Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 470

Thread: Texas Health Care Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

  1. #311
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Texas Health Care Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    It appears that the Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas, where a 2nd worker has now tested positive for Ebola, initially lacked proper equipment and training. From The Washington Post:

    The CDC’s Rollin, who spent nearly three months in West Africa fighting the Ebola outbreak, and who has studied Ebola for three decades, flew to Dallas on Sunday and held intensive discussions with doctors and nurses at the hospital about how they had handled the Duncan case.

    He said the hospital originally had no full-body biohazard suits equipped with respirators but now has about a dozen. Protocols evolved at the hospital while Duncan was being treated, he said: “Collecting samples, with needles, then you have to have two people, one to watch. I think when the patient arrived they didn’t have someone to watch.”


    Dallas hospital learned its Ebola protocols while struggling to save mortally ill patient - The Washington Post

  2. #312
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Texas Health Care Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    It appears that the Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas, where a 2nd worker has now tested positive for Ebola, initially lacked proper equipment and training. From The Washington Post:

    The CDC’s Rollin, who spent nearly three months in West Africa fighting the Ebola outbreak, and who has studied Ebola for three decades, flew to Dallas on Sunday and held intensive discussions with doctors and nurses at the hospital about how they had handled the Duncan case.

    He said the hospital originally had no full-body biohazard suits equipped with respirators but now has about a dozen. Protocols evolved at the hospital while Duncan was being treated, he said: “Collecting samples, with needles, then you have to have two people, one to watch. I think when the patient arrived they didn’t have someone to watch.”


    Dallas hospital learned its Ebola protocols while struggling to save mortally ill patient - The Washington Post
    This failure rests squarely on the CDC. They were suppose to be there to see that protocols were implemented and followed.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #313
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Texas Health Care Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    And you stated it is spreading from her to others. Absolutely not true.

    Next!
    Next?

    I do not vouch for the source, but your claim may have been premature.

    Ebola Nurse Boyfriend Reportedly Admitted With Ebola Symptoms
    WITH UPDATE

    An email sent out to the Alcon staff by its CEO reportedly said that the ebola nurse’s boyfriend was admitted into hospital with “Ebola-like symptoms.”

    [...]


    Ebola Nurse Boyfriend Admitted With Ebola Symptoms



    In addition.
    Though not attributable to her, and as mentioned above, just a different source.


    2nd health care worker tests positive for Ebola at Dallas hospital
    By Holly Yan, CNN
    updated 6:18 AM EDT, Wed October 15, 2014


    2nd Dallas worker tests positive for Ebola - CNN.com
    Last edited by Excon; 10-15-14 at 08:08 AM.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  4. #314
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,324

    Re: Texas Health Care Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    It appears that the Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas, where a 2nd worker has now tested positive for Ebola, initially lacked proper equipment and training. From The Washington Post:

    The CDC’s Rollin, who spent nearly three months in West Africa fighting the Ebola outbreak, and who has studied Ebola for three decades, flew to Dallas on Sunday and held intensive discussions with doctors and nurses at the hospital about how they had handled the Duncan case.

    He said the hospital originally had no full-body biohazard suits equipped with respirators but now has about a dozen. Protocols evolved at the hospital while Duncan was being treated, he said: “Collecting samples, with needles, then you have to have two people, one to watch. I think when the patient arrived they didn’t have someone to watch.”


    Dallas hospital learned its Ebola protocols while struggling to save mortally ill patient - The Washington Post

    This is the CDC's fault, not the Hospitals or the health workers. It was THEIR PROTOCOLS.

    They still haven't determined how the Nurse contracted the virus.
    Last edited by Fenton; 10-15-14 at 08:00 AM.

  5. #315
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,944

    Re: Texas Health Care Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    That hasn't stopped anybody from blaming the nurse for not following whatever the protocols are.

  6. #316
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    09-26-15 @ 04:38 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,143

    Re: Texas Health Care Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    This failure rests squarely on the CDC. They were suppose to be there to see that protocols were implemented and followed.
    Look at this White House asks for $30M for CDC's Ebola efforts They are saying that the ebola spread is crazy and they need money to fight ebola in africa back in the begining of september, before patient zero

    “We have quarantine stations at all the major ports of entry,” he said. People cannot transmit Ebola to others unless they are sick, and Ebola makes you so sick that it’s pretty obvious pretty quickly, Frieden said. A traveler will be flagged by the flight crew and if someone gets sick after arrival in the U.S. they will almost certainly seek medical care.

    “Ebola poses little risk to the U.S. general population,” Frieden said. “Ebola is spread as people get sicker and sicker. They have fever and may develop serious symptoms.” Ebola doesn’t spread through the air like measles. People who get sick are family members or healthcare workers in prolonged and close contact with victims. - Tom frieden on NBC Ebola Outbreak 'Not in the Cards' for U.S., CDC Director Says - NBC News


    There are only 19 level 4 bio-containment beds in the United States | Ready Nutrition

    "First and foremost, I want the American people to know that our experts, here at the CDC and across our government, agree that the chances of an Ebola outbreak here in the United States are extremely low. We’ve been taking the necessary precautions, including working with countries in West Africa to increase screening at airports so that someone with the virus doesn’t get on a plane for the United States. In the unlikely event that someone with Ebola does reach our shores, we’ve taken new measures so that we’re prepared here at home. We’re working to help flight crews identify people who are sick, and more labs across our country now have the capacity to quickly test for the virus. We’re working with hospitals to make sure that they are prepared, and to ensure that our doctors, our nurses and our medical staff are trained, are ready, and are able to deal with a possible case safely." - Barack Obama september -16 Remarks by the President on the Ebola Outbreak | The White House

    Do you honostly think that any of these people are going to be held responsible for the complete incompatence. We have no way in dealing with Ebola and OBAMA is planning on spending 750 million dollars on the military to go "fight ebola" when we only have 19 level four beds here in america? U.S. military will lead $750 million fight against Ebola in West Africa - The Washington Post


    Hopefully this does not kill alot of people in america, as the tragedy of those who have died in africa, but how many deaths will it take until somone is actually fired?

  7. #317
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,324

    Re: Texas Health Care Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    That hasn't stopped anybody from blaming the nurse for not following whatever the protocols are.


    They have to blame her.

    The only other alternative for them is to blame the CDC or Obama's appointment to the CDC, which they won't do because it makes Obama look bad.

  8. #318
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,944

    Re: Texas Health Care Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertie76 View Post
    Look at this White House asks for $30M for CDC's Ebola efforts They are saying that the ebola spread is crazy and they need money to fight ebola in africa back in the begining of september, before patient zero

    “We have quarantine stations at all the major ports of entry,” he said. People cannot transmit Ebola to others unless they are sick, and Ebola makes you so sick that it’s pretty obvious pretty quickly, Frieden said. A traveler will be flagged by the flight crew and if someone gets sick after arrival in the U.S. they will almost certainly seek medical care.

    “Ebola poses little risk to the U.S. general population,” Frieden said. “Ebola is spread as people get sicker and sicker. They have fever and may develop serious symptoms.” Ebola doesn’t spread through the air like measles. People who get sick are family members or healthcare workers in prolonged and close contact with victims. - Tom frieden on NBC Ebola Outbreak 'Not in the Cards' for U.S., CDC Director Says - NBC News


    There are only 19 level 4 bio-containment beds in the United States | Ready Nutrition

    "First and foremost, I want the American people to know that our experts, here at the CDC and across our government, agree that the chances of an Ebola outbreak here in the United States are extremely low. We’ve been taking the necessary precautions, including working with countries in West Africa to increase screening at airports so that someone with the virus doesn’t get on a plane for the United States. In the unlikely event that someone with Ebola does reach our shores, we’ve taken new measures so that we’re prepared here at home. We’re working to help flight crews identify people who are sick, and more labs across our country now have the capacity to quickly test for the virus. We’re working with hospitals to make sure that they are prepared, and to ensure that our doctors, our nurses and our medical staff are trained, are ready, and are able to deal with a possible case safely." - Barack Obama september -16 Remarks by the President on the Ebola Outbreak | The White House

    Do you honostly think that any of these people are going to be held responsible for the complete incompatence. We have no way in dealing with Ebola and OBAMA is planning on spending 750 million dollars on the military to go "fight ebola" when we only have 19 level four beds here in america? U.S. military will lead $750 million fight against Ebola in West Africa - The Washington Post


    Hopefully this does not kill alot of people in america, as the tragedy of those who have died in africa, but how many deaths will it take until somone is actually fired?
    Examples here of money-squandering and links to more: President Obama Already Has An Ebola Czar. Where Is She?

    One of the links: The Facts About Ebola Funding - Gov. Bobby Jindal - POLITICO Magazine

  9. #319
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,324

    Re: Texas Health Care Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    " The chances of a Ebola Outbreak are extremely low "....

    President Obama

  10. #320
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Texas Health Care Worker Tests Positive for Ebola

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    This failure rests squarely on the CDC. They were suppose to be there to see that protocols were implemented and followed.
    Just so it's clear, I'm not blaming the hospital. It appears that the hospital did the best that it could under very challenging circumstances where equipment and training were lacking. That some initial errors occurred e.g., lack of full comminication of the initial patient's presence in Liberia, does not change this. Moreover, the CDC has now accepted some responsibility. From The Washington Post:

    The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the agency regretted its initial response to the first Ebola diagnosis in the United States, acknowledging that more could have been done to combat infection at the hospital treating the patient.

    “We did send some expertise in infection control,” Thomas Frieden said during a news conference Tuesday. “But I think we could, in retrospect, with 20/20 hindsight, have sent a more robust hospital infection control team and been more hands-on with the hospital from day one about exactly how this should be managed.”


    CDC director: We could have done more to prevent second Ebola infection in Texas - The Washington Post

    IMO, the U.S. and other countries would do best to learn from what happened, develop more robust approaches so that hospitals are prepared for dangerous viruses, assure that hospitals have the equipment they need, etc. Almost certainly, the U.S. and/or other countries will face a pandemic of some kind--maybe not in our lifetimes, but at some point in the future--be it from natural events, accident, biological attack, etc.
    Last edited by donsutherland1; 10-15-14 at 09:09 AM.

Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •