Page 17 of 83 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 830

Thread: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

  1. #161
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    But they don't have the power to do that, it's the end of our constitutional republic!
    Indeed they do, plain text and historical reading of the constitution is not the same as rewriting it to mean whatever you want it to mean.

  2. #162
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yes, and the courts stepping in to overturn an unconstituonal impedement to individual liberty is exactly how it should work. Rights of the minority shouldn't have to wait until the majority approves.
    However, it was his assertion, shared by others, that the majority already approves.

  3. #163
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You keep bouncing back and forth between saying equal rights would be fine but then insist that homosexuals not be sanctioned by equal treatment under the law. Seriously, stop pretending you ever supported civil unions.
    I'm not bouncing back and forth about whether this is pertinent to equal rights. I've never considered this to be an equal rights issue and still don't. Homosexuals already have equal rights in all 50 states.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  4. #164
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,973

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I'm not bouncing back and forth about whether this is pertinent to equal rights. I've never considered this to be an equal rights issue and still don't. Homosexuals already have equal rights in all 50 states.
    But homosexuals want their marriages to be treated the same as an traditional marriage.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  5. #165
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    1.) I've never considered this to be an equal rights issue and still don't.
    2.) Homosexuals already have equal rights in all 50 states.
    1.) another factually wrong consideration
    2.) another factually wrong assumption

    do you live in america or are you foreign?
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #166
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    It is an equal rights issue and that's why the courts will support it no matter what you say.
    We disagree. The justices of the supreme court disagree with each other on this, too. Homosexuals already have equal rights. No one is barred from marriage because they are homosexual. If you don't want to marry someone of the opposite sex, you don't really want to be married. You want to be in some other sort of a relationship but you don't want MARRIAGE. And it's not a violation of your rights that you can't dictate to the state what sorts of relationships they must sanction as marriage.

    So that's that. You have your opinion. I have mine. And it's a pitched battle across the country. I think eventually the homosexuals will win this one but I think it's not because people think that homosexual marriage is a good thing for this country. I think they're just ready to acquiesce and move on to more important issues. I can relate to that. I don't think this is anywhere near the most important issue facing this country, either.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  7. #167
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    But homosexuals want their marriages to be treated the same as an traditional marriage.
    I know. That's really the crux of it. It's not about equal rights for people. It's about demanding society consider their relationships to be sanctioned just like heterosexual relationships. I just don't believe the state has to sanction them if the state doesn't want to sanction them. Heterosexual family units make perfect sense. Homosexual "family units" don't. I think it's unrealistic to expect society to consider them both to be the same.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  8. #168
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,973

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I know. That's really the crux of it. It's not about equal rights for people. It's about demanding society consider their relationships to be sanctioned just like heterosexual relationships. I just don't believe the state has to sanction them if the state doesn't want to sanction them. Heterosexual family units make perfect sense. Homosexual "family units" don't. I think it's unrealistic to expect society to consider them both to be the same.
    Marriage is simply the union of two entity's in matromony.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  9. #169
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I know. That's really the crux of it. It's not about equal rights for people. It's about demanding society consider their relationships to be sanctioned just like heterosexual relationships. I just don't believe the state has to sanction them if the state doesn't want to sanction them. Heterosexual family units make perfect sense. Homosexual "family units" don't. I think it's unrealistic to expect society to consider them both to be the same.
    translation: you dont want equal rights, we get it.

    but unfortunately for you people have rights in this country and equal rights is winning
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #170
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Oh yes, I sure you will. You obviously care more about some folks agreeing with you than you do about t
    he rewriting of the constitution by a few robed folks.


    The US constitution has been amended and re-interpreted since it first came into existence. I'm sure that it will continue to be changed in the future.

Page 17 of 83 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •