Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 157

Thread: Appeals court reinstates Texas voter ID law

  1. #21
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: Appeals court reinstates Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    If there is no in-person voter fraud then what purpose does such a law serve? How would a voter ID law mitigate such a problem even if it did exist?
    Can you prove it doesn't exist?

    http://www.politifact.com/texas/stat...ctions-and-gu/
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #22
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: Appeals court reinstates Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    How can it be unconstitutional when the voter ID's are free? If I recollect right every state that offered free voter ID's, their law was ruled constitutional. My home state of Georgia is one of them.
    Yeah, the ID I use to buy a gun? I paid for that mother****er!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #23
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,890

    Re: Appeals court reinstates Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yeah, the ID I use to buy a gun? I paid for that mother****er!
    That's nice.

    Charging for an ID and then requiring that ID to vote is a poll tax, which is an explicit violation of the 24th Amendment.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  4. #24
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: Appeals court reinstates Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    That's nice.

    Charging for an ID and then requiring that ID to vote is a poll tax, which is an explicit violation of the 24th Amendment.
    I have to pay money to get a license, just to have a job and you expect me to worry about someone getting an ID for free?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #25
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,890

    Re: Appeals court reinstates Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I have to pay money to get a license, just to have a job and you expect me to worry about someone getting an ID for free?
    This in absolutely no way refutes (or even has dick-all to do with) anything I posted.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  6. #26
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Appeals court reinstates Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    If there is no in-person voter fraud then what purpose does such a law serve?
    People shouldn't have to prove who they are to vote?

    What a genuinely trusting, naive thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  7. #27
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: Appeals court reinstates Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    This in absolutely no way refutes (or even has dick-all to do with) anything I posted.
    Noting you posted has dick-all to do with the topic, neither.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #28
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Appeals court reinstates Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Good. Glad to hear it. Whenever anyone has an issue to proving who they are, in order to vote, thus influence our entire legal system, I have questions about their honesty and integrity. If voting is important to you, you shouldn't mind showing that you're doing it legitimately.
    It's never about reluctance to prove one's identity. It's about one's ability to obtain the paperwork, which is more expensive and time consuming than conservatives are willing to admit. If these laws came with a method for providing ID cards, at no cost, to all voters, then liberals would probably get behind them. We're not at all opposed to making sure that votes are cast legally. We're opposed to people being turned away from the polls on election day and not getting to vote at all. We're opposed to putting any extra burdens on lawful voting.

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Exactly- an excellent point. It is my right to buy a gun, but I am required to not only show ID, but also go through a federal background check. Let's see how that would go if it were a voting rights issue.
    It's probably because voting and gun ownership are different things, and different things are treated differently and have different levels of constitutional protection. One has nothing to do with the other.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  9. #29
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,890

    Re: Appeals court reinstates Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Noting you posted has dick-all to do with the topic, neither.
    Uh, yeah it does. Have you been paying any attention to the discussion in which you've been participating?
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  10. #30
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,890

    Re: Appeals court reinstates Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    It's never about reluctance to prove one's identity. It's about one's ability to obtain the paperwork, which is more expensive and time consuming than conservatives are willing to admit. If these laws came with a method for providing ID cards, at no cost, to all voters, then liberals would probably get behind them. We're not at all opposed to making sure that votes are cast legally. We're opposed to people being turned away from the polls on election day and not getting to vote at all. We're opposed to putting any extra burdens on lawful voting.
    I've posted basically this more times than I can count. It is always ignored or pooh-poohed by far-right partisans.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •