Page 80 of 83 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast
Results 791 to 800 of 830

Thread: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

  1. #791
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,897

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    The federal govt already did that, now get your states to do it as well, oh, wait, yours has so what is the problem? Please don't tell me that you really give a damn about someone else in some other state that you don't even know. That is equally bull****.
    I imagine you are projecting how little you care about others and our country, but I posted this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post

    However I am an American who is wholeheartedly against discrimination and the damage it has done and can continue to do to our country (not just against gays of course.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #792
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,538

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    No I am not, I am making this a state issue not a court issue. If you are so adamant then get it on the ballot in 50 states and stop trying to get activists justices to force your will on everyone else.

    You don't get it and never will. Let me scream it, THIS IS A STATES' RIGHTS ISSUE AND THAT IS WHERE IT BELONGS. Stop overturning the will of the people and win at the ballot box
    Should interracial marriage be a states right issue too?
    Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he can sit in a boat, drinking beer all day while you fool around with his Woman.

  3. #793
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    Should interracial marriage be a states right issue too?
    It already is, marriage is the union between a man and a woman so any man and any woman can get legally married. Race was put into the Constitution. you want marriage there, go for it and I will support your efforts, then vote against SSM given the opportunity

  4. #794
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,812

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Ok, so if it isn't inherited then anything you do regardless of the law is deserving of equal protection? You have no idea how dangerous that argument is and how dangerous the leftwing agenda is to the rule of law.
    You're missing lots of points, but two in particular - whether being gay is entirely the result of genetics, or events during pregnancy, or some combination of nature and/or nurture doesn't affect the answer to the question - is homosexuality a choice? It's not a choice, regardless of the underlying 'cause' or causes. You and I ARE straight, my brother IS gay. Why? I really don't care beyond ordinary intellectual curiosity.

    Second, you can't point to any relevant text anywhere that would hinge the legal question on this "gay gene" test you conjured from thin air.

    You and others don't get it. This is about states's rights and the foundation upon which this country was built. Get SSM approved in 50 states BY THE PEOPLE and I will accept that but I won't accept what some activist judges say as they overturned the will of the people. That is a violation of the Constitution which liberals don't want to discuss
    I'm sorry, but 'states' rights' was a long and comfortable refuge for racists and bigots in my part of the world. Based in part on that history, I don't respect the appeal to states' rights to justify discrimination of any kind. Besides, there is nothing 'unconstitutional' about aggrieved parties arguing their cases in court. These courts were set up as part of the Constitution and operate within the established boundaries.

  5. #795
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    For those of you touting economic benefits of having SSM here are the facts

    Consider the state-level data on per capita personal income growth between 1999 and 2009, published by the U.S. Department of Commerce's Bureau of Economic Analysis.

    The top five states for income growth in that decade are: Wyoming, North Dakota, Louisiana, Montana and Oklahoma. Four of the five states with the fastest income growth per capita have state marriage amendments, and none have gay marriage.

    Or consider another potential measure of a state's business climate: What do CEOs think? Chief Executive magazine annually surveys 543 CEOs to identify which states are the best and the worst for job growth and business. In 2009, the top five states for job growth in CEOs' opinions were: Texas, North Carolina, Florida, Georgia and Tennessee. Four out of five have marriage amendments, and none have gay marriage.

    (The worst? California, New York, Michigan, New Jersey, and yes, Massachusetts.)

    Or consider another data point that comes from a recent U.S. Chamber of Commerce survey, "Enterprising States," which includes a ranking for what it called "middle-class job growth." These are presumably the good jobs that the creative class seeks or fosters.

    The top five states for middle-class job growth between 2002 and 2009 are: Utah, Wyoming, Nevada, Hawaii and Texas. Once again, four out of the five have state marriage amendments, and none have gay marriage.

    The U.S. Chamber of Commerce also compiles a list of states that are the top "overall growth performers": North Dakota, Virginia, South Dakota, Maryland and Wyoming. The top three all have state marriage amendments, and none have gay marriage. [Maryland has since rejected same-sex marriage as well.]
    - See more at: Tired Meme Alert: MN Gay Marriage Advocates Tout Bogus Economic Arguments | NOM Blog

  6. #796
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    You're missing lots of points, but two in particular - whether being gay is entirely the result of genetics, or events during pregnancy, or some combination of nature and/or nurture doesn't affect the answer to the question - is homosexuality a choice? It's not a choice, regardless of the underlying 'cause' or causes. You and I ARE straight, my brother IS gay. Why? I really don't care beyond ordinary intellectual curiosity.

    Second, you can't point to any relevant text anywhere that would hinge the legal question on this "gay gene" test you conjured from thin air.



    I'm sorry, but 'states' rights' was a long and comfortable refuge for racists and bigots in my part of the world. Based in part on that history, I don't respect the appeal to states' rights to justify discrimination of any kind. Besides, there is nothing 'unconstitutional' about aggrieved parties arguing their cases in court. These courts were set up as part of the Constitution and operate within the established boundaries.
    With that being the case why hasn't the Supreme Court ruled on SSM and why hasn't the issue passed in the 19 states that had their vote overturned by the courts? Seems that the courts work well when they provide decisions that support your point of view but not when they differ.

    Claiming that anyone who is against the liberal agenda is a racist or bigot is typical mudslinging. Would someone who voted for Obama because he was black be called a racist? Is it being a bigot or racists because you disagree with the leftwing liberal gay lifestyle? Guess difference of opinions can always lead to charges of racism and being bigoted in the liberal PC world

  7. #797
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,192

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    So what is the end game for you, no laws?
    Equal treatment for all people and elimination of bigotry, things that you clearly oppose.

    You can apply equal protection to just about any issue as it relates to you.
    Your point?

    Marriage isn't in the Constitution
    But equal treatment is. Maybe you should read it sometime instead of making senseless remarks about it.

    you aren't born gay
    And we have your demonstrated bigoted views to take for that eh?

    therefore there is no equal protection for personal choice issues.
    Considering that there exists still considerable ignorance and bigotry in society, you demonstrating that quite eloquently, Why do you think that anyone would choose to be gay?

  8. #798
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,812

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    With that being the case why hasn't the Supreme Court ruled on SSM and why hasn't the issue passed in the 19 states that had their vote overturned by the courts? Seems that the courts work well when they provide decisions that support your point of view but not when they differ.
    So far there is no split in the Appeals Courts to resolve. That could be one reason. Otherwise, I have no idea - guess we'd have to ask the Justices why they didn't pick a case to review this term.

    Claiming that anyone who is against the liberal agenda is a racist or bigot is typical mudslinging. Would someone who voted for Obama because he was black be called a racist? Is it being a bigot or racists because you disagree with the leftwing liberal gay lifestyle? Guess difference of opinions can always lead to charges of racism and being bigoted in the liberal PC world
    And why would someone who supposedly voted FOR (or against) Obama necessarily be a racist. I don't think people who voted for Romney were racist, or there is no reason to link the two...

    The problem is when people argue against SSM, in court and otherwise, there is little to no substance to the arguments other than a desire to express moral disapproval of the "gay lifestyle" and a desire to deny them rights or privileges you enjoy solely because of their sexual orientation, who they love. If there's a term for that other than bigotry, then suggest it and maybe I'll use it instead.

    BTW, what is the "leftwing liberal gay lifestyle?" I know lots of gay people. One guy I worked out with this morning owns two businesses with his partner or 10 years or more, and they have a house and a couple of cats and have dinner with friends. Another guy and his partner (not there this morning, but usually joins us at 5:45am each day) adopted two children from his home city in S. America, and he's on the local PTA board. What part of their "leftwing liberal gay lifestyle" do you disagree with.

  9. #799
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by prometeus View Post
    Equal treatment for all people and elimination of bigotry, things that you clearly oppose.

    Your point?

    But equal treatment is. Maybe you should read it sometime instead of making senseless remarks about it.

    And we have your demonstrated bigoted views to take for that eh?

    Considering that there exists still considerable ignorance and bigotry in society, you demonstrating that quite eloquently, Why do you think that anyone would choose to be gay?
    Obviously nothing is going to change your mind including the reality that marriage is common law and there isn't any discrimination by putting limits on who qualifies.

    I find it rather disturbing that you claim to care about everyone else on an issue that really doesn't affect you. Are you that concerned over abortion(murdering the fetus in the womb) or telling a woman how bad it is to smoke which will harm the baby but then letting her abort her baby?

    You are a typical liberal, double standards always wanting the issue but never the responsibility that goes with it. Do you think it is ok for child to grow up in a homosexual household without the benefit of both sexes? Do you think there should be any kind of laws at all? Do you think it is racial bigotry to vote for Barack Obama only because he is black?

    I have no idea why anyone would choose to be gay but it happens ever day. I love women, always will, and biologically it all works.

    I could go on but it is a waste of time. I have proven my point though, another SSM thread garnering hundreds of responses while major issues in this country are ignored. You people really do have screwed up priorities. I have been asked how SSM marriage affects me? How about answer the question what benefit does a same sex couple get of of being married that they couldn't get from a civil union?

  10. #800
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    So far there is no split in the Appeals Courts to resolve. That could be one reason. Otherwise, I have no idea - guess we'd have to ask the Justices why they didn't pick a case to review this term.



    And why would someone who supposedly voted FOR (or against) Obama necessarily be a racist. I don't think people who voted for Romney were racist, or there is no reason to link the two...

    The problem is when people argue against SSM, in court and otherwise, there is little to no substance to the arguments other than a desire to express moral disapproval of the "gay lifestyle" and a desire to deny them rights or privileges you enjoy solely because of their sexual orientation, who they love. If there's a term for that other than bigotry, then suggest it and maybe I'll use it instead.

    BTW, what is the "leftwing liberal gay lifestyle?" I know lots of gay people. One guy I worked out with this morning owns two businesses with his partner or 10 years or more, and they have a house and a couple of cats and have dinner with friends. Another guy and his partner (not there this morning, but usually joins us at 5:45am each day) adopted two children from his home city in S. America, and he's on the local PTA board. What part of their "leftwing liberal gay lifestyle" do you disagree with.
    I don't see the benefits garnered by gay couples to be married when the reality is that it is nothing more than having something that they believe they cannot have. Biologically it makes no sense. It makes no sense for a child not to have a parent of each sex, economically it makes no sense as evidenced by the numbers I posted, legally it isn't going to change minds of people on either side, and I do realize that many here don't believe in God but I do and that violates my belief, a belief based upon personal knowledge and experience.

    I normally get into these kinds of threads when I am bored. I have family coming in from out of state therefore I am going to bow out. Nothing anyone says here is going to change my mind especially after 40 plus years of marriage and a religious belief system. I also realize that I am not going to change anyone else's mind. Having this issue decided at the ballot box however makes more sense to me and makes it easier to accept vs. some justice overturning the will of the people. To me that is the real issue and one that should concern everyone.

    Have a good one.

Page 80 of 83 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •