Page 14 of 124 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 1237

Thread: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers[W:702:1041]

  1. #131
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,800
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Except, of course, that the reason the employer does all of these things is because of the union. No union and all industry becomes like a giant Walmart store, where employees are screwed at every opportunity, because the employer knows that if one guy thinks he isn't being treated fairly, they can always find somebody else. I understand this philosophy has great appeal for the Far Right, who have never given a damn about working stiffs.
    More ridiculous hyperbole. One of these days a poster will come along who is left of center that can make a salient point. Until then we are stuck with posts like this.
    Welfare (Food Stamps, WIC, etc...) are not entitlements. They are taxpayer funded handouts and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veteran's benefits are 'Entitlements' because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.

  2. #132
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,989

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Because I would know who I could trust and who I could count on. And who would have my back. Do I want to treat them differently because they are screwing me? You bet your ass.
    So you would only treat them differently in terms of how you trust them? Or would you actually be treating them different in how you speak to them, act towards them, etc?

  3. #133
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Then don't take a job with a union shop. The workers at that business made sacrifices and worked hard to get that union, a contract and its benefits and if you aren't willing to pay for your share for the benefits that resulted from their efforts you are a freeloader.
    Fair point but sometimes there's no other choice but to take the scab job.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #134
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Well I think immedietely jumping to initimidation is a stretch.

    But would you not agree d0gbreath that a concerted effort by multiple union members to continually pressure them about the benefits of being part of a union would concievably be "unwanted" pressure for someone whose expressed their desire NOT to be part of the union, and thus could reasonable be considered an organized effort of harassment?

    I don't think it's a stretch to state that someone whose expressed a desire to NOT be part of the union has no desire to hear about the importance of "solidarity" with said union.
    You speak much truth.

    Still, a person needs to stand up for what they believe in. Telling the union guys to knock it off (with conviction) isn't as hard as it sounds.

  5. #135
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Which I've stated multiple times may very well be the case in most instances But that's irrelevant to the point of who PROVIDES those things. [...]
    "Distinction without a difference

    A distinction without a difference is a type of logical fallacy where an author or speaker attempts to describe a distinction between two things even though there is, in fact, no actual difference.[1] It is particularly used when a word or phrase has connotations associated with it that one party to an argument prefers to avoid."

    Distinction without a difference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Isn't posting scabs names, addresses and phone numbers implying a threat when a strike is occurring? It's to convince the scab to not cross the picket line and in order to achieve that goal doesn't there have to be some implied threat or retaliation for such an act? Telling union members what address to go to is a clear implied threat, no?
    It is not a threat of anything but being criticized, shunned and embarrassed. Most other activities against a scab would be illegal.

    Home addresses were not listed.

  7. #137
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Thanks. So they publish the name so the other workers can pressure them.

    I've never worked in a union shop so I have no idea what it's like. I do work for a very large corporation as a middle-tier manager and I'd be pretty bull**** if senior management or anyone else published my name with the instructions to my co-workers to encourage me to do something that I, as a grown up, could decide to do on my own. JMO.
    You'd be pretty what? lolz

    Then you would be grown up enough to tell them to stop pressuring you (with conviction).

  8. #138
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Isn't posting scabs names, addresses and phone numbers implying a threat when a strike is occurring? It's to convince the scab to not cross the picket line and in order to achieve that goal doesn't there have to be some implied threat or retaliation for such an act? Telling union members what address to go to is a clear implied threat, no?
    None of that is the case with regards to the issue posted in the OP.

    In fact you have provided no evidence showing that what you hypothesize above has ever happened anywhere, at least as far as union-sponsored activity is concerned. Creating stuff out of thin air is called a strawman, and is an invalid form of debate (and, as such, is a failure).

  9. #139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Fair point but sometimes there's no other choice but to take the scab job.
    I feel bad about people who are so desperately poor that they would take a scab job despite their own ethics. That is why I would never support doing anything more than criticizing, shunning or embarrassing them. Unfortunately, too many working people these days are not sufficiently familiar with history, the concept of worker solidarity and the importance of unions that there are far too many people willing to stab their fellow workers in the back by being a scab.

  10. #140
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,217

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers

    Quote Originally Posted by d0gbreath View Post
    You'd be pretty what? lolz

    Then you would be grown up enough to tell them to stop pressuring you (with conviction).
    Can't bypass the censor, use your imagination.

    I would. But when would it stop? It doesn't seem right to have people be subjected to this. JMO.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •