Page 104 of 110 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1094

Thread: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

  1. #1031
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I disagree and so do a number of the supreme court justices. That's why homosexual marriage is still not legal in most of the United States.
    Correction: a minority of the United States. 31 states currently legal with 7 more on the way in the immediate future (you may recognize a state in yellow very familiar to you in the map below). And it's obvious you disagree, but this doesn't translate into successful arguments before a court. You need to come up with something new. Simply repeating the old, failed ones isn't doing anything for your side.

    Recognition_of_same-sex_unions_in_the_United_States.jpg
    ssmkey.jpg
    Last edited by Cardinal; 10-19-14 at 02:30 PM.

  2. #1032
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Seriously, PapaBull, if you're going to hold a staunch position in a debate at least know the basic facts surrounding the discussion. Being rigidly against ssm and not even being aware, even in a general sense, of how many states currently have legal ssm, is just sort of...bizarre.

  3. #1033
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,133

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    You are mistaken. It's not a judgement of good or bad. It's a judgement of purpose and there is no purpose for society to sanction homosexual pairings.
    ROFL. You just confirmed my argument. I am guessing you did not read past the first paragraph.

    Purposes for same-sex marriage in society...
    1. Providing stable, two parent homes for children raised by same-sex couples.
    2. Encouraging monogamous sexual behavior and thereby reducing sexually transmitted diseases.
    3. Increasing the physical, emotional, and mental health of gay and lesbian persons and reducing.health costs to society.
    4. Broadening familial social support for when gays and lesbians age.

    I could go on, but what you really meant is that same-sex marriage does not serve the religious purpose you envision for marriage.

  4. #1034
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    ROFL. You just confirmed my argument. I am guessing you did not read past the first paragraph.

    Purposes for same-sex marriage in society...
    1. Providing stable, two parent homes for children raised by same-sex couples.
    2. Encouraging monogamous sexual behavior and thereby reducing sexually transmitted diseases.
    3. Increasing the physical, emotional, and mental health of gay and lesbian persons and reducing.health costs to society.
    4. Broadening familial social support for when gays and lesbians age.

    I could go on, but what you really meant is that same-sex marriage does not serve the religious purpose you envision for marriage.
    See, where you and me go off in very different directions is that you think what YOUR opinion about the benefits to society are should trump what SOCIETY's opinion. Society is able to make the determination for itself much better than you can make the determination for it.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  5. #1035
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    See, where you and me go off in very different directions is that you think what YOUR opinion about the benefits to society are should trump what SOCIETY's opinion. Society is able to make the determination for itself much better than you can make the determination for it.
    And "society" (in the form of 55% of the country, and 80% of young adults) approves of same sex marriage.

    Again, Papabull, know your basic background facts if you're going to hold a staunch position in a debate. Otherwise you may start to give the impression that you're making everything up as you go.

  6. #1036
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    And "society" (in the form of 55% of the country, and 80% of young adults) approves of same sex marriage.

    Again, Papabull, know your basic background facts if you're going to hold a staunch position in a debate. Otherwise you may start to give the impression that you're making everything up as you go.
    Whoops! Looks like I could stand to take my own advice: the number of 55% is a bit old and that number is actually 56%.

    A majority of Americans support the Supreme Court’s decision to allow gay marriage to proceed in multiple states, a new poll says.

    According to an ABC News/Washington Post poll released Friday, 56 percent of Americans support the court’s decision earlier this month, compared with 38 percent who oppose it.
    Poll: Majority support SCOTUS gay marriage decision - Jonathan Topaz - POLITICO.com

  7. #1037
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,108

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    See, where you and me go off in very different directions is that you think what YOUR opinion about the benefits to society are should trump what SOCIETY's opinion. Society is able to make the determination for itself much better than you can make the determination for it.


    It's a judgment of purpose and there is no purpose for society to sanction homosexual pairings.

    that seems to be false you seem to be ignoring it

  8. #1038
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,133

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    See, where you and me go off in very different directions is that you think what YOUR opinion about the benefits to society are should trump what SOCIETY's opinion. Society is able to make the determination for itself much better than you can make the determination for it.
    Appeal to the majority. Another logical fallacy. At one point of time a majority of society thought the earth was flat and circled by the sun. At one point in time a majority in society thought that slavery was a good idea. At one point in time a majority of society thought interracial marriage bans were good. A majority in society does not truly dictate whether something is good or bad. That said, 54% of the country now supports same-sex marriage. That does not in itself mean same-sex marriage is right or wrong.

  9. #1039
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Appeal to the majority. Another logical fallacy.
    And not even an accurate appeal to the majority, at that.

  10. #1040
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    And not even an accurate appeal to the majority, at that.
    Since marriage is an institution created by man and defined by man, what men think matters in ways that it wouldn't over simple assertions of fact. What most people consider marriage to be is what marriage actually is or at least should be since this is a democracy and marriage is a matter of democratic law. If the majority think homosexual marriage is something the state should sanction, the legislature should take that into consideration in their law governing marriage and it's definition. And vice versa.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •