Page 18 of 83 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 830

Thread: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

  1. #171
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Marriage is simply the union of two entity's in matromony.
    It's the union of two entities.

    It has nothing to do with matrimony.

    Middle English, from Anglo-French matrimoignie, from Latin matrimonium, from matr-, mater mother, matron — more at mother
    Matrimony only makes sense from a heterosexual perspective. It establishes the union of a man and woman as support for having children. It derives from motherhood, which can only naturally occur through a heterosexual union.

    Homsexual unions are a sort of relationship but it is perverse to think of that sort of relationship as "marriage".
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  2. #172
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    translation: you dont want equal rights, we get it.
    Your English to Strawman translator is working like a champ, as always.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  3. #173
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Indeed they do, plain text and historical reading of the constitution is not the same as rewriting it to mean whatever you want it to mean.
    Yeah, I say the same thing about the 2nd Amendment but you wouldn't believe how many people want to completely ignore the first half of it.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #174
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I know. That's really the crux of it. It's not about equal rights for people. It's about demanding society consider their relationships to be sanctioned just like heterosexual relationships. I just don't believe the state has to sanction them if the state doesn't want to sanction them. Heterosexual family units make perfect sense. Homosexual "family units" don't. I think it's unrealistic to expect society to consider them both to be the same.
    And they are legally sanctioned just like heterosexual relationships. Now if you want to consider them differently from a religious perspective, that's up to you, nobody really cares, but legally, we have a guarantee of equal protection under the law, that's how it's going to be. Deal with it.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #175
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Your English to Strawman translator is working like a champ, as always.
    if you think i posted a strawman all you have to do is factually prove so, your posts prove you do not support equal rights
    we will wait for that proof, thanks lol
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #176
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Matrimony only makes sense from a heterosexual perspective. It establishes the union of a man and woman as support for having children. It derives from motherhood, which can only naturally occur through a heterosexual union.
    Which, of course, is a ridiculous criteria because heterosexuals who don't want children or can't have children are not denied the ability to get married. That's total nonsense and you know it.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #177
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Note that the states aren't banning homosexual liaisons. A state's ban on gay marriage is a statement that it is not going to be coerced into normalizing homosexuality and sanctioning homosexual unions and giving tax incentives for people to enter into homosexual unions. The "benefit" is that they don't have to jump through whatever hoops homosexuals want. Unless a state sees a benefit in doing so, it shouldn't be made to do so and this state sees no benefit in sanctioning homosexual unions as "marriage" and
    I think my state's decision is a wise one.


    Most people in the USA don't agree with you and that means that you lose.

  8. #178
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,536

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I just cut to the chase. I know this argument. Try to pretend that denying homosexuals state sanction of their marriage is like denying otherwise normal heterosexual couples from marrying because one of them isn't the "right" race. It's not a racial issue. Forbidding marriage among interracial couples that are in every other way qualified to be married just because they're not both the same race is not constitutional. I don't find the "race" angle to be useful at all for proponents of homosexual marriage.
    If this conversation were taking place in 1965, it would be very much about race. Your sentiments mirror those who were against interracial marriage. Conservatives fought it right up until 1967 when the Supreme Court invalidated laws prohibiting interracial marriage.
    Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he can sit in a boat, drinking beer all day while you fool around with his Woman.

  9. #179
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    if you think i posted a strawman all you have to do is factually prove so, your posts prove you do not support equal rights
    we will wait for that proof, thanks lol
    The fact that you posted something I didn't say and don't agree with is all the proof necessary that your English to Strawman translator is working just as good as it always does.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  10. #180
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I should have restricted that to the multitude of homosexuals who use slurs like "breeders" when referring to heterosexuals.... and those like my brother that think marriage is a farce that homosexuals are too smart to get involved in.... or at least that was his position before homosexual marriage became the politically correct cause for homosexuals like himself. It is a generalization. But it's not an "overgeneralization" nor is it a prejudice. I know there are exceptions, but most homosexuals I've known (and I've known a LOT of them) always thought marriage was a "hetero" thing until very recent years and I'm very suspicious of the motivation for this sudden embracing of homosexual marriage by a community that previously thought it was the dumbest institution man ever created.
    I am guessing you belong to an older generation. Many older gay activists were sexual liberationists which probably gave rise to your particular perspective of gay rights activists. There is nothing "sudden." Younger gay folks came into a world that was more accepting of homosexuality and they have saught stable unions. Rather than having to fight for the privacy and legitimacy of their sex lives they have been able to fight for their relationships. They generally have different values than the older generation.

Page 18 of 83 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •