Page 102 of 110 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1094

Thread: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

  1. #1011
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,930

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    That's because it's not about gender. It doesn't have to "meet the test".
    That argument has failed repeatedly. In fact, all arguments put forth by those who are in opposition to ssm have failed. Do you have anything new to use?

  2. #1012
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,116

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    This hasn't got anything to do with how I view homosexuality. It has to do with how I see marriage and what marriage actually is. Love and commitment are one thing - marriage is another thing. They're not even necessarily related and people can have all the love and commitment they want without being married. And some marriages are entered into without love and maybe not even commitment nor is marriage actually a guarantee of either love or commitment. The fact that marriage is an institution comprised of one consenting member of each sex does not keep homosexuals from living together and loving together in a committed relationship if that's what they want to do. It just means that they aren't husband and wife, which wouldn't make sense, anyway.
    And this is why your side has been losing. You fundamentally reduce marriage to the genitals of the couple. I am still trying to sort out why you folks feel it is the State's business to enforce traditional gender norms. When pressed on it, traditional marriage supporters tend to use vague spiritual and religious terminology to argue inherent differences between the sexes that necessitates a complementary union. However, imposing a particular religious view and denying rights to couples on the basis of just their sex does not serve any rational or legitimate purpose which justifies the state enforcing discrimination.

    Why not just argue your religious views prohibit you from recognizing same-sex unions as marriage? That seems like a more honest and respectable position than going out of your way to demean gay relationships and argue an absolutist definition of marriage that few Christians even support. Divorcing love and commitment from the definition of marriage does not seem like a position most Christians I know would take. Could you explain how your position on same-sex marriage is not theocratic?
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 10-18-14 at 06:37 PM.

  3. #1013
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    And this is why your side has been losing. You fundamentally reduce marriage to the genitals of the couple. I am still trying to sort out why you folks feel it is the State's business to enforce traditional gender norms. When pressed on it, traditional marriage supporters tend to use vague spiritual and religious terminology to argue inherent differences between the sexes that necessitates a complementary union. However, imposing a particular religious view and denying rights to couples on the basis of just their sex does not serve any rational or legitimate purpose which justifies the state enforcing discrimination.

    Why not just argue your religious views prohibit you from recognizing same-sex unions as marriage? That seems like a more honest and respectable position than going out of your way to demean gay relationships and argue an absolutist definition of marriage that few Christians even support. Divorcing love and commitment from the definition of marriage does not seem like a position most Christians I know would take. Could you explain how your position on same-sex marriage is not theocratic?
    It's not about religion for me. It's about recognizing that male female bonded pairs are what nature intended and I don't see any purpose to sanction unnatural relationships. We could quibble for pages now about what's "natural", but I think it's plenty clear enough.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  4. #1014
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,078

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    It's not about religion for me. It's about recognizing that male female bonded pairs are what nature intended and I don't see any purpose to sanction unnatural relationships. We could quibble for pages now about what's "natural", but I think it's plenty clear enough.
    nature doesn't intend anything mostly if seems to throw things against a wall and some stuff stick's for a while

    marriage is are construct and around hear the genitals don't have any requirements other then you wanting a full set

    but treating peapole equally under the law is also a local construct about the laws that we make up

    also both homosexuality and hetero sexuality are natural deal with it

    also nature is not good or evil desirable or undesirable deal with it

  5. #1015
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    nature doesn't intend anything mostly if seems to throw things against a wall and some stuff stick's for a while

    marriage is are construct and around hear the genitals don't have any requirements other then you wanting a full set

    but treating peapole equally under the law is also a local construct about the laws that we make up

    also both homosexuality and hetero sexuality are natural deal with it

    also nature is not good or evil desirable or undesirable deal with it
    All nature seems stuck on this whole gender role thing. In nature the only bonded pairs that mate for life and raise offspring are pairs that consist of one male joined with one female. That's one of those things that "stuck" against the wall.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  6. #1016
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,078

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    All nature seems stuck on this whole gender role thing. In nature the only bonded pairs that mate for life and raise offspring are pairs that consist of one male joined with one female. That's one of those things that "stuck" against the wall.
    except for with humans at the very least know same sex pars in animals will raise young some times

    since marriage doesn't require you to stay together for life or to have kids or to be able to have kids and gay couples do raise kids some times and do stay together for life some times and the kids are r related to 1 of the parent some times( just like with hetero sexual marriages )

    why no gay marriage?

  7. #1017
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    except for with humans at the very least know same sex pars in animals will raise young some times

    since marriage doesn't require you to stay together for life or to have kids or to be able to have kids and gay couples do raise kids some times and do stay together for life some times and the kids are r related to 1 of the parent some times( just like with hetero sexual marriages )

    why no gay marriage?
    Because homosexual marriage is an oxymoron. I thought we covered that already.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  8. #1018
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,078

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Because homosexual marriage is an oxymoron. I thought we covered that already.
    we did its not

    I gave you an actual oxymoron to play with even

  9. #1019
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,078

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    now lets see



    mar-riage




    [mar-ij] Spell Syllables

    Examples
    Word Origin


    noun
    1.
    (broadly) any of the diverse forms of interpersonal union established in various parts of the world to form a familial bond that is recognized legally, religiously, or socially, granting the participating partners mutual conjugal rights and responsibilities and including, for example, opposite-sex marriage, same-sex marriage, plural marriage, and arranged marriage:


    ok now




    ox-y-mo-ron




    [ok-si-mawr-on, -mohr-] Spell Syllables

    Examples
    Word Origin


    noun, plural oxymora

    [ok-si-mawr-uh, -mohr-uh] (Show IPA), oxymorons. Rhetoric
    1.
    a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect, as in “cruel kindness” or “to make haste slowly.”.


    ok then


    well it seems same sex marriage is not a contradiction to the diverse forms of interpersonal union established in various parts of the world to form a familial bond that is recognized legally, religiously, or socially, granting the participating partners mutual conjugal rights and responsibilities
    Yo!...

  10. #1020
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: South Carolina Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    Yo!...
    You have a right to your opinion no matter how ridiculous it is. Cheers.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •