Page 113 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1237

Thread: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers[W:702:1041]

  1. #1121
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers[W:702:1041]

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    What do you mean "private employers can't do that?" Can't do what? Of course they can. For one thing, at-will employment, for anything thing, basic personnel policies can set their own progressive disciplinary policies as well as list grounds for immediate termination.

    If employment law fully protected bad non-union employees the same as union employees, then what purpose would the unions serve?

    The left wing is fundamentally nonsensical when it comes to unions. Most of the time the left wing bleats about the plight of the unemployed, how they just can't catch a break and struggle so mightily to get by, but then they support unions, which seek at every opportunity to make it impossible for these unemployed to compete with their workers. One moment the left wing wants to accommodate the unemployed and underemployed, and the next moment the left wing is a champion of the unions who do everything in their power to suppress the unemployed and underemployed.

    Unions are simply labor cartels that buy politicians and legal protections that allow them to legally and artificially constrict the supply of labor in a certain firm or industry in order to drive up its price. Unions insulate their own members from any competition from those with whom they (the workers) would otherwise have to compete in terms of wage or job performance. Unions are anti-competition and this screws over the un- and under-employed.
    Private companies can't disclose why a person was dismissed. Your last part about competing in terms of wages and/or job performance is nonsense. The motive is to fill a spot with the cheapest price available. Churning and burning teachers is detrimental to any school system. The motive should be to retain good teachers not chase them away.

  2. #1122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 06:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    32

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers[W:702:1041]

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Private companies can't disclose why a person was dismissed. Your last part about competing in terms of wages and/or job performance is nonsense. The motive is to fill a spot with the cheapest price available. Churning and burning teachers is detrimental to any school system. The motive should be to retain good teachers not chase them away.
    Not to derail the discussion, but you seem to be claiming there is a law which prevents companies from disclosing why a former employee was dismissed. Legally, employers are allowed to say just about whatever they want to a prospective employer. However, I get the spirit of what you are saying. It is pretty close to the reason that companies also don't publish list of private information like addresses, phone numbers and who or who not donated to the causes the company favors either. Or in this case, why certain unions should not be publishing the names of non dues paying members. Because any mook or bad actor with a search engine, or paid subscription to any number of online data mining services can use said info for less than honorable purposes.

    You might want to amend your understanding of this part of your argument, as it is erroneous.

  3. #1123
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers

    Quote Originally Posted by Great King Rat View Post
    Fact is that I did not make that claim. I did speak about the reality that in 2014 the publication of the information in question, in a information age? Can and will be used by bad actors, this is why said is no longer acceptable. You don't like my comparison that responsible businesses in the real world realize that private info (like who and who is not a dues payer) can be used by bad actors for obvious purposes? No surprise there, as your "awareness" of what I have said in this thread is likely muted owing to that WiFi signal under the aforementioned bridge. Which also lead you to make the mistake of thinking that this is all about my "awareness" in the first place. That would seem to be an ad hom approach to the topic, I know what to do about that weak chaff.
    IOW, your defense is that your post was dishonest, not ignorant. You know that the union didn't print any addresses or phones #'s but you talked about that even though you know it has nothing to do with what this union did.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #1124
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers[W:702:1041]

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Private companies can't disclose why a person was dismissed.
    Why not? Cite what law disallows companies from disclosing that a person was terminated and/or why.

    Your last part about competing in terms of wages and/or job performance is nonsense. The motive is to fill a spot with the cheapest price available.
    "The" motive? I'm sure some have that motive, others have a motive to fill the spot with the absolute best candidate within a price range of $______ to $______. Unions seek to insulate their members from having to compete on any grounds with others who could fill that job and do it better and/or cheaper.

    The motive should be to retain good teachers not chase them away.
    Unions have a motive to retain all member teachers, good, bad or terrible, doing all they can to prevent even seriously unfit teachers from being ultimately forced out of the profession. How is that good for students that unfit teachers would be so strongly defended and kept in the profession?
    Last edited by Neomalthusian; 10-14-14 at 02:02 AM.

  5. #1125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 06:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    32

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    IOW, your defense is that your post was dishonest, not ignorant. You know that the union didn't print any addresses or phones #'s but you talked about that even though you know it has nothing to do with what this union did.
    In a word? No. And my other posts in this thread clarify my initial comments. But then again, when one habitually uses a WiFi hotspot (even with an airport booster) from under a bridge? The most simplistic and obvious of facts can elude them.

  6. #1126
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers

    Quote Originally Posted by Great King Rat View Post
    In a word no. And my other posts in this thread clarify my initial comments. But then again, when one habitually uses a WiFi hotspot (even with an airport booster) from under a bridge? The most simplistic and obvious of facts can elude them.
    Yes, your posts do clarify that you are dishonestly claiming that the union is putting people in danger because of what some unnamed "bad actors" might possibly do.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #1127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 06:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    32

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Yes, your posts do clarify that you are dishonestly claiming that the union is putting people in danger because of what some unnamed "bad actors" might possibly do.
    No, actually they don't if one is not dishonest. Is that also an issue from down under?

  8. #1128
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:07 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,680

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yes, freedom of association works both ways, however, when it comes to setting a standard for a skill and keeping that standard, the all in policy not only creates a healthier environment but is but demonstrates a consistency that keeps management from pitting one against the other; which management always has done and brings about a reason for collective bargaining in and of itself.
    evidently you don't think so. if the company isn't run right or treat it's employee's correctly then they leave for better positions elsewhere and the company goes under as it loses all it's talent.

    That – makes no sense. Can you do that again?
    actually it makes perfect sense.

    Again: how can a union make it worse for you in the long run? I retired at 50 because of my union. And having no problem with unions is a good thing. I have no problem with non union shops: if that’s what they want, good for them. I have problems with unfair tactics like right to work: eventually, and as we have seen over the years as unions have declined, the non union shop has no ability whatsoever to better their condition, avoid discrimination politics in the workplace or plan a future that they can really depend on, as has been seen by several collapses of 401k plans over the years: my ex-mother in law lost everything when her airline employer went through a collapse.
    yeah and i know non-union people that retired earlier what is your point exactly? i know union guys that retire later along with non-union guys. who cares if you retired at 50.
    unions have declined because of themselves. companies have improved working conditions and other things to the point that people feel a union won't get them anything.
    you are wrong. people have the right to work and not have to join a union. the union doesn't own the job the company does.

    sure they do. if working conditions violate laws they can file legal disputes and other measure to improve working conditions. if the working conditions are that bad then they leave for some where better. maybe she should have invested in something other than the airline she worked for. i don't own company stock in my company. i have it diversely invested over multiple sectors so that type of thing doesn't happen.

    And “unions” don’t create a hostile working environment: employees create their own conditions of cohesion. And nobody can guarantee anything, so I don’t know what your point is there.
    tell that to the union issue in this thread. yes the union does create hostile work enviroments. posting legit workers names and where they work is intimidation at least.
    there is a group of ironworkers i think in PA that are currently under arrest along with their union boss for all sorts of charges from threats to vandalism intimidation etc ...

    10 leaders of Ironworkers Local 401 charged in racketeering indictment - Philly.com
    they had a good acronym THUGS.

    hmm according to you unions don't do this WRONG.

    As far as what non union auto workers are making; again you missed the side of the barn with the cannon you’re holding: do you think that the UAW and other unions had just a little bit to do with that?
    these places offered the going rate of labor. more so they wanted to offer their workers enough incentive so as to not unionize.
    which they have been successful with.

    if they did unionize they would lose money not gain anything.

  9. #1129
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers

    Quote Originally Posted by Great King Rat View Post
    No, actually they don't if one is not dishonest. Is that also an issue from down under?
    You should come up with something new. "nuh-uh" and "You're a troll" get pretty old, pretty fast
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #1130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 06:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    32

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    You should come up with something new. "nuh-uh" and "You're a troll" get pretty old, pretty fast
    You should come up with a link and a quotation of mine that supports your "awareness" of my comments. Use those lens wipes I mentioned yesterday before you do though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •