Page 116 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1237

Thread: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers[W:702:1041]

  1. #1151
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,942

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers[W:702:1041]

    public teachers have a tough gig.....i think most people get and understand that fact

    lots of problems with the system....and with the schools being used as babysitters, not places of education

    they get average pay.....and have little support in a lot of places

    that said....there needs to be changes.....bad teachers have to go....period

    i would have zero issue giving teachers a 25% across the board raise if they would stop protecting bad tenured teachers

    i also want the administrative staffs cut.....and the schools to get back to the basics

    there is absolutely no reason why schools cant teach music, art, history, math, and science to our kids....yet they fail miserably in a lot of cases

    we have to get ahold of this issue.....
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  2. #1152
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,270

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers[W:702:1041]

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Outlawing tenure would not make any measurable difference, it is merely a wedge issue to disempower unions and get the corporatist right one step closer to their goal -- the complete and total elimination of unions. If you were to outlaw tenure, they would suddenly 'expose' yet another issue that is suddenly a 'travesty' in the teachers union which is destroying the education of 'our children'
    My biggest gripe is tenure. Corporatist blah blah blah aside...it should be legal to fire someone who does a crappy job. Any argument to the contrary is insane and in favor of lazy workers keeping their job.

    Disliking crappy lazy workers being protected isn't a right or left thing. It is about giving a job to those who DESERVE the job thing.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  3. #1153
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,270

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers[W:702:1041]

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    public teachers have a tough gig.....i think most people get and understand that fact

    lots of problems with the system....and with the schools being used as babysitters, not places of education

    they get average pay.....and have little support in a lot of places

    that said....there needs to be changes.....bad teachers have to go....period

    i would have zero issue giving teachers a 25% across the board raise if they would stop protecting bad tenured teachers

    i also want the administrative staffs cut.....and the schools to get back to the basics

    there is absolutely no reason why schools cant teach music, art, history, math, and science to our kids....yet they fail miserably in a lot of cases

    we have to get ahold of this issue.....
    Bingo!!! Right now you have people going to school and getting master's degrees to become educators. They are turning education into a REAL science. I have personally taught and gone through some of these classes. A lot of these teachers deserve a quality pay check. Especially in a public school environment.

    But I flatly refuse to support their union. All because they refuse to get rid of tenure. Tenure is a joke. It has SOME merit (protecting someone who shares their views...but that can be done legally without a union). But now it protects bad educators. Sad.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  4. #1154
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers[W:702:1041]

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    My biggest gripe is tenure. Corporatist blah blah blah aside...it should be legal to fire someone who does a crappy job. Any argument to the contrary is insane and in favor of lazy workers keeping their job. Disliking crappy lazy workers being protected isn't a right or left thing. It is about giving a job to those who DESERVE the job thing.
    First, it is legal to fire a teacher. Your own link a few posts back showed that teachers are indeed fired. The writer of that article was simply unhappy that not enough of them had been fired (in his opinion, which he really did not substantiate). So your argument is a strawman.

    Got anything logical/rational, or is that it?

  5. #1155
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers[W:702:1041]

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    [...] But I flatly refuse to support their union. All because they refuse to get rid of tenure. [...]
    As I noted earlier, I strongly suspect that if tenure was eliminated the right would find another reason to oppose teachers unions (and all unions). At the end of the day, tenure -- like the union -- helps prevents the employer from abusing/intimidating the employee; it appears the right doesn't like that.

    Is tenure abused? At times, probably so.

    If tenure were eliminated, would that allow employers to abuse teachers? At times, probably so.

    So, six of one, half of dozen of the other. At the end of the day, who are you going to side with -- the employee or the employer? When it comes to Republicans, we already have the answer, which explains their efforts to bust unions -- to reduce support for the Democrat politicians who tend to take the side of the employee over the employer.

  6. #1156
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers[W:702:1041]

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    [...] [Tenure] has SOME merit (protecting someone who shares their views...but that can be done legally without a union). [...]
    How ?

  7. #1157
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,847

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    LOL

    Because you say so? Your obsession is noted. However, facts aren't impressed by your claim. While I'm not trying to defend anything ALEC does, ALEC pales in the light of the breadth and reach of the Progressive Machine.
    Yeah... no. ALEC owns your state government and is now working to own your local government as well.


    Conservative group Alec trains sights on city and local government

    • American Legislative Exchange Council forms new initiative
    • Offshoot will target ‘villages, towns, cities and counties’


    You point to money in elections which the right wing owns far and away beyond the left... you don't even look at the fact that ALEC is busy between elections writing bills and handing it to their stooges who then just submit them without even reading them.

    These are the facts. Ignore them if you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  8. #1158
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,847

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    unions are dinosaurs whose power is gradually being destroyed by global labor markets. Only in captive industries such as government workers, will the Unions survive and unions should be banned in the public sector since oftentimes those negotiating "against" the Union are beholden to the Union for their office
    Unions are dinosaurs in the "global economy" which is just a term that politicians use to say "I can't do anything for us our our economy because my hands are tied by the global economy" as they cast their votes for free trade agreements that have us competing with child, prison and slave labor in other countries. Free trade is a farce that killed unions and our middle class. And gutless politicians on both sides can own that burden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  9. #1159
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,847

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you deny that public sector unions don't drive up the costs to taxpayers. what about crap like Davis-Bacon or union controlled municipalities that have "prevailing wage" requirements in their contracts?
    The unions do push up wages for workers, but market pressures push back at pricing hikes. So to make the one on one comparison that wage hikes = price hikes while ignoring all other pressures on costs and prices isn't accurate. It's not just wages that effect prices. I'll say that wages CAN push prices up but not that it WILL push up prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  10. #1160
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,592

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Unions are dinosaurs in the "global economy" which is just a term that politicians use to say "I can't do anything for us our our economy because my hands are tied by the global economy" as they cast their votes for free trade agreements that have us competing with child, prison and slave labor in other countries. Free trade is a farce that killed unions and our middle class. And gutless politicians on both sides can own that burden.
    I need a good chuckle-what is your solution?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •