Page 83 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3373818283
Results 821 to 830 of 830

Thread: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

  1. #821
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You miss the point which isn't surprising, the ruling overturned the state ruling because it violated the Constitution. Race was the issue not SSM even though that is what proponents are now using as justification.

    But if the State law said they couldn't have a Civil Marriage...


    ........... They should have just accepted the State law and gone out and got a Civil Union or spent thousand of dollars in lawyer costs to simulate a fraction of what marriage would have provided them.



    >>>>

  2. #822
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You ought to worry more about your own credibility than mine. As one of the declining numbers of Obama supporters and as a big govt. liberal who cannot admit that liberalism is a failure, it is your credibility that is the issue, not mine. Civics, economics, and now history aren't your strong suits
    LOL....Liberalism is a failure? Is that why when Republicans are in power they create a huge mess and almost always it is the Democrats who have to come in and clean up their mess? Oh....that's right.....you still believe that GWB led us to economic utopia and left a huge budget surplus when he left office. Sorry....I forget that the facts are not your friend...
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #823
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Two different subjects but yes genes do indeed play a role as race and gender are gene related and thus are protected. Hard for anyone to understand people like you who for some reason believe that marriage is a right and not a privilege, that whether or not someone is married is a personal choice issue not a civil rights issue. People like you really are part of the problem not part of the solution. Let the states do their own thing with regard to their own common law. Personal choice issues are allowed but not guaranteed in the Constitution. You can choose to be with whoever you want but don't expect the Constitution to protect you for something that isn't there.
    What you fail to recognize Con is that marriage has been recognized by the Supreme Court as a fundamental right, not a privilege. Sorry...but once again the facts are not your friend. It would really behoove you to take a course in conlaw. Education is not a bad thing.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #824
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,370

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Tom Horne concedes 9th Circuit Court of Appeals decision striking down same-sex marriage bans applies to AZ | Blog for Arizona

    om Horne concedes 9th Circuit Court of Appeals decision striking down same-sex marriage bans applies to AZ
    Posted on October 16, 2014 by AZ BlueMeanie | Leave a comment

    The state of Arizona has submitted its reply briefs in Majors vs. Horne and Connolly vs. Roche, the two legal challenges to Arizona’s constitutional ban on same-sex marriage.

    9cirIn a bit of a surprise, the Arizona-based Christian legal group Alliance Defending Freedom to whom Attorney General Tom Horne had farmed out the litigation of these cases did not submit the briefs — it was the Arizona Attorney General’s office.

    A bigger surprise is that Tom Horne agrees that the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruling from last week does apply to Arizona, just as soon as the Ninth Circuit Court issues its mandate. His brief is only two pages. Arizona is conceding the cases. Marriage equality in Arizona is only a technicality away.

    The funny part is that our lame duck (lost the primary) AG is the one ruling on marriage...he got busted taking his mistress (who also worked for him at an inflated salary) out for a little after noon delight, but he got involved in an accident and did the old hit and run.... You can't make this stuff up...
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  5. #825
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    the reality is pro SSM people cannot prove that being gay is at birth as there is no such thing as a gay gene but there are genes for race and gender and that coupled with the states' rights issue makes it irrelevant to the Constitution IMO.
    Unable to stay consistent with an argument. Nobody is shocked.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #826
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    In the absence of a gay gene, there is no scientific evidence that being gay happens at birth. That is why liberals never talk about that issue
    We do talk about that issue, and you don't understand genetics at all. I'd answer this, but you're still not admitting your shift in argument.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #827
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Loving decision was a black woman wanting to marry a white man which met the requirements of marriage in the state of Va. meaning the union of a man and a woman. You seem to not be able to understand that concept.
    That wasn't the state of Va's requirement. The state of Va's requirement was a man and a woman of the same race.

    I would have thought someone who is married to a man would understand the difference between two different sex couples getting married vs. same sex. Would you want your kids to be raised in a family with a same sex couple vs a couple with a man and a woman? Fair question, answer it
    I would want my kids to be raised by me. I'm not sure what this question is supposed to mean.

    Further one more time, I AM FOR STATES' RIGHTS AND MARRIAGE IS A STATE ISSUE. IF THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE VOTE FOR IT I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM WITH THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE. GET IT YET??????
    Further one more time EQUAL PROTECTION STILL APPLIES TO STATE LAWS. GET IT YET? THIS WAS LAID OUT IN LOVING, WHICH YOU PREVIOUSLY TOLD ME TO REFERENCE. YOUR OWN ARGUMENT IS THAT LOVING WAS A CORRECT DECISION, THEREFORE EQUAL PROTECTION APPLIES TO STATE LAWS.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #828
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,988

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Sounds like the N.C. education escaped you as you don't understand if it is in the Constitution it is a requirement for the state to adhere to those issues and race is in the Constitution, marriage isn't

    Noticed that you didn't answer my question, why is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Gender is a federally protected right under the Const, as you have admitted. So scream all you want, it is not a state's rights issue.

    marriage:
    man and woman
    man and man
    woman and woman

    See the red? GENDER
    ..........
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #829
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,370

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Same sex marriage is now legal in Arizona!

    Glad to see my home state doing something good for a change!
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  10. #830
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,301

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

Page 83 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3373818283

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •