Page 99 of 110 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 990 of 1094

Thread: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

  1. #981
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,844

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    The controlling factor is that marriage is a union between two consenting people of opposite sexes, requiring one of each.
    Yes, exactly. Clearly a distinction of gender. Subject to equal protection challenges. And since we are requiring consenting adults, this rules out pedophilia and bestiality, so I'm glad to hear you will never bring up those slippery slope fallacies again!
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #982
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,844

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Marriage is the union of one of each sex. It's not about intolerance. It's not about bigotry. It's not about hating homosexuals. It's not about denying anyone rights or being "exclusionary". It's about marriage being the union of one man and one woman. Whether they're straight or homosexual is irrelevant. I can understand why homosexuals wouldn't think marriage was for them. What I don't understand is why they think that society must be required to change the very nature of marriage must be rearranged in order to make allowances for their unorthodox sexual preferences. Marriage will change as our society changes and our social views of marriage change and as states decide for themselves whether or not they want to promote and sanction homosexual unions.

    The fact that some of you cannot tolerate a view that traditional marriage, which has served mankind very well for thousands of years, should be redefined all of a sudden to incorporate two new "alternative lifestyle" models is "bigotry".
    No, it is not intolerant of your views. You still get to have your views. You still get to define marriage however you want, and other people get to define their marriage for themselves as well. You literally think "intolerant" means "they aren't letting me force my views on them."

    You are forcing your views on others. We are not trying to force anything onto you. Someone else's marriage is not an imposition upon you. Only a child thinks the entire world revolves around them.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #983
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yes, exactly. Clearly a distinction of gender. Subject to equal protection challenges. And since we are requiring consenting adults, this rules out pedophilia and bestiality, so I'm glad to hear you will never bring up those slippery slope fallacies again!
    Pedophelia and bestiality are definitely slippery slope arguments if they're being used in the sense that "gay marriage will lead to these things". But they are not slippery slope arguments when they are used to refute assertions that it is a violation of our human rights if people aren't permitted to marry whatever they love and have "feelings" for. They are proof that the argument fails.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  4. #984
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    No, it is not intolerant of your views. You still get to have your views. You still get to define marriage however you want, and other people get to define their marriage for themselves as well. You literally think "intolerant" means "they aren't letting me force my views on them."

    You are forcing your views on others. We are not trying to force anything onto you. Someone else's marriage is not an imposition upon you. Only a child thinks the entire world revolves around them.
    When you badmouth people that have opposing views, you are being intolerant and people who do not support homosexual marriage are very much badmouthed by those that do. It happens on a regular basis and you see it here all the time. It is an attempt to force people to get in line with their view and those who don't are impugned in every way possible. The advocates of homosexual marriage have proven to be very intolerant of opinions different than their own.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  5. #985
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,108

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    The controlling factor is that marriage is a union between two consenting people of opposite sexes, requiring one of each.
    except it doesn't require 1 of each nothing that couple has to do needs some one of any particular gender

  6. #986
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,108

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Marriage is the union of one of each sex. It's not about intolerance. It's not about bigotry. It's not about hating homosexuals. It's not about denying anyone rights or being "exclusionary". It's about marriage being the union of one man and one woman. Whether they're straight or homosexual is irrelevant. I can understand why homosexuals wouldn't think marriage was for them. What I don't understand is why they think that society must be required to change the very nature of marriage must be rearranged in order to make allowances for their unorthodox sexual preferences. Marriage will change as our society changes and our social views of marriage change and as states decide for themselves whether or not they want to promote and sanction homosexual unions.

    The fact that some of you cannot tolerate a view that traditional marriage, which has served mankind very well for thousands of years, should be redefined all of a sudden to incorporate two new "alternative lifestyle" models is "bigotry".
    well marriage is already between peapole of the same gender in that case

    and since we cant fide any reason to stop marriage between peapole of the same gender its not fair that some states try to stop it so being intolerant of that is still not bigotry but instead the attempts to stop same sex marriage is what is bigoted

  7. #987
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,844

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    When you badmouth people that have opposing views, you are being intolerant and people who do not support homosexual marriage are very much badmouthed by those that do. It happens on a regular basis and you see it here all the time. It is an attempt to force people to get in line with their view and those who don't are impugned in every way possible. The advocates of homosexual marriage have proven to be very intolerant of opinions different than their own.
    Aren't you, then, forcing your views on others when you say homosexuality is wrong? Aren't you badmouthing and intolerant then?

    Why do you get so upset when people say you are being intolerant, when you are conforming to your own, admitted definition of intolerant?

    Or is this how it works: When Papa Bull expresses his opinion, it's free speech. When Deuce expresses his opinion of Papa Bull's opinion, it's intolerance.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #988
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    except it doesn't require 1 of each nothing that couple has to do needs some one of any particular gender
    words is by stringing together sense randomly making not
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  9. #989
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,108

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    words is by stringing together sense randomly making not
    you should not do that then

  10. #990
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Aren't you, then, forcing your views on others when you say homosexuality is wrong? Aren't you badmouthing and intolerant then?

    Why do you get so upset when people say you are being intolerant, when you are conforming to your own, admitted definition of intolerant?

    Or is this how it works: When Papa Bull expresses his opinion, it's free speech. When Deuce expresses his opinion of Papa Bull's opinion, it's intolerance.
    I didn't say homosexuality is wrong. I said that marriage is a union of two people that must have one member of each sex. My position has nothing to do with the rightness or wrongness of homosexuality. It has to do with the nature of marriage. It is a "marriage" of opposite sexes into a single union. Two people of the same sex are just a couple of people. They can love each other. They can engage in sexual activity if they wish. They can live together. They can be devoted to each other. But it can't be marriage because that's not the fundamental nature of marriage. Marriage was never intended nor designed to be some kind of insult to homosexuals. It's purpose isn't to "exclude" homosexuals. The nature of homosexuality is such that homosexuals, for the most part, exclude themselves because their choices in sexual partners make it impossible for those sex partners to be marriage partners because a marriage partner has to be of the opposite sex. Now we might break from that sane and rational tradition of marriage, but it will make us the exception to the rule.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •