Page 17 of 110 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 1094

Thread: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

  1. #161
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,924

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    I don't think you have a firm grasp of the term 'enemy'. I was a grunt and I'd never live in enemy territory- hunt there but not grow old there. I live in Oklahoma, not a real liberal state to say the least and I don't consider my neighbors 'the enemy'. They are just under a shallow spell cast by shammers poising as religious leaders...
    Leave him alone, I dont want him moving until after this vote in Nov. He's going to vote the way I want on the gun issues and we'll need every vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #162
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    06-13-15 @ 10:52 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    You're right, that issue shouldn't have been brought up, it'ss not a right for Gays to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    IT's unlawful to be a thief. Gays steal everything they want.

    BTW those signatures are Humans.
    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Same lame arugment....same inane attempt to make bigot a bad word.
    You want to make 'bigot' a good word?

  3. #163
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,924

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    IT's unlawful to be a thief. Gays steal everything they want.

    BTW those signatures are Humans.
    LOL

    It appears the gays have not cornered the market on drama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    How is it enough for them to just 'believe' it? For the discrimination to have any legal base at all it should have evidence of that social destructiveness. None has been shown in decades of gays living together. None has been shown for their raising of children. None has been shown in the years (more than a decade now) that SSM has been legal?

    So how is an unfounded belief enough to base any law or discrimination on?
    You've got it backwards. In rational basis review, the law being challenged is presumed constitutional. The party challenging it has the burden of showing that is is not rationally related to any legitimate government purpose.

    That is usually very hard to do, because under this standard courts defer strongly to the legislature that passed the law being challenged. They do that to respect the basic principle of the separation of powers that's built into the Constitution. That requires courts in equal protection cases to have a damn good reason to substitute their judgment for the legislature's--and indirectly, for the judgment of the people who elected that legislature.

    Take public nudity as an example. If a state law prohibits it, or allows it only in a few specified places, is it denying nudists the equal protection of the laws in violation of the 14th Amendment? If some nudists' rights group sued, would the state, to justify its law, have to produce evidence that allowing public nudity is an unwise, socially destructive policy? Would it have to refute evidence presented by the nudists that its view was unfounded, because public nudity has never been shown to have harmed anyone where it was practiced?

    Of course not. Ordinary rational basis review would apply, because there is no fundamental right to go nude in public, nor do laws that discriminate against nudists create a suspect classification. The nudist group wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of winning.

    What bigotry! How terribly cruel and unfair! What about their rights to live as wonderful, loving people who mean no harm to anyone, free from oppression? Why doesn't the Supreme Court Do something!!??

    Maybe next we'll see nudists recognized as a new victim group, trying like the others, no doubt, to trade on the imagery of the black civil rights movement. I can picture them marching--in the snow, maybe, to symbolize the suffering they've endured all these years. "We shall overcome some day-ay-ay-ay-ay . . ."

  5. #165
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,924

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    You've got it backwards. In rational basis review, the law being challenged is presumed constitutional. The party challenging it has the burden of showing that is is not rationally related to any legitimate government purpose.
    Already done. it provides a more stable environment in which to raise children and provides more legal protections and benefits for those children. All these benefit society/the state.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #166
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,924

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post

    Take public nudity as an example. If a state law prohibits it, or allows it only in a few specified places, is it denying nudists the equal protection of the laws in violation of the 14th Amendment? If some nudists' rights group sued, would the state, to justify its law, have to produce evidence that allowing public nudity is an unwise, socially destructive policy? Would it have to refute evidence presented by the nudists that its view was unfounded, because public nudity has never been shown to have harmed anyone where it was practiced?

    Of course not. Ordinary rational basis review would apply, because there is no fundamental right to go nude in public, nor do laws that discriminate against nudists create a suspect classification. The nudist group wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of winning.

    What bigotry! How terribly cruel and unfair! What about their rights to live as wonderful, loving people who mean no harm to anyone, free from oppression? Why doesn't the Supreme Court Do something!!??

    Maybe next we'll see nudists recognized as a new victim group, trying like the others, no doubt, to trade on the imagery of the black civil rights movement. I can picture them marching--in the snow, maybe, to symbolize the suffering they've endured all these years. "We shall overcome some day-ay-ay-ay-ay . . ."
    Ha ha awesome. Have that discussion going on right now with Hamster Budha in this thread:http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...itable-37.html

    Starts with post 367.

    Sorry, that one doesnt work either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Already done. it provides a more stable environment in which to raise children and provides more legal protections and benefits for those children. All these benefit society/the state.
    Asserting that in a post here is one thing--proving it in court is another.

  8. #168
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Ha ha awesome. Have that discussion going on right now with Hamster Budha in this thread:http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...itable-37.html

    Starts with post 367.

    Sorry, that one doesnt work either.
    Not just because you say it doesn't. If you think you can refute my point, try it--right here. What someone said on another thread doesn't interest me.

  9. #169
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,203

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    what have they taken from any one?

    Rainbows, marriage, dignity... to name a few
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  10. #170
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,203

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    of course bigots don't want to believe that bigotry is a bad word. That would not surprise anyone. .A bigot is a bigot is a bigot.....only a word or two changes.
    It's not a bad word...it'simply a difference of opinion.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

Page 17 of 110 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •