Republicans actively oppose motor voter laws everytime they come up.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •