Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Death of British 'troll' sparks debate over Internet bile

  1. #11
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Death of British 'troll' sparks debate over Internet bile

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    There is no need for additional laws to deal with trolling. Perjury laws and such can and should be used to stop people from spreading lies about others online, though it is difficult. On sites like this one, there are rules, the enforcement of which is generally pretty good and effective. In terms of online bullying, well, free speech, like every other right, can be used in negative ways. That is not a reason nor a justification to limit rights.
    Yeah, I think you got this one about right red.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #12
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Death of British 'troll' sparks debate over Internet bile

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Round them up, make them live under bridges.
    good one.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #13
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Death of British 'troll' sparks debate over Internet bile

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Interesting article. And although it is speaking of what laws against extreme serial trolling can be brought up is the crux of the article, which is a debate on free speech vs criminal bullying, I think that some things talked about concerning trolling, and the people that do it are a relevant discussion to have today.

    I am trying to not break the rules here so I won't mention anyone, but we all know who the bullies are on this site, and how sadistic they seem to be, so my question for the thread, is two fold.

    1. What is wrong with these people that they feel the need to come in and **** all over the sites they go on?

    2. Do you think that this kind of thing should be against the law? Should people be jailed for it? Thought crime?

    When I was young, “bullying”, by definition, involved actual physical violence or threats of same.

    I am amazed at how cowardly and weak we have become, in more recent generations, that mere speech can now be construed as “bullying”. When I was young, the motto was, “Sticks and stones can break my bones, but names will never hurt me.” I guess modern generations have become so weak that even names can hurt them. It seems modern generations are at least as easily hurt at least as badly, by mere speech, as it took actual violence to harm members of my generation.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Death of British 'troll' sparks debate over Internet bile

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Interesting article. And although it is speaking of what laws against extreme serial trolling can be brought up is the crux of the article, which is a debate on free speech vs criminal bullying, I think that some things talked about concerning trolling, and the people that do it are a relevant discussion to have today.

    I am trying to not break the rules here so I won't mention anyone, but we all know who the bullies are on this site, and how sadistic they seem to be, so my question for the thread, is two fold.

    1. What is wrong with these people that they feel the need to come in and **** all over the sites they go on?

    2. Do you think that this kind of thing should be against the law? Should people be jailed for it? Thought crime?
    How did she die?

  5. #15
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Death of British 'troll' sparks debate over Internet bile

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    When I was young, “bullying”, by definition, involved actual physical violence or threats of same.

    I am amazed at how cowardly and weak we have become, in more recent generations, that mere speech can now be construed as “bullying”. When I was young, the motto was, “Sticks and stones can break my bones, but names will never hurt me.” I guess modern generations have become so weak that even names can hurt them. It seems modern generations are at least as easily hurt at least as badly, by mere speech, as it took actual violence to harm members of my generation.
    I agree, however I also know that from our day's, bullying has gone way further....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #16
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Death of British 'troll' sparks debate over Internet bile

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    When I was young, “bullying”, by definition, involved actual physical violence or threats of same.

    I am amazed at how cowardly and weak we have become, in more recent generations, that mere speech can now be construed as “bullying”. When I was young, the motto was, “Sticks and stones can break my bones, but names will never hurt me.” I guess modern generations have become so weak that even names can hurt them. It seems modern generations are at least as easily hurt at least as badly, by mere speech, as it took actual violence to harm members of my generation.
    It's not "cowardly and weak" to be sensitive, which is really what we've become. Can we be to sensitive, sure, and I think the thin skin cab cause some jabs to go deeper than they would of some years ago. However, that doesn't mean that a more sensitive society is a "weaker one". For one thing, we are far more tolerant as a society than "back in the day". We're also more open to new ideas. These are two things I'll take every day over the thick skin of yesteryear.

  7. #17
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,459
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Death of British 'troll' sparks debate over Internet bile

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    When I was young, “bullying”, by definition, involved actual physical violence or threats of same.

    I am amazed at how cowardly and weak we have become, in more recent generations, that mere speech can now be construed as “bullying”. When I was young, the motto was, “Sticks and stones can break my bones, but names will never hurt me.” I guess modern generations have become so weak that even names can hurt them. It seems modern generations are at least as easily hurt at least as badly, by mere speech, as it took actual violence to harm members of my generation.
    Ohyeah, you are one of the last of the real men, modern young men can't deal with stuff that just rolled off the backs of real men like you. Society will never see your like again and so can never regain the golden age you represent.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  8. #18
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Death of British 'troll' sparks debate over Internet bile

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    How did she die?
    Who's that McCann?

    Disappearance of Madeleine McCann - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    However, the thread is not about her disappearance in so much as the aspects of that case beyond the bullying leveled at her family.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Death of British 'troll' sparks debate over Internet bile

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Who's that McCann?

    Disappearance of Madeleine McCann - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    However, the thread is not about her disappearance in so much as the aspects of that case beyond the bullying leveled at her family.
    Not the girl, but the "troll" woman.

    Is foul play suspected?

  10. #20
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,343

    Re: Death of British 'troll' sparks debate over Internet bile

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    How did she die?
    Greetings, Gathomas88.

    No one has officially stated that she is dead - they never found her or her abductor, so I guess she's still considered "missing." Very sad case.... and a beautiful child.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •