Page 12 of 83 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 830

Thread: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

  1. #111
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,804

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No you aren't, you're just repeating the same old drak that has been answered ad infinitum.
    another dodge and ZERO facts that support you, maybe in your next post? thanks
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #112
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Marriage equality. That's really the right phrase because this isn't about equal rights for people.

    I hope my state has the distinction of being the last to succumb to liberal social engineering
    .


    Someone always has to be the last one to wake up and accept reality.




    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

  3. #113
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    People like Papa, Clown, Paleocon, etc are just angry that they lost and that the worldview they've relied upon is being eroded as time goes on. The end of this fight is in sight and they know it.
    That's clownboy and the only thing I've lost is what we all lost in this, the US Constitution, my state constitution, the will of the people and the system we were taught we had.

    Yes, the end is in sight for our constitutional republic. Not because of homosexual marriage, but because of how this thing was done.

  4. #114
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No, and this silly assertion has been debunked many times before in many threads.
    Could you explain precisely how same sex marriage is not an equal protection issue and perhaps cite exactly how the over 45 judges who have ruled otherwise are wrong?

  5. #115
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    Wow, duck and weave. Your god creates gays, if they are deviant, then god is not perfect, maybe even deviant.

    You still have nothing other than you don't like gay people, lots of people didn't like black people, that is why there were laws against interracial marriage.
    But he denies that he believes in a god, which I think we all know is nonsense because there isn't a credible case to be made against homosexuality without a religious component. We know, as an undeniable fact, that homosexuality is pretty universal in nature. We see it in tons of species. It is no more deviant in humans than it is in chimpanzees. Having someone pretend not to be religious because it gets away from the major disagreement seems rather silly.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #116
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,799

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I don't support civil unions either, now. I did a few years ago. I thought it was an excellent way to provide the "equal rights" homosexuals were clamoring for without a great deal of political resistance. Of course, it became very clear to me after many discussions with homsexuals that it really wasn't about equal rights at all because that was rejected off hand because it didn't make homosexuality "as normal as heterosexuality". I was, however, of the mind that it was a reasonable concession to provide civil unions to any two people who wanted to be in a domestic partnership. But after my idiot militant homosexual activist brother (the same one that claims the government invented AIDS to wipe out homosexuals) threw a hissy fit and told me I need to get off the fence and stop being "ambivalent", I got off the fence. Now I can't and won't support either homosexual marriage or civil unions. The in-your-face attitude of militant homosexual activists isn't something that promotes sympathy or compassion. Not for me, anyway.

    Those homosexuals who want to believe everyone that doesn't think homosexual marriage makes sense must be a religious right extremist are deluding themselves.
    I would support black rights if they weren't so uppity about it!
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #117
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Oh yes, I sure you will. You obviously care more about some folks agreeing with you than you do about the rewriting of the constitution by a few robed folks.
    Was there an election where you were named as Supreme Interpreter of the U.S. Constitution? Damn, nobody told me.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  8. #118
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    State endorsement of marriage at the state level is very much about taxes. Homosexual marriage will lower state and federal revenues.
    Basically, it's a tax dodge for homosexuals.


    Guess what? Getting married is and always has been a big tax dodge for heterosexuals.

  9. #119
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    These threads always make me smile. Both the inexorable victory for equality, and the hilarious flailing opponents. The assertions that same sex equality somehow violates religious liberty never fails to amuse, since in order to make that argument, opposition to same sex conduct would have to be universal among religious beliefs, and it isn't. In order to say that some religions' beliefs against homosexuality should inform public policy but not beliefs of other religions that support homosexuality IS a violation of religious liberty, as it explicitly places some religions above others. The argument that marriage isn't a right or that the precedents established in Loving don't apply to gays frankly demonstrates how armchair crusaders are a long long way from actual constitutional scholars.

    It's gratifying that the same arguments keep winning in nearly every single case. Marriage is a fundamental right in this country, and to violate that right just for gays doesn't even meet a rational basis test, let alone the higher levels of scrutiny that all marriage, gay or straight, deserves. The opposition arguments about the state's interest in promoting heterosexual reproduction are rightfully discarded, as any such interest is not furthered by preventing gays from marrying. Absolutely no legitimate interest is furthered by preventing gays from marrying.

    At this point, there is no reason to suspect that any state will be able to continue to discriminate against gay Americans. The circuit court judges (who are apparently all activists) know the law a lot better than the aforementioned armchair philosophers and understand that there is only one correct answer in this question. The big thing that still needs to happen is a ruling affording same sex marriage higher constitutional protections than rational basis. At very least, it should be analogous to the intermediate scrutiny of gender-based classification. However, the actual physical differences between men and women that could sometimes warrant specific protections for one sex and not the other doesn't warrant that level of protection. Sexuality is intrinsic to a person without altering them in any way, and is thus closer to skin color or national origin, warranting strict scrutiny. Either way, while it is satisfying that SSM bans fail to meet even the lowest level of constitutional scrutiny, sexual orientation needs to be protected at a higher level.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  10. #120
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,804

    Re: Alaska ban on same-sex marriage ruled unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    People {EDIT}are just angry that they lost and that the worldview they've relied upon is being eroded as time goes on. The end of this fight is in sight and they know it.
    this is VERY true for many people.

    the fear, hate bigotry and just illogical dislike that equal rights is generating in some is astounding.


    All these made up excuses that have all been debunked and destroyed, all these failed scare tactics and straw-men (rogue/activist judges, states rights, pedophilia, bestiality, freedom of religion etc) and flat out lies or ignorance is all laughable and sad at the same time.

    Laughable because NOBODY honest and educated falls for it and sad that some of the people spewing that mentally inane nonsensical babble actually think its true, its not an act!
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 12 of 83 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •