Page 103 of 110 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1094

Thread: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

  1. #1021
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,967

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Because homosexual marriage is an oxymoron. I thought we covered that already.
    Demonstrably false in 31 states.

  2. #1022
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,079

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    You have a right to your opinion no matter how ridiculous it is. Cheers.
    seems to be fact going by the definitions of the words

    but maybe its not so why is me that's ridiculous and not you?

  3. #1023
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,079

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Demonstrably false in 35 states.
    iv got another one same sex 2 gender marriage

    I am the moron king!

    ....aww shoot

  4. #1024
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,967

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    iv got another one same sex 2 gender marriage

    I am the moron king!

    ....aww shoot
    Um...what?

  5. #1025
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,079

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Um...what?
    well same sex marriage is not an oxymoron

    so I have decided to come up with some actual marriage related oxymoron's

    so far iv got single marriage and same sex opposite sex marriage(between 2 people).....though I guess the last one might need work if you had a group marriage of a certain kind

  6. #1026
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    It's not about religion for me. It's about recognizing that male female bonded pairs are what nature intended and I don't see any purpose to sanction unnatural relationships. We could quibble for pages now about what's "natural", but I think it's plenty clear enough.
    Actually you just lost from a debate perspective. You just used what is called an "appeal to nature" which is a logical fallacy where you argue something is good or bad based on just whether it is natural. Cars and computers are not natural but are neither good or bad based on that state. Cannibalism, war, and rape exist in nature but are not good because they are natural. Same-sex pair bondings do exist in various species in nature but that does not mean same sex marriage is good or bad.

    What you really wanted to do was use a teleological definition of "nature" which Paul used to argue that God designed the world where all things serve a purpose and anything outside that design is immoral, sinful, and wrong. But that argument is theological in nature, and the very reason you do not want to discuss the definition of natural. You need to be honest with yourself and acknowledge your feelings on this topic are entirely religious and not based on secular logic. There is nothing wrong or diminishing about having religious objections to same-sex marriage. All it means is you cannot impose those views without being theocratic.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 10-19-14 at 01:52 PM.

  7. #1027
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Actually you just lost from a debate perspective. You just used what is called an "appeal to nature" which is a logical fallacy where you argue something is good or bad based on just whether it is natural. Cars and computers are not natural but are neither good or bad based on that state. Cannibalism, war, and rape exist in nature but are not good because they are natural. Same-sex pair bondings do exist in various species in nature but that does not mean same sex marriage is good or bad.

    What you really wanted to do was use a teleological definition of "nature" which Paul used to argue that God designed the world where all things serve a purpose and anything outside that design is immoral, sinful, and wrong. But that argument is theological in nature, and the very reason you do not want to discuss the definition of natural. You need to be honest with yourself and acknowledge your feelings on this topic are entirely religious and not based on secular logic. There is nothing wrong or diminishing about having religious objections to same-sex marriage. All it means is you cannot impose those views without being theocratic.
    You are mistaken. It's not a judgement of good or bad. It's a judgement of purpose and there is no purpose for society to sanction homosexual pairings.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  8. #1028
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,967

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    You are mistaken. It's not a judgement of good or bad. It's a judgement of purpose and there is no purpose for society to sanction homosexual pairings.
    You actually need to show a state interest in preventing it. This has never been demonstrated and is one of the main reasons anti-ssm arguments fail repeatedly in courts. That's actually what I meant earlier when I told you that all your arguments have failed -- they have all failed in arguments in Federal courts -- and why I asked if you had anything new to present. The repeated and failed arguments aren't getting you anywhere.

  9. #1029
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,079

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    You are mistaken. It's not a judgement of good or bad. It's a judgement of purpose and there is no purpose for society to sanction homosexual pairings.
    maintain equal rights

    giving benefits to family's

  10. #1030
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    You actually need to show a state interest in preventing it. This has never been demonstrated and is one of the main reasons anti-ssm arguments fail repeatedly in courts. That's actually what I meant earlier when I told you that all your arguments have failed -- they have all failed in arguments in Federal courts -- and why I asked if you had anything new to present. The repeated and failed arguments aren't getting you anywhere.
    I disagree and so do a number of the supreme court justices. That's why homosexual marriage is still not legal in most of the United States.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •