Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 116

Thread: Houston Mayor orders pastors to turn over sermons, internal communications

  1. #1
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Houston Mayor orders pastors to turn over sermons about gays, gender and... the mayor

    The Mayor of Houston has ordered pastors to turn over sermons and other documents pertaining to their positions on gender identity, the mayor, and homosexuality.

    City of Houston demands pastors turn over sermons | Fox News

    Sure, the order was made in response to litigation. At the same time, all but the most dimwitted realize that Americans enjoy very broadly defined freedoms of religion and speech- whether they are a church or Hustler magazine with their famous / infamous satires. In short, even if the material is ordered to be provided, what exactly can the Mayor or the litigants do with it? In addition, I think laws forbidding pastors from taking open political stances in return for tax exemption are a federal matter, not a local matter.

    Things are getting pretty maoist in Houston. I hope the pastors in question tell the mayor to uhmmm..... well *&%O(
    Last edited by Cryptic; 10-14-14 at 07:36 PM.

  2. #2
    Guru
    RogueWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Atheist Utopia aka Reality
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:44 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,631

    Re: Houston Mayor orders pastors to turn over sermons about gays, gender and... the m

    First with out reading linkl

    WTF stay out of churches ffs and they will stay out of government

    After reading: what bovine excrement. Leave churches alone!
    Everyone is born a homo sapiens sapiens but not everyone is a human. -RW
    Trumplethinskin! 4 handicap and getting better every weekend!
    Alex Jones for Press Secretary!!!!!!


  3. #3
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Houston Mayor orders pastors to turn over sermons about gays, gender and... the m

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    The Mayor of Houston has ordered pastors to turn over sermons and other documents pertaining to their positions on gender identity, the mayor, and homosexuality.

    City of Houston demands pastors turn over sermons | Fox News

    Sure, the order was made in response to litigation. At the same time, all but the most dimwitted realize that Americans enjoy very broadly defined freedoms of religion and speech- whether they are a church or Hustler magazine with their famous / infamous satires. In short, even if the material is ordered to be provided, what exactly can the Mayor or the litigants do with it? In addition, I think laws forbidding pastors from taking open political stances in return for tax exemption are a federal matter, not a local matter.

    Things are getting pretty maoist in Houston. I hope the pastors in question tell the mayor to uhmmm..... well *&%O(
    First, here is an actual news story as opposed the the opinion piece you posted: City subpoenas pastors' sermons in equal rights ordinance case - Houston Chronicle

    Not sure how freedom of speech or religion is relevant here since the subpoena only asks for publicly made comments of the churches. Kinda hard to claim suppression of speech to ask what they already said in public.

    Your opinion piece is also dishonest. The language about bathroom usage was removed before the bill was passed, and was always specific to transgender people, not any one: Mayor drops bathroom provision from nondiscrimination ordinance - Houston Chronicle
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,247

    Re: Houston Mayor orders pastors to turn over sermons, internal communications

    She's such a useless hack !


    What the relevance of past comments anyway.

  5. #5
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,375

    Re: Houston Mayor orders pastors to turn over sermons about gays, gender and... the m

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    First, here is an actual news story as opposed the the opinion piece you posted: City subpoenas pastors' sermons in equal rights ordinance case - Houston Chronicle

    Not sure how freedom of speech or religion is relevant here since the subpoena only asks for publicly made comments of the churches. Kinda hard to claim suppression of speech to ask what they already said in public.

    Your opinion piece is also dishonest. The language about bathroom usage was removed before the bill was passed, and was always specific to transgender people, not any one: Mayor drops bathroom provision from nondiscrimination ordinance - Houston Chronicle
    If the government has a case to make, then they can compile evidence themselves. Asking a church, regardless of affiliation or beliefs for documentation of what was said in that church is offensive. How does something said in a church discriminate anyway?

  6. #6
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,900

    Re: Houston Mayor orders pastors to turn over sermons about gays, gender and... the m

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    First, here is an actual news story as opposed the the opinion piece you posted: City subpoenas pastors' sermons in equal rights ordinance case - Houston Chronicle

    Not sure how freedom of speech or religion is relevant here since the subpoena only asks for publicly made comments of the churches. Kinda hard to claim suppression of speech to ask what they already said in public.

    Your opinion piece is also dishonest. The language about bathroom usage was removed before the bill was passed, and was always specific to transgender people, not any one: Mayor drops bathroom provision from nondiscrimination ordinance - Houston Chronicle
    Yes, the provision was dropped, and Mayor Parker then Tweeted, ""To my trans sisters/brothers: you're still fully protected in Equal Rights Ordinance. We're simply removing language that singled you out. -A." Mayor drops bathroom provision from nondiscrimination ordinance - Houston Chronicle

    Why would the City of Houston need to review sermons? This makes me a little uneasy.

  7. #7
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Houston Mayor orders pastors to turn over sermons about gays, gender and... the m

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    If the government has a case to make, then they can compile evidence themselves. Asking a church, regardless of affiliation or beliefs for documentation of what was said in that church is offensive. How does something said in a church discriminate anyway?
    The way both sides in a legal case compile evidence is through the use of subpoenas. You did not know that?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #8
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Houston Mayor orders pastors to turn over sermons about gays, gender and... the m

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Yes, the provision was dropped, and Mayor Parker then Tweeted, ""To my trans sisters/brothers: you're still fully protected in Equal Rights Ordinance. We're simply removing language that singled you out. -A." Mayor drops bathroom provision from nondiscrimination ordinance - Houston Chronicle

    Why would the City of Houston need to review sermons? This makes me a little uneasy.
    Dunno why. Could be as simple as a rumor that one church was suggesting falsifying petition signatures. No one is saying, nor are they likely to. A subpoena is not an accusation of wrongdoing, it is not intimidation as suggested, and in fact the process to subpoena documents for any court cases is pretty trivial and done in pretty much all civil cases or legal cases where facts are disputed. If one side thinks the documents could, possibly, help there case, they will subpoena them.

    Now I will suggest that the subpoena process could definately be improved, though I would not be surprised if such changes would be too expensive to implement and cause as many problems as they solve. Under the law now, there is nothing at all wrong with subpoenaing documents.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #9
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,360

    Re: Houston Mayor orders pastors to turn over sermons about gays, gender and... the m

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Dunno why. Could be as simple as a rumor that one church was suggesting falsifying petition signatures. No one is saying, nor are they likely to. A subpoena is not an accusation of wrongdoing, it is not intimidation as suggested, and in fact the process to subpoena documents for any court cases is pretty trivial and done in pretty much all civil cases or legal cases where facts are disputed. If one side thinks the documents could, possibly, help there case, they will subpoena them.

    Now I will suggest that the subpoena process could definately be improved, though I would not be surprised if such changes would be too expensive to implement and cause as many problems as they solve. Under the law now, there is nothing at all wrong with subpoenaing documents.
    A subpoena has to be backed up with probable cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #10
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Houston Mayor orders pastors to turn over sermons about gays, gender and... the m

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    A subpoena has to be backed up with probable cause.
    Document please.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •