Page 22 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 830

Thread: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

  1. #211
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Equality isn't the issue. No one is barred from marriage because they're a homosexual. Homosexuals have all the rights everyone else has.
    Pretty sure they are being barred from marriage because they are homosexual because they are not free to marry the partner they want to marry.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  2. #212
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,815

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Equality isn't the issue. No one is barred from marriage because they're a homosexual. Homosexuals have all the rights everyone else has.
    this lie has already been destroyed repeatedly by many posts and posters, oh yeah and court cases LMAO

    repeat it as many times as you want it a failed fallacy and strawman.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #213
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,815

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Pretty sure they are being barred from marriage because they are homosexual because they are not free to marry the partner they want to marry.
    thats what the court cases say . . but i guess those dont count lol
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #214
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    And we (The Netherlands) have had gay marriage for 13 plus years and it has not changed anything to the status of the institute of marriage.
    Let's see how marriage has made out in the Netherlands since 2001. Marriage is at the lowest level as a percentage of the population since 1935. Only 1 in 10 homosexuals is married today and marriage as a social institution is in steady decline. The Netherlands blows away any argument that homosexual marriage is actually a good thing for the institution of marriage in our society. It either coincides with the dismal decline of marriage in the Netherlands or is at least partly to blame for it.

    Conclusion from this evaluation: http://www.marriagedebate.com/pdf/iMAPP.May2011-rev.pdf is below.

    After ten years of same‐sex marriage, approximately 9 out of 10 gay and lesbian
    people in the Netherlands have still not chosen to enter a legal marriage.* *Marriage
    as a social institution continues to decline, with lower rates of marriage, higher rates of
    divorce and out of wedlock childbearing among opposite sex couples.

    As noted above, correlation does not prove causation.**

    At a minimum the data from the Netherlands does suggest that the hopes of
    those making a conservative case for gay marriage that it will strengthen marriage
    generally and dramatically increase the stability and fidelity among same‐sex
    couples‐‐are likely to be disappointed.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  5. #215
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,815

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Let's see how marriage has made out in the Netherlands since 2001. Marriage is at the lowest level as a percentage of the population since 1935. Only 1 in 10 homosexuals is married today and marriage as a social institution is in steady decline. The Netherlands blows away any argument that homosexual marriage is actually a good thing for the institution of marriage in our society. It either coincides with the dismal decline of marriage in the Netherlands or is at least partly to blame for it.

    Conclusion from this evaluation: http://www.marriagedebate.com/pdf/iMAPP.May2011-rev.pdf is below.
    LMAO another failed strawman, you realize theres not ONE fact here that supports equal rights is bad for marriage? not ONE
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #216
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,968

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Let's see how marriage has made out in the Netherlands since 2001. Marriage is at the lowest level as a percentage of the population since 1935. Only 1 in 10 homosexuals is married today and marriage as a social institution is in steady decline. The Netherlands blows away any argument that homosexual marriage is actually a good thing for the institution of marriage in our society. It either coincides with the dismal decline of marriage in the Netherlands or is at least partly to blame for it.

    Conclusion from this evaluation: http://www.marriagedebate.com/pdf/iMAPP.May2011-rev.pdf is below.
    All that means is that people see government-run marriage as the sham it is. Why would anyone want to enter into material contract and lose all their assets if the marriage doesn't work out? It's not worth it anymore, not with the financial pressures of the modern world. People don't want to sign that kind of contract. I know of many people who had marriage ceremonies with their communities and loved ones, and did not invite government. So what if it's not legally recognized? Legal recognition means that big brother gets to tell you what to do with your money and assets.

    That said, people should have equal right to enter into a marriage contract with another consenting adult of their choosing, regardless of their sex. It's not hard to grasp.

    As for the OP... America is woefully behind the times. Most western nations settled this question years ago. For instance, Canada did in 2005, with a single parliamentary discussion about it. The U.S. lacks the integrity to make a nation-wide ruling, which makes no sense. Either everyone is equal or they're not. Leaving it up to the States means you can equivocate on equality. Sad.

    Yeah... Alaska's ruling is a victory which is great, but it's the year 2014 and the U.S. is still divided over an issue which, according to its Bill of Rights, is rather cut and dry. Most other countries in the free world got off the gay marriage party bus years ago.

  7. #217
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Pretty sure they are being barred from marriage because they are homosexual because they are not free to marry the partner they want to marry.
    They are not barred from marriage. The fact that marriage law requires the union of one of EACH sex - the pairing of opposites that is actually MARRIAGE does not bar them from being married. There is no law stating that you must assert that you are heterosexual before being married. The pairing of opposite sexes is the very purpose of marriage. The homogenous union of two people of the same sex is something but it's not a marriage. At least it wasn't until the Canada and the Netherlands decided to volunteer to be guinea pigs in this social experiment. I think it's too bad we aren't waiting longer to see what happens to them before deciding to join them. I think it's foolish on our part.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  8. #218
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,815

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    They are not barred from marriage. The fact that marriage law requires the union of one of EACH sex - the pairing of opposites that is actually MARRIAGE does not bar them from being married. There is no law stating that you must assert that you are heterosexual before being married. The pairing of opposite sexes is the very purpose of marriage. The homogenous union of two people of the same sex is something but it's not a marriage. At least it wasn't until the Canada and the Netherlands decided to volunteer to be guinea pigs in this social experiment. I think it's too bad we aren't waiting longer to see what happens to them before deciding to join them. I think it's foolish on our part.
    everything you post, facts, laws, and court cases prove wrong, why do you think people will believe it?
    once again nobody is fooled.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #219
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,538

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Equality isn't the issue. No one is barred from marriage because they're a homosexual. Homosexuals have all the rights everyone else has.
    No they don't have the same rights as everyone else if they wish to marry someone of the same gender, so you're wrong.
    Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he can sit in a boat, drinking beer all day while you fool around with his Woman.

  10. #220
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    No they don't have the same rights as everyone else if they wish to marry someone of the same gender, so you're wrong.
    Incorrect. The laws apply equally to you whether you are heterosexual or not. A heterosexual can't marry someone of the same sex, either. This isn't an equal rights issue.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Page 22 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •