Page 20 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 830

Thread: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

  1. #191
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    well, I am not quite sure that it is only far right evangelicals that find the idea of gay marriage rather off the wall. Since the beginning of the last century my family has been strongly equal rights for Blacks, gays and other minorities. But I must say that I can hardly see marriage something that fits for gays' equality. As a matter of fact, I believe that if gays are to have it, we should take it out of the government portfolio and privatize it.
    I agree. You don't have to be religious for the idea of homosexual marriage to be an oxymoron.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  2. #192
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,533

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I'll go along with the last statement. I think we're all making mountains out of molehills here. I don't think homosexual marriage is really a huge issue for this country despite how much attention it's gotten. While I'm solid in my opinion, the weight of the issue isn't one of great importance. That's probably one of the reasons why the Supreme Court isn't stepping in to legislate from the bench. They don't see this as anything but a molehill doing a mountain impersonation, either.
    I've been married three times. My gay friends have been a mutually exclusive couple three times longer than my combined marriages. If two dudes want to marry, then who cares let them.
    Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he can sit in a boat, drinking beer all day while you fool around with his Woman.

  3. #193
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,751

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Actually, I don't know of any homosexual couples with adopted children. I know there are some, but I don't know them. I don't see the sense in male/male or female/female relationships being considered "marriage". That's not what marriage is. Not in my state and not in most of the world. And not anywhere until 2001 when Canada hosted the very first homosexual marriages in modern times. For the life of me, I don't know what got into this country to want to be on the cutting edge of liberal social re-engineering in such a way. I always considered this country to be a conservative country but it seems we're actually trying to push ahead of Europe to take the lead in radical social liberalism. I think it's a really bad mistake that we aren't dancing with the babe that brought us to the ball and that babe is social and economic conservatism.
    That's surprising - I know many gay couples with children - but it's a moot point, really. As you say, they exist, and according to recent estimates, at least 100,000 gay couples are raising children. So why doesn't it make "perfect sense" for them to marry same as straight couples with children?

    And why doesn't it make as much "perfect sense" for a gay couple to marry as my 76 year old mother and her 76 year old boyfriend? You say, "I don't see the sense" but that's not a reason. I don't see the "sense" in Rush Limbaugh's 4th marriage at age 59, but no one asked me about it and my views on it are irrelevant to the law and to Rush's decision to marry, again. For me to object to his 4th marriage being legally recognized by the state, I need a better reason than my personal views on whether I personally think it makes "sense."

  4. #194
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    It was conservatives that fought against child labor laws, Women's suffrage, slavery, interracial marriage and civil rights. They were on the wrong side of history then and they are on the wrong side of history with SSM.
    Conservatives have kept liberals from running this country straight off a cliff. All political systems need conservatives as the force for preserving the status quo and liberals as the voice for change. Because of the tension between the two and the heated and pitched battles over the issues, we are able to navigate the treacherous waters of change with reasonable caution. We conservatives need you liberals to fight for change as much as you liberals need us conservatives to make you prove the change will be beneficial or at least not detrimental. It's not that conservatives have been on "the wrong side of history". It's that you only count the battles liberals have won. Liberals are on the wrong side of many issues like advancing socialism and deleting the 2nd amendment. But we still need to hear your arguments as much as you need to hear ours.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  5. #195
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,533

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Conservatives have kept liberals from running this country straight off a cliff. All political systems need conservatives as the force for preserving the status quo and liberals as the voice for change. Because of the tension between the two and the heated and pitched battles over the issues, we are able to navigate the treacherous waters of change with reasonable caution. We conservatives need you liberals to fight for change as much as you liberals need us conservatives to make you prove the change will be beneficial or at least not detrimental. It's not that conservatives have been on "the wrong side of history". It's that you only count the battles liberals have won. Liberals are on the wrong side of many issues like advancing socialism and deleting the 2nd amendment. But we still need to hear your arguments as much as you need to hear ours.
    You don't disagree with my points. Thank's for confirming while trying to flip it.
    Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he can sit in a boat, drinking beer all day while you fool around with his Woman.

  6. #196
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,124

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Actually, I don't know of any homosexual couples with adopted children. I know there are some, but I don't know them. I don't see the sense in male/male or female/female relationships being considered "marriage". That's not what marriage is. Not in my state and not in most of the world. And not anywhere until 2001 when Canada hosted the very first homosexual marriages in modern times. For the life of me, I don't know what got into this country to want to be on the cutting edge of liberal social re-engineering in such a way. I always considered this country to be a conservative country but it seems we're actually trying to push ahead of Europe to take the lead in radical social liberalism. I think it's a really bad mistake that we aren't dancing with the babe that brought us to the ball and that babe is social and economic conservatism.
    To the contrary same-sex marriage is extremely conservative. As one conservative commentator has said, "Marriage requires thinking beyond one's own needs. It transforms two individuals into a union based on shared aspirations, and in doing so establishes a formal investment in the well-being of society. The fact that individuals who happen to be gay want to share in this vital social institution is evidence that conservative ideals enjoy widespread acceptance. Conservatives should celebrate this, rather than lament it."

  7. #197
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    You don't disagree with my points. Thank's for confirming while trying to flip it.
    And thank you for not paying any attention to what I was really saying. Arguing that "conservatives were wrong about XYZ" isn't a logical argument that they must also be wrong about "ABC", too. I think it is also a little sleazy to try to pin racism on conservatives but that's another pissing contest completely. But hey... since it's a pissing contest you seem to really want, why don't you try starting a thread about that.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  8. #198
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    To the contrary same-sex marriage is extremely conservative. As one conservative commentator has said, "Marriage requires thinking beyond one's own needs. It transforms two individuals into a union based on shared aspirations, and in doing so establishes a formal investment in the well-being of society. The fact that individuals who happen to be gay want to share in this vital social institution is evidence that conservative ideals enjoy widespread acceptance. Conservatives should celebrate this, rather than lament it."
    I disagree. There's nothing conservative about redefining marriage from one man and one woman to "any two people that want to play husband and wife regardless of their actual sex".
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  9. #199
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,124

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I disagree. There's nothing conservative about redefining marriage from one man and one woman to "any two people that want to play husband and wife regardless of their actual sex".
    You are entitled to your personal opinion but you do not have a monopoly on defining conservative values. You are also under no obligation to respect same-sex relationships but as a man who has been in a relationship with his partner for 4 years, I can tell you that I do not practice a "husband and wife" relationship. I have a family with my partner.

  10. #200
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    You are entitled to your personal opinion but you do not have a monopoly on defining conservative values. You are also under no obligation to respect same-sex relationships but as a man who has been in a relationship with his partner for 4 years, I can tell you that I do not practice a "husband and wife" relationship. I have a family with my partner.
    And I respect your right to your own opinion even though you don't have a monopoly on defining conservative values, either. My respect for homosexual relationships isn't the issue and your relationship is your business. Only when people want the state to sanction their relationship does that become their business - not the relationship; just the sanction. And with homosexual marriage being a novel concept only realized for the first time in modern history since 2001, I think it's more than a little unreasonable for anyone to think that failure to embrace it must be purely because of bigotry or a desire to oppress anyone. It's a social experiment so novel that it will take some time for everyone to get used to it. Where it takes us is anyone's guess. Will the whole world end up promoting homosexual marriages? Will it be a mistake that we rescind? Will it be something that turns out to be so insignificant that we'll all wonder what the fuss was about? No one knows.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Page 20 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •