Page 108 of 124 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1237

Thread: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers[W:702:1041]

  1. #1071
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 06:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    32

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers[W:702:1041]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    It's organized crime. As others have mentioned, it certainly served it's purpose in the past but now they are a hindrance to free speech, free association, and the democratic process.
    While I agree with many of those sentiments, let's not lump ALL unions together with the most obvious and historically documented ones that deserve derision and serious dismantling. I saw the Teamsters were mentioned earlier in the thread. Given their history, your description certainly is fitting with regard to them IMO.

  2. #1072
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,305

    ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers[W:702:1041]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    It's organized crime. As others have mentioned, it certainly served it's purpose in the past but now they are a hindrance to free speech, free association, and the democratic process.
    I think a good example and one of the greatest travesties is the teacher's union. It is a detriment to the education system. It protects bad teachers, bargains for more pay, and all the while is inconsiderate of student needs. And that isn't to say all members of the teachers' union are bad either. A lot want what is best for their kids. They just don't see the detriment they cause with the union.

    Honestly one of my biggest problems with unions is that they protect the lazy and stupid. And most who support them don't realize it. They are looking out for themselves and not the good of people outside the union.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  3. #1073
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,632

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    riiight. In the face of republican corporate butt buddies boldy saying how they want to abolish minimum wage and overtime and the like... I'd say we need unions pretty badly.
    unions are dinosaurs whose power is gradually being destroyed by global labor markets. Only in captive industries such as government workers, will the Unions survive and unions should be banned in the public sector since oftentimes those negotiating "against" the Union are beholden to the Union for their office



  4. #1074
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,632

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    right wing lie #1



    right wing lie #2



    Except, adjusted for inflation, middle class income has collapsed with the unions' collapse... go figure.



    right wing lie #3



    add in some right wing bs propaganda flair for effect... aaaaannnnnnd scene!
    you deny that public sector unions don't drive up the costs to taxpayers. what about crap like Davis-Bacon or union controlled municipalities that have "prevailing wage" requirements in their contracts?



  5. #1075
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers[W:702:1041]

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    I think a good example and one of the greatest travesties is the teacher's union. It is a detriment to the education system. It protects bad teachers, bargains for more pay, and all the while is inconsiderate of student needs. And that isn't to say all members of the teachers' union are bad either. A lot want what is best for their kids. They just don't see the detriment they cause with the union.

    Honestly one of my biggest problems with unions is that they protect the lazy and stupid. And most who support them don't realize it. They are looking out for themselves and not the good of people outside the union.
    Right, your proof positive is Texas. It is illegal for teachers to collectively bargain with a union and has been that way for years. There school system can compete at the top internationally while union loving schools like MA score at the very bottom. Union loving MA bad for students. Union hating Texas good for students- Sarcasm over

  6. #1076
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,632

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers[W:702:1041]

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Right, your proof positive is Texas. It is illegal for teachers to collectively bargain with a union and has been that way for years. There school system can compete at the top internationally while union loving schools like MA score at the very bottom. Union loving MA bad for students. Union hating Texas good for students- Sarcasm over
    You might compare say Cincinnati public schools (unionized) with many in our suburbs (often not unionized)

    cherry picking as you have done is really not very helpful



  7. #1077
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers[W:702:1041]

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    You might compare say Cincinnati public schools (unionized) with many in our suburbs (often not unionized)

    cherry picking as you have done is really not very helpful
    His argument is ridiculous. That is the point.

  8. #1078
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,632

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers[W:702:1041]

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    His argument is ridiculous. That is the point.
    Public sector unions are ridiculous and should be banned. They don't do anything valuable for the taxpayers and drive up our costs.



  9. #1079
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers[W:702:1041]

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Public sector unions are ridiculous and should be banned. They don't do anything valuable for the taxpayers and drive up our costs.
    In your opinion.

  10. #1080
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,632

    Re: ‘Pressure tactics’: Unions publishing names of nonunion workers[W:702:1041]

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    In your opinion.
    Yes, in my opinion as someone who spent 30 years handling labor issues and 24 years dealing with public sector unions. Private sector unions have some value in some trades as some unions train their apprentices and guarantee the quality of the work. Good unions also help management when there are problems. In the private sector-there is arms length bargaining because the unions bargain for more pay for less work while management represents the interests of the employer-wishing better or more labor for less costs

    in the public sector-those on the "other side" of the union are generally politicians or those who owe their jobs to politicians and in areas where Unions are strong, those politicians often owe their continued tenure in office to union support. SO rather than representing the taxpayer, those bargaining with the Unions are often more interested in keeping the unions happy then obtaining the best bargain for us taxpayers.

    furthermore, government employees have all the safeguard of the laws. so Unions do nothing but drive up our costs in the pubic sector



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •