Page 58 of 83 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 830

Thread: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

  1. #571
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You lived under the laws of your state for decades and I assume you are old enough to have lived under those laws while of legal age. Now all of a sudden you want the courts to overrule the laws you lived under. Why is that? I call it liberal arrogance and attempts to force your beliefs on others. How typical of liberals


    You're the one arguing for forcing your moral disapproval of someone else's marriage decision. You are the one arguing against individual liberty. You are the one arguing for bigger government. And why? Because 51% of the population want it that way? Funny how collectivism is a bad word, except when you want to use it to further your agenda. 51% of the population votes for bigger social safety nets, that's it right? You drop your objection? Let the people decide, right?

    The founding fathers would weep at your authoritarianism.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #572
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    So, you admit then that individual freedom is less important than a vote of 51% of the population. Ok.

    I disagree. It doesn't matter if I can get 51% of the population to vote that Christianity doesn't count as a religion. First amendment still applies.
    Attacks on religion continue and will always continue. The Constitution protects freedom OF Religion, not Freedom FROM Religion. There is a reason, which you are part of, that democracies don't survive centuries. The rule of law is a moving target for liberals and anything you don't like or agree with is fair game. Thanks for helping destroy this once great country, you must be so proud. Without laws there is chaos

  3. #573
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post


    You're the one arguing for forcing your moral disapproval of someone else's marriage decision. You are the one arguing against individual liberty. You are the one arguing for bigger government. And why? Because 51% of the population want it that way? Funny how collectivism is a bad word, except when you want to use it to further your agenda. 51% of the population votes for bigger social safety nets, that's it right? You drop your objection? Let the people decide, right?

    The founding fathers would weep at your authoritarianism.
    What part of states' rights don't you understand? When have I spoken out against the state making the decision not the courts?

  4. #574
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Attacks on religion continue and will always continue. The Constitution protects freedom OF Religion, not Freedom FROM Religion. There is a reason, which you are part of, that democracies don't survive centuries. The rule of law is a moving target for liberals and anything you don't like or agree with is fair game. Thanks for helping destroy this once great country, you must be so proud. Without laws there is chaos


    Listen to yourself. Without laws there is chaos. We're talking about two adult males signing a legal contract with absolutely no impact on your life. Chaos. Chaos. Our democracy isn't going to survive! We have to enforce my moral disapproval onto people, to save this country of freedom!
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #575
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post


    Listen to yourself. Without laws there is chaos. We're talking about two adult males signing a legal contract with absolutely no impact on your life. Chaos. Chaos. Our democracy isn't going to survive! We have to enforce my moral disapproval onto people, to save this country of freedom!
    No, what we are talking about is overturning the will of the people on some bogus argument that marriage is a civil right. This is an issue for the people to decide not the courts and until marriage is in the Constitution my position stands.

    it is a much bigger issue than two consenting adults signing a legal document, it is about the roles and responsibilities of govt. and about promoting a limited federal govt. that is responsible solely for our defense not our personal responsibility issues.

  6. #576
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Exactly, but in order to have a super majority you have to have a majority first, don't you? How did those Amendments get passed with such an evil population that won't allow you to marry a person of your own sex. A civil union will suffice but you don't want that but aren't willing to move to a state that allows it. How selfish of you expecting your morals to be thrust on the rest of us.
    People change. That is the very reason that Amendments require a supermajority vice a simple majority, to ensure that the Amendments that are getting passed are important enough for it. Because that requirement requires a lot of consensus, much more than 50%, which is easily established by a passing fad.

    A civil union will not suffice because it is not equal to marriage anywhere in the US.

    BTW, I am married to a man, and have two sons. I don't need to have same sex marriage legal for myself. I want it legal for others because they deserve to be able to marry the person they want to marry, name that person as their legal spouse, and the quickest, cheapest, and easiest way to do that is to remove the restriction of sex/gender from marriage laws in every state.

    And you and anyone else who doesn't feel that same sex relationships are morally right are free to believe that and maintain those morals. You are not free to force your morals on us. My morals do not force you to do anything, nor do they prevent you from doing something just based on those morals when it comes to marriage. Your morals however when placed into law prevent people from getting married, restrict their freedoms.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #577
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You lived under the laws of your state for decades and I assume you are old enough to have lived under those laws while of legal age. Now all of a sudden you want the courts to overrule the laws you lived under. Why is that? I call it liberal arrogance and attempts to force your beliefs on others. How typical of liberals
    Your assumptions are completely inaccurate here. I have moved between over 7 different states since I turned 18. And it hasn't been "all of a sudden" that I have felt that these laws should be changed. I argued that it was unconstitutional to prevent same sex couples from getting married over 17 years ago during high school.

    Your argument reeks of desperation. It doesn't even make sense at this point.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #578
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Attacks on religion continue and will always continue. The Constitution protects freedom OF Religion, not Freedom FROM Religion. There is a reason, which you are part of, that democracies don't survive centuries. The rule of law is a moving target for liberals and anything you don't like or agree with is fair game. Thanks for helping destroy this once great country, you must be so proud. Without laws there is chaos
    And the constituion protects people from having religious beliefs FORCED on them by you. If you don't like SSM, then don't marry someone of the same sex. Mind YOUR own marriage, not others.

  9. #579
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    No interest in fighting it. life is full of disappointments so I just live with it. You obviously have lived with it for a long time, get over it and move on
    Go ahead and tell me what you feel you are being prevented legally from doing based on your gender. Maybe it really isn't worth fighting for for you, but that doesn't mean others don't feel that what they are fighting for is worth it, that their fight for being treated equally because the law doesn't currently do so is worth it. I agree. It is worth it, especially for something like marriage.

    I don't need to get over it. I am getting what I want.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #580
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    People change. That is the very reason that Amendments require a supermajority vice a simple majority, to ensure that the Amendments that are getting passed are important enough for it. Because that requirement requires a lot of consensus, much more than 50%, which is easily established by a passing fad.

    A civil union will not suffice because it is not equal to marriage anywhere in the US.

    BTW, I am married to a man, and have two sons. I don't need to have same sex marriage legal for myself. I want it legal for others because they deserve to be able to marry the person they want to marry, name that person as their legal spouse, and the quickest, cheapest, and easiest way to do that is to remove the restriction of sex/gender from marriage laws in every state.

    And you and anyone else who doesn't feel that same sex relationships are morally right are free to believe that and maintain those morals. You are not free to force your morals on us. My morals do not force you to do anything, nor do they prevent you from doing something just based on those morals when it comes to marriage. Your morals however when placed into law prevent people from getting married, restrict their freedoms.
    What you and a very small minority want to do is force your beliefs and will on the majority and make the bogus claim that marriage is a civil rights issue. You are getting activist justices to support your cause but that doesn't overturn the will of the people. This is a much bigger issue than just SSM, for it is about the foundation upon which this country was built, govt. of the people, by the people, and for the people. In otherwords the will of the people. Just like Amendments were passed then if you believe SSM is so important get an Amendment adopted and passed. When marriage is in the Constitution then you will have a point until then you are nothing more than a malcontent who doesn't like the will of the people when it disagrees with your will.

Page 58 of 83 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •