Page 73 of 83 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 730 of 830

Thread: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

  1. #721
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,327

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    christ sakes, does any other self identified conservative wish to speak up and disavow this embarrassment, or do you all wish to let "conservative" speak for you?

    I'm tired of the lukewarm pseudo acceptance from conservatives, made all the more transparent when they can't tell one of their own to stop being so hateful.
    Wouldn't that be nice.

  2. #722
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    06-13-15 @ 10:52 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    By "nothing more than opinions" you mean conclusions based on mountains of evidence I guess. If so, then yes, I tend to try to hold views consistent with mountains of evidence, especially when contradictory evidence is virtually non-existent.

    The only reason this issue even matters to me is the experience of one of my brother's best friends whose family believed their son "chose" to be gay, and so it's OK if they disown him, shun him, write him out of their lives, because if he loved his family, he'd simply change that decision to be gay and choose to be straight and not bring shame to the family. It gave them the excuse to shift the blame and the consequences to him. It's a sad situation, rooted in ignorance.

    FWIW, no one really knows the cause. Could be a gene, could be something happened in the womb, early experiences, or a combination. That part doesn't matter. What does matter is there is simply no evidence that more than a tiny sliver of the most highly motivated individuals successfully change sexual orientation.
    Even a study done a couple of years ago by Christian researchers showed that sexual orientation doesn't change even for those highly motivated by their religious beliefs:


    “Characteristics of Mixed Orientation Couples: An Empirical Study":


    "While it was not a study of efforts to change, one could reasonably assume that if a group had participants who had shifted orientation very much, then this would be the group. However, that is not what they found"

    Christian Psychologist Dr Throckmorton says: "I think evangelicals need to face what evangelical academics are finding in research"




    Last edited by Ceist; 10-16-14 at 11:25 AM.

  3. #723
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    06-13-15 @ 10:52 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    That is indeed the liberal argument yet you cannot point to the gay gene. I am still waiting. Homosexuality is a personal choice but it is easier for people like you to believe it is inherited or a born trait That is Bull****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I couldn't care less what some gay person has to say on the issue. I prefer science, show me the gay gene? Some people will do or say anything to justify their own behavior.

    Christian psychologist Dr Warren Throckmorton is a well known, respected (and honest) clinician and researcher who works in this field.

    He explains why many evangelical Christians seem to know so little about the research about sexual orientation. They only read "evangelical publications and consume evangelical media."

    The Evangelical Blackout of Research on Sexual Orientation — Warren Throckmorton

    There is plenty of reliable information about sexual orientation and gay people freely available from reputable health organisations. Even more if a person has access to peer-reviewed reputable science Journals.

  4. #724
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    06-13-15 @ 10:52 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Yes, sure do although I don't believe they even realize they are lying. There is no such thing as a gay gene and telling people they were born gay is the easy way out for them
    I don't believe you even realise just how uninformed you are about this topic. It's the easy way out for you not bother to educate yourself.
    Last edited by Ceist; 10-16-14 at 11:28 AM.

  5. #725
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,302

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    You really aren't capable of seeing things from others' point of view i guess. Trust me we have no use for you either

    There was no gay rights movement prior to 1970s to speak of because so few were even openly gay. Stonewall happened in 1969 and in san fran there were clashes with cops thru the 1970s. In other words, you couldn't even go to a gay bar without being assaulted by cops. It's just like any other civil rights movement. Progress happens (extremely) gradually while waiting for those opposed to die off, so here we are.
    Great, enjoy the rest of your life

  6. #726
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,302

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    See, again, you know so little about genetics, and yet you continue to spout off information as if it is fact.
    Since you know so much about genetics, please show me the gay gene??

  7. #727
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,302

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Oh, what a mind reader we have here! You can stop putting words in my mouth anytime, cause i've said nothing about pursuit of happiness or attention. Especially on some anonymous forum, attention whoring is quite an absurd accusation.

    It's about equality only. Similar to employment discrimination, some take the stance we should not have such laws period, but that so long as we do, sexuality needs to be covered as well. You know, because that's equality. Although i disagree in that i think we do need anti discrimination laws, at least they take a rational, consistent approach. This "everyone can get married or protected from discrimination *except* those homos" is simply coming from hatred. At least admit to that
    It is frustrating dealing with people who have absolutely no civics or history education. Marriage is a common law and not in the Constitution. You don't support states' rights, got it. Have a good one.

  8. #728
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Since you know so much about genetics, please show me the gay gene??
    Whether there is a "gay gene" or not is really irrevelevant.....how about its none of your friggin business who two consenting adults want to marry.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #729
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Since you know so much about genetics, please show me the gay gene??
    The fact that you continue to ask for a gay gene is what shows that you know so little about genetics. That isn't how genetics works when it comes to personality traits.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #730
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    It is frustrating dealing with people who have absolutely no civics or history education. Marriage is a common law and not in the Constitution. You don't support states' rights, got it. Have a good one.
    Its even more frustrating dealing with people who have zero concept of what the Constitution is about. Got it.....have a good one Con....
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 73 of 83 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •