Page 109 of 110 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1094

Thread: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

  1. #1081
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Great, so when do I get to weigh in on on your marriage? Can't wait!
    Any time you want. Marriage laws are written by state legislatures and you may voice your opinion with them whenever you wish. It feels so good to go around granting people their wishes like this.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  2. #1082
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Any time you want. Marriage laws are written by state legislatures and you may voice your opinion with them whenever you wish. It feels so good to go around granting people their wishes like this.
    Could a state legislature write into marriage laws that interracial marriage was illegal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #1083
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    True, up until you ask the government to sanction your marriage, at which point it becomes everyone's business. If you want society to completely ignore your marriage, then why bother with a legal marriage?
    No, the government represents me as much as you. So not even then do you have a say. If the government agrees to sanction marriage, it sanctions the act and not the decision as to who.

    As for society ignoring, all of society never is involved, only those close to me or you. I don't sent out invitations to anyone else. Nor do I ask anyone else to comment, to approve, to give permission.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #1084
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    This hasn't got anything to do with how I view homosexuality. It has to do with how I see marriage and what marriage actually is. Love and commitment are one thing - marriage is another thing. They're not even necessarily related and people can have all the love and commitment they want without being married. And some marriages are entered into without love and maybe not even commitment nor is marriage actually a guarantee of either love or commitment. The fact that marriage is an institution comprised of one consenting member of each sex does not keep homosexuals from living together and loving together in a committed relationship if that's what they want to do. It just means that they aren't husband and wife, which wouldn't make sense, anyway.
    LMAO The way you describe it, marriage is *nothing but a contract titled 'marriage' between a male and a female*...something with no meaning at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #1085
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I didn't say homosexuality is wrong. I said that marriage is a union of two people that must have one member of each sex. My position has nothing to do with the rightness or wrongness of homosexuality. It has to do with the nature of marriage. It is a "marriage" of opposite sexes into a single union. Two people of the same sex are just a couple of people. They can love each other. They can engage in sexual activity if they wish. They can live together. They can be devoted to each other. But it can't be marriage because that's not the fundamental nature of marriage. Marriage was never intended nor designed to be some kind of insult to homosexuals. It's purpose isn't to "exclude" homosexuals. The nature of homosexuality is such that homosexuals, for the most part, exclude themselves because their choices in sexual partners make it impossible for those sex partners to be marriage partners because a marriage partner has to be of the opposite sex. Now we might break from that sane and rational tradition of marriage, but it will make us the exception to the rule.
    What is the 'purpose' of marriage?

    And then please tell me how gays cannot fulfill that purpose?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #1086
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    What is the 'purpose' of marriage?
    Depends on who you ask. When I ask the question of students with no prompting at all, just out of the blue, they say because you love someone and want to spend your life with them. I'm not sure how that would insult homosexuals, or disqualify them.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #1087
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    That's because it's not about gender. It doesn't have to "meet the test".
    From another thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Gender is a federally protected right under the Const. So this takes it out of the state's hands.

    marriage:
    man and woman
    man and man
    woman and woman

    See the red? GENDER change!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #1088
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, the government represents me as much as you. So not even then do you have a say. If the government agrees to sanction marriage, it sanctions the act and not the decision as to who.

    As for society ignoring, all of society never is involved, only those close to me or you. I don't sent out invitations to anyone else. Nor do I ask anyone else to comment, to approve, to give permission.
    Don't tell me you are so naive as to believe that all of society need not recognize your marriage, only those who are close to you. When you seek a legal marriage, you are making it everyone's business, and necessarily so.

  9. #1089
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Great, so when do I get to weigh in on on your marriage? Can't wait!

    I know one of the first things I do when others care what I think about their marriages is take a good, long look at Newt Gingrich marriage #3. Really, should society sanction someone marrying a mistress, who was part of an adulterous affair while hubby was married to wifey #2? I think not...
    You don't need to wait. If it really bothers you that much feel free to try and get the law changed.

  10. #1090
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,806

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    You don't need to wait. If it really bothers you that much feel free to try and get the law changed.
    I actually think it's none of my business, and can't see the upside in denying the right to marry to any couple wanting to make a commitment through marriage to each other. I've tried to see how SSM would negatively affect my marriage of 23 years last week, and can't come up with a thing. People making a commitment, stable relationships, fidelity, legal certainty, parental rights for couples with children - what part of that does society not want more of?

    FRC and like groups might serve the institution of marriage a little better by focusing on the log in the eye of straight married couples, now failing at record rates, with more and more straight couples skipping it altogether.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •