Page 37 of 83 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 830

Thread: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

  1. #361
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,941

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    This certainly is a passionate issue for some of you and yet you won't let the people of your state decide. Why is that? Yes, you do have the same rights as I have as I cannot marry a man either. This is about same sex marriage and you have the same rights as I have. You want to overturn decades of precedence all because of your own morals. This is a country of laws made by people and voted on by people. Let the people of each state decide not a person on the courts.

    Race is protected under the Constitution, read it. Where is marriage defined in the Constitution?
    Because same sex couples getting married does not affect those people who are trying to prevent them, no more than any opposite sex couples getting married does so they have no legitimate right to prevent them from getting married. That is why they shouldn't "decide" this issue.

    I will overturn decades of precedence for what is right, for the guarantees of our Constitution, for what is fair. We are not a direct democracy. We are a constitutional republic. Race is not mentioned in the Equal Protection Clause as the only thing that is protected under that clause. Marriage is protected under that catch-all the 9th.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #362
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,835

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    All the Federal Govt. has to do is change the laws regarding economic issues and leave the states controlling the marriages like they have been doing for centuries. This isn't a Federal issue, it is a state issue and always has been. You want to be married to your same sex Partner move to a state that allows it. Put the issue on a national ballot and see what . happens. Stop whining about an equal rights issue ignoring that you have the same rights I have, marrying someone of the opposite sex. That doesn't suit you so you have to get a judge to overturn the will of the people.
    That's a bogus description of the relevant 'right' being discussed, which is the 'right' to marry the person you love. It helps the discussion when you're up front about what you're proposing, which is marriage is a privilege and can be limited or restricted however the community deems appropriate. I don't agree with that position, but it's at least intellectually honest. No legitimate 'right' is dependent on the outcome of a vote and can be granted or rescinded at will as popular opinion changes.

  3. #363
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Because same sex couples getting married does not affect those people who are trying to prevent them, no more than any opposite sex couples getting married does so they have no legitimate right to prevent them from getting married. That is why they shouldn't "decide" this issue.

    I will overturn decades of precedence for what is right, for the guarantees of our Constitution, for what is fair. We are not a direct democracy. We are a constitutional republic. Race is not mentioned in the Equal Protection Clause as the only thing that is protected under that clause. Marriage is protected under that catch-all the 9th.
    So what you believe is right is indeed right? What gives you that power and that arrogance? The equal protection clause has nothing to do with marriage and that is why the Supreme Court hasn't ruled on it. This is a state issue. you don't like it, tough ****. move to a state that allows you to do what ever the hell you want and think is right.

    Equal protection can be used for almost any issue you want and just because you want it, doesn't make it right. we are a nation of laws and the people of N.C. spoke in huge numbers. You don't like the results so you go to some robed justice to get your will imposed on everyone else.

    I really suggest focusing on what is really important, the economy and national security.

  4. #364
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    That's a bogus description of the relevant 'right' being discussed, which is the 'right' to marry the person you love. It helps the discussion when you're up front about what you're proposing, which is marriage is a privilege and can be limited or restricted however the community deems appropriate. I don't agree with that position, but it's at least intellectually honest. No legitimate 'right' is dependent on the outcome of a vote and can be granted or rescinded at will as popular opinion changes.
    Marriage is indeed a privilege and has for decades controlled by the states not some judge. If you want to marry your partner move to a state that allows it. stop making a federal issue out of a state issue and privilege

  5. #365
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,835

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I really suggest focusing on what is really important, the economy and national security.
    Says the guy reading and posting in a thread titled, "Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional."


  6. #366
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,941

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    So what you believe is right is indeed right? What gives you that power and that arrogance? The equal protection clause has nothing to do with marriage and that is why the Supreme Court hasn't ruled on it. This is a state issue. you don't like it, tough ****. move to a state that allows you to do what ever the hell you want and think is right.

    Equal protection can be used for almost any issue you want and just because you want it, doesn't make it right. we are a nation of laws and the people of N.C. spoke in huge numbers. You don't like the results so you go to some robed justice to get your will imposed on everyone else.

    I really suggest focusing on what is really important, the economy and national security.
    In reality, what gives me the power is the fact that the courts and a majority of people support that position. The SCOTUS has ruled on marriage several times in the past, striking down state laws pertaining to marriage restrictions. You don't like, too bad. That is reality. The SCOTUS has struck down marriage restrictions for race, owing child support after divorce, and getting married while in prison.

    Equal protection absolutely can be used for whatever issue, so long as it abides by the levels of scrutiny that the SCOTUS has already established.

    The economy is important and not only is it a huge waste of taxpayer money to fight against same sex couples being allowed to marry, it has also been shown that same sex marriage is good for the economy both the states' economies and the nation's.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #367
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Says the guy reading and posting in a thread titled, "Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional."

    Yep, trying to make people think about what is really important vs. posting on this bull**** all the time. Every thread on SSM is filled with emotion driven rhetoric that ignores reality, history, precedence, and the will of the people. If the people of TX don't want SSM then so be it, move to a state that allows it.

  8. #368
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    In reality, what gives me the power is the fact that the courts and a majority of people support that position. The SCOTUS has ruled on marriage several times in the past, striking down state laws pertaining to marriage restrictions. You don't like, too bad. That is reality. The SCOTUS has struck down marriage restrictions for race, owing child support after divorce, and getting married while in prison.

    Equal protection absolutely can be used for whatever issue, so long as it abides by the levels of scrutiny that the SCOTUS has already established.

    The economy is important and not only is it a huge waste of taxpayer money to fight against same sex couples being allowed to marry, it has also been shown that same sex marriage is good for the economy both the states' economies and the nation's.
    if the majority of the people support it then this wouldn't be an issue at all. The people of TX don't support it. Why should the will of the people of TX be ignored?

  9. #369
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,941

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    if the majority of the people support it then this wouldn't be an issue at all. The people of TX don't support it. Why should the will of the people of TX be ignored?
    Because the "majority" in this case is only the majority at a single point in time, years ago. You don't really know what the majority supports at this very moment. You are guessing.

    But in reality, it doesn't matter. As I've said, the majority are not legitimately harmed or even affected by two people of the same sex entering into marriage more than two people of the opposite sex entering into marriage, so there is no legitimate reason for them to prevent it, so the Constitution comes into play.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #370
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Because the "majority" in this case is only the majority at a single point in time, years ago. You don't really know what the majority supports at this very moment. You are guessing.

    But in reality, it doesn't matter. As I've said, the majority are not legitimately harmed or even affected by two people of the same sex entering into marriage more than two people of the opposite sex entering into marriage, so there is no legitimate reason for them to prevent it, so the Constitution comes into play.
    You make my point, what you believe is right is all that matters not what the majority in the states believe. You buy the polls but don't look at the internals nor do you look at what happens when this issue is put on the ballot even in your own state. what was the vote in your state? How can you claim the majority of the people in North Carolina support SSM? This isn't a Constitutional issue and never has been. Marriage isn't a right, it is common law and controlled by the states

Page 37 of 83 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •