Page 107 of 110 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1094

Thread: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

  1. #1061
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,878

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    The fact that some of you cannot tolerate a view that traditional marriage, which has served mankind very well for thousands of years, should be redefined all of a sudden to incorporate two new "alternative lifestyle" models is "bigotry".
    How are we not tolerating 'traditional' marriage?

    People can still get married as 'traditionally' as they want.

    How is marriage changed for straight couples?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #1062
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    How are we not tolerating 'traditional' marriage?

    People can still get married as 'traditionally' as they want.

    How is marriage changed for straight couples?
    I would suggest you take a remedial reading comprehension class.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  3. #1063
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,084

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I would suggest you take a remedial reading comprehension class.
    yes you would but would you also answer the questions?

  4. #1064
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    yes you would but would you also answer the questions?
    No, I don't feel compelled to answer questions that insinuate I said something I didn't.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  5. #1065
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,878

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull

    The fact that some of you cannot tolerate a view that traditional marriage, which has served mankind very well for thousands of years, should be redefined all of a sudden to incorporate two new "alternative lifestyle" models is "bigotry".
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    How are we not tolerating 'traditional' marriage?

    People can still get married as 'traditionally' as they want.

    How is marriage changed for straight couples?
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I would suggest you take a remedial reading comprehension class.
    Which part of the words you wrote did I not comprehend properly? I addressed the bold.

    Did I need to add the word 'definition'? How does that change my question? How does redefining to include same sex couples show intolerance of your view of 'traditional?'
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #1066
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Which part of the words you wrote did I not comprehend properly? I addressed the bold.
    You just think about it really hard. I didn't say anything about toleration of traditional marriage. Seriously. Read all the words I wrote and think really hard about what they say and resist the urge to make it up as you go along however it suits you and maybe you can get this. Go ahead. Try it. I know you can do this.

    Here, I'll help with a little sentence diagram exercise for you since you're having such a challenge.

    The fact that some of you cannot tolerate a view that traditional marriage, which has served mankind very well for thousands of years, should be redefined all of a sudden to incorporate two new "alternative lifestyle" models is "bigotry".
    Try to focus on the underlined words.
    Last edited by Papa bull; 10-21-14 at 01:22 PM.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  7. #1067
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,084

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    You just think about it really hard. I didn't say anything about toleration of traditional marriage. Seriously. Read all the words I wrote and think really hard about what they say and resist the urge to make it up as you go along however it suits you and maybe you can get this. Go ahead. Try it. I know you can do this.

    Here, I'll help with a little sentence diagram exercise for you since you're having such a challenge.



    Try to focus on the underlined words.
    hate to say it but your right my mistake

  8. #1068
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,798

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    And another said that it would be a bad idea for them to step in, anyway, because it's something the states need to deal with at the legislative level. And yet another said that with homosexual marriage being such a new concept, it cannot be assumed that those rejecting it are doing so out of bigotry.
    That's a fair point, it shouldn't be assumed that people opposing something have bad motives. But the courts have invited opposition to SSM to testify about their reasons, and those opposed repeatedly come up short and essentially can't articulate reasons to oppose SSM that don't fall back on some notion of traditional values, religion, or bigotry.

    Here's Scalia: [The court] "has largely signed on to the so-called homosexual agenda, by which I mean the agenda promoted by some homosexual activists directed at eliminating the moral opprobrium that has traditionally attached to homosexual conduct." His view is clear enough - laws against homosexuality are fine because society has a right to attach moral opprobrium (bigotry, in formal legalese) against homosexuality.

  9. #1069
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    hate to say it but your right my mistake
    My estimation of you just went up 10 points.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  10. #1070
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    That's a fair point, it shouldn't be assumed that people opposing something have bad motives. But the courts have invited opposition to SSM to testify about their reasons, and those opposed repeatedly come up short and essentially can't articulate reasons to oppose SSM that don't fall back on some notion of traditional values, religion, or bigotry.

    Here's Scalia: [The court] "has largely signed on to the so-called homosexual agenda, by which I mean the agenda promoted by some homosexual activists directed at eliminating the moral opprobrium that has traditionally attached to homosexual conduct." His view is clear enough - laws against homosexuality are fine because society has a right to attach moral opprobrium (bigotry, in formal legalese) against homosexuality.
    Male/male and female/female pairings make absolutely no sense whatsoever from any natural perspective and they weren't what the institution of marriage was designed to support. I get that it helps people argue that "homosexuality is just the new normal" if society agrees to treat homosexual unions exactly the same as heterosexual unions but I think that's society's decision to make if they want to do that and not the decision of a vocal minority group that wants to "normalize" their sexual proclivity.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •