Page 66 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
Results 651 to 660 of 830

Thread: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

  1. #651
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    For everyone you post who makes that claim I can post the same number who don't agree. There are opinions that you want to believe as fact whereas there are other opinions I prefer. Your opinion noted.
    Why does it matter? Religion is a choice and it's protected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #652
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Equal protection is already in there. If the states have contracts, they cant discriminate against protected classes, like gender. If SSM is illegal, it discriminates against gender in the marriage contract.

    Then in the liberal world everything can be tied to the equal protection clause and the states have no rights at all. Marriage is backed by centuries of history and precedence as well as the votes of the people in the states. It is common law, it isn't in the Constitution, and it is up to the people, not the courts to determine what is right in their state. Marriage isn't in the Constitution. You want it there, put it there.

  3. #653
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Having sex is a personal choice. Sexual orientation is not.
    Sexual orientation isn't the issue, common law on a subject not in the Constitution is

  4. #654
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Conservative never answered this question:

    What language in the constitution makes interracial marriage bans unconstitutional? After all, marriage isn't in the constitution.
    Read Loving vs Virginia and get back to us

  5. #655
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Why does it matter? Religion is a choice and it's protected.
    Yes, we have an amendment to the Constitution on Religion. You want one on Marriage? go for it. I will support your effort

  6. #656
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Read Loving vs Virginia and get back to us


    I knew you couldn't answer. Because you know that any way you do answer will inevitably bring up the exact same questions about same-sex marriage. Your argument was that marriage isn't in the constitution. I agree. It's not. You know what also is not in the 14th amendment? Race.

    But hey, you don't want to back up your own argument, that's fine. You know full well that "marriage isn't in the constitution" is not enough to deflect the 14th amendment. Because as you just admitted, Loving says otherwise.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #657
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Why does it matter? Religion is a choice and it's protected.
    It is protected to a certain limited degree. There are a lot of theists who think that they can get away with murder so long as it's done in the name of their religion and when anyone points out how wrong that is, they scream religious discrimination.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #658
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You want a legal relationship create one, oh wait, we have it is called a civil union. Leave decades and centuries of tradition and precedence alone.
    Texas Constitution,
    Section 32
    (a) Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman.

    (b) This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage.

    (Added Nov. 8, 2005.)



    The discrimination crowd blocked that option in many States where they passed bans on BOTH Civil Unions and Civil Marriages.



    >>>>
    So I guess the will of the people only matters on some issues

    What's that got to do with what you said?

    You said go out and get a Civil Union, I showed where your State (Texas) like mine (Virginia) doesn't allow Civil Unions. As a registered Republican since 1978 and someone that has been bad mouthed as to my conservative stances on fiscal responsibility, defense, and immigration (I'm more a Goldwater Conservative then a modern Social Authoritarian Conservative) - I voted against the Virginia amendment, how did you vote pertaining to the Texas Amendment?


    A decade ago Social Authoritarians voted to enact discriminatory bans for BOTH Civil Marriage AND Civil Unions when they felt they were in a position of power and that public opinion wouldn't shift. Instead of acting to recognize that same-sex couples deserved the same rights, responsibilities, and benefits as different-sex couples and working for a compromise at that time - State level Civil Unions with equal Federal recognition - Ohhhh no. Your side fought for no recognition at all.

    Your side took Civil Unions off the table and now same-sex Civil Marriage is winning in the Courts, winning in the legislatures, and winning at the ballot box. Well that came back to bite you in the ass.



    >>>>
    Last edited by WorldWatcher; 10-15-14 at 08:38 PM.

  9. #659
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    How do you know straight people haven't CHOSEN to become gay? You spout your opinion and that of others as fact when the proof is there is no such thing as born gay or there would be a "gay" gene. People choose to become gay or that at least is the argument you don't want to address. Wonder why?
    Frankly someone who is not gay has 0 credibility and no place arguing that it is a choice. I'm gay and can guarantee it's not a choice. Now why should anyone accept your stance instead?

    Even not being born with a sexuality, but rather it developing in early life, well before any sexual attraction sets in, would suggest choice has nothing to do with it. Researchers have been able to predict the sexuality of children as young as 4. I suppose 4 year olds choose to be gay?

    This also makes no sense because claims of an adult permanently changing their sexuality, despite the pressure to do so, are way too rare. Even heroin addicts claim to kick the habit with greater success.

    You clearly don't know jack all about epigenetic research either. Twin studies like in MN revealed that it must be partly genetic. The current leading theory is that hormonal influence while in the womb interacts with genes, so there is no "show me the gay gene," because it's biological but more complicated.

  10. #660
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Then in the liberal world everything can be tied to the equal protection clause and the states have no rights at all.
    exactly, states don't have rights. See: civil war

    states have input only at most. You act as if these arbitrary boundaries are where life and culture begins and ends. So one small town on one side of the border will have entirely different views on minority rights than a small town 3 miles away in another state? Give me a break. There's a reason the entire deep south is out of its mind and new england is more liberal. Interaction between the states takes place! If you want to deny that happens, build a wall first

Page 66 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •