Page 24 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 830

Thread: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

  1. #231
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,175
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Marriage is a sanction the government must issue. You know... the government of the people and by the people. And if "we the people" don't approve, we shouldn't be forced to sanction it. You can live with who you want but you can't force society to sanction it. Not rightly. It looks like you may end up forcing that, anyway, but it's not a pushover and it's a long hard road because you SHOULDN'T be able to force that. This is why it will be bad if the court forces homosexual marriage on states that don't want it. It's something that should be done through the legislative process IF the states want it because it IS their business becuase it's THEIR sanction people are trying to attain.
    Why do I need your approval to get married?

    Secondly, as an article of faith, perhaps you believe that gay unions are "not normal" and therefore wish that the states enforce this. As near and dear to your heart as that may be, it's never ever going to find support in a secular court applying constitutional protections.
    Help fight Zika, TB, HIV/AIDs and water pollution by donating your CPU's excess processing time to scientific research.
    A self-serving billionaire engaging in historically massive personal corruption #NotMyPresident

  2. #232
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    And I respect your right to your own opinion even though you don't have a monopoly on defining conservative values, either. My respect for homosexual relationships isn't the issue and your relationship is your business. Only when people want the state to sanction their relationship does that become their business - not the relationship; just the sanction. And with homosexual marriage being a novel concept only realized for the first time in modern history since 2001, I think it's more than a little unreasonable for anyone to think that failure to embrace it must be purely because of bigotry or a desire to oppress anyone. It's a social experiment so novel that it will take some time for everyone to get used to it. Where it takes us is anyone's guess. Will the whole world end up promoting homosexual marriages? Will it be a mistake that we rescind? Will it be something that turns out to be so insignificant that we'll all wonder what the fuss was about? No one knows.
    My vote is that nobody will give a crap and life will go on.

  3. #233
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but it's a very queer opinion (some pun intended) and it's one that's only recently been considered to be a wonderful brainstorm by liberals.



    You enjoy using the royal "we", I see.



    Marriage is a sanction the government must issue. You know... the government of the people and by the people. And if "we the people" don't approve, we shouldn't be forced to sanction it. You can live with who you want but you can't force society to sanction it. Not rightly. It looks like you may end up forcing that, anyway, but it's not a pushover and it's a long hard road because you SHOULDN'T be able to force that. This is why it will be bad if the court forces homosexual marriage on states that don't want it. It's something that should be done through the legislative process IF the states want it because it IS their business becuase it's THEIR sanction people are trying to attain.
    Out of curiosity does your populist logic extend to interracial marriage bans? Should the courts have stayed out of it and left it to the "will of the people" in those respective states that banned it?

  4. #234
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,323

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    If you don't want to flyfish, don't insist on fishing a flyfishing only stream and don't whine that you are being persecuted because you prefer spinning tackle.

    Marriage is a heterosexual thing and always was despite specious arguments by homosexuals and advocates of homosexuality. Two people of the same sex living together may be a relationship of one sort or another but it isn't a marriage.
    Hey, you better rip your DirectTV dish off your roof....

    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  5. #235
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull
    Two people of the same sex living together may be a relationship of one sort or another but it isn't a marriage.
    Odd argument. To assert your own perspective as absolute and to voluntarily enter a state of denial of any other perspective on the issue seems more like a coping mechanism than an argument. Same-sex marriage existed throughout history and in different cultures. It has come back with a vengeance after being suppressed for centuries but it is not exactly new to the world.

  6. #236
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    If you don't want to flyfish, don't insist on fishing a flyfishing only stream and don't whine that you are being persecuted because you prefer spinning tackle.

    Marriage is a heterosexual thing and always was despite specious arguments by homosexuals and advocates of homosexuality. Two people of the same sex living together may be a relationship of one sort or another but it isn't a marriage.
    Better option:

    If you don't like fishing, and only support flyfishing... just flyfish instead of insisting that the government ban everyone from fishing in any lake or stream in the nation.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #237
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Every state that comes after this has the wonderful distinction of being slower than Alaska in establishing marriage equality.
    Yeah, thanks for reminding me how much i despise my state

  8. #238
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but it's a very queer opinion (some pun intended) and it's one that's only recently been considered to be a wonderful brainstorm by liberals.



    You enjoy using the royal "we", I see.



    Marriage is a sanction the government must issue. You know... the government of the people and by the people. And if "we the people" don't approve, we shouldn't be forced to sanction it. You can live with who you want but you can't force society to sanction it. Not rightly. It looks like you may end up forcing that, anyway, but it's not a pushover and it's a long hard road because you SHOULDN'T be able to force that. This is why it will be bad if the court forces homosexual marriage on states that don't want it. It's something that should be done through the legislative process IF the states want it because it IS their business becuase it's THEIR sanction people are trying to attain.
    So where you complaining about states' "rights" when "DOMA" was passed and the fed amendment that would ban SSM was voted on? Those were exactly the same as what you're going on about now, attempts by the fed to strip the states of any ability to decide for themselves.

  9. #239
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    They are not barred from marriage. The fact that marriage law requires the union of one of EACH sex - the pairing of opposites that is actually MARRIAGE does not bar them from being married. There is no law stating that you must assert that you are heterosexual before being married. The pairing of opposite sexes is the very purpose of marriage. The homogenous union of two people of the same sex is something but it's not a marriage. At least it wasn't until the Canada and the Netherlands decided to volunteer to be guinea pigs in this social experiment. I think it's too bad we aren't waiting longer to see what happens to them before deciding to join them. I think it's foolish on our part.
    Every wrong in history is corrected by someone taking that first step. Sort of like how interracial marriage was banned from the start, or how catholics couldn't marry non catholics and so on. Now would you say, all these years later, that a black female and white male cannot have a marriage? Or a protestant and catholic? Your view will suffer the same fate in posterity.

  10. #240
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    State endorsement of marriage at the state level is very much about taxes. Homosexual marriage will lower state and federal revenues. Basically, it's a tax dodge for homosexuals.
    Yeah making interracial marriage legal also lowered state revenue, guess you were just as pissed off about that huh? Puuuhlease, don't even give the excuse that your "concerned" about state revenue with SSM being legalized. Just admit you don't like it, at least you'll be honest. You could give two shakes of a piss about marriages not bringing in "revenue" for the states.

Page 24 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •