Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Results 131 to 132 of 132

Thread: 58% of Americans want to ban flights from West Africa[W:106]

  1. #131
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,145

    Re: 58% of Americans want to ban flights from West Africa[W:106]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurmugeon View Post
    Your argument assumes that the statistics of getting Ebola are static.

    Epidemics are not static. The chance of getting Ebola does not act like the chance of getting heart disease or cancer, which changes only slowly over time. the problem is those who are NOT concerned about Ebola do not understand the nature of Exponential Growth of Epidemics! The current Ebola Epidemic in Western Africa Started in March of this year.

    The WHO estimates that this upcoming month there will be 10,000 new cases with a 50% mortality rate. Currently more than 5000 people have died. In January of this year, there had not been any deaths, not ONE, in Africa for a number of years.

    Timeline: Tracing the world's worst Ebola outbreak - Firstpost

    Before this, the most recent deaths were in 2012.

    Ebola virus disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    This is the mathematical nature of Exponential Growth of Epidemics.

    You cannot scientifically base your assessment of the threat based on the static number of people who currently have the disease in your country, as a percentage of the total number of people, if you have have more than zero people infected.

    Because just one case can grow exponentially, just as it did, this year alone, in Africa, to thousands, and likely millions, in less
    than a year. People quote two cases in America, compared to a 316 Million population, and dismiss the case as statistically insignificant.

    You're looking at it all WRONG!

    There were Zero, Zilch, Nada, None, No cases at all in Africa in January of 2014, and there hadn't been a case since 2012.

    In a year, in Africa, it has gone from 1 case in March, to 10,000 new cases a WEEK in October.

    That is exponential growth!

    -
    Quote Originally Posted by truthatallcost View Post
    Q: What defines a "progressive"?
    A: A complete lack of foresight.

    I bet you thought AIDS was just a big scare tactic of the right too? Well close to 1,000,000 Americans have now died from AIDS. Hundreds of thousands have been infected and sickened by West Nile Virus. Africa also leads the world in whooping cough, tuberculosis, and malaria. We just happen to have had recent outbreaks of TB and whooping cough in the US, when those illnesses had previously been eradicated many years ago. So tell me, where's the actual "progress" that progressives bring? I don't see any, all I see is regression, so maybe you guys should call yourselves regressives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadvirus View Post
    Obama, the CDC Director and the "It's fine" people on this thread just don't get it.

    Setting up "screenings" at airports? Really?
    Take their temperature....POINTLESS! Duncan was not symptomatic until a couple of days after his plane ride.
    Questionaries? Easy to lie. Duncan did it on his before he left home.

    I don't give a flying pile of cow flop how "safe we are" according to the CDC Director. We need to ban all flights from Ebola-hit countries and ban all Africans from Ebola-hit countries who come via other countries. If medical personnel from there want to come home, that's fine. But before they do, they'll have to spend a month in isolation to make sure they're virus clean.

    Both Republicans AND Democrats are calling for flight bans. If both of them are in agreement on something, it must be serious...and Obama better consider heeding their calls.

    We got lucky as hell in Dallas. We dodged a bullet. We might not be so lucky next time. Better to be safe then sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    As of this moment, yes. But the flu makes most people just feel really sick, and they get better. Ebola is generally a two-week death sentence.

    1 becomes 2, which becomes 4, which becomes 8..........which becomes 512, which becomes 1,024.

    And they all die.
    Just thought I would check in to see how the US ebola epidemic is going. I haven't seen too much of it on the news (its so liberally biased, after all)... I figured that all the informed people on this thread would have a good update for me...

    Ebola outbreaks are not new. The 2014 outbreak in Africa was not the first and only. Ebola, because it is not widely contagious, as seen first hand over the recent weeks in the US, is easily contained. It is especially easily contained in the US, which has superior healthcare processes and facilities to that of Africa. As we have all witnessed, Ebola is NOT a two week death sentence in the US and is NOT an imminent threat.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ebola_outbreaks

    Many of the reactions on this thread were reactions of fear going against the grain of reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    The reasons the CDC have given for NOT blocking commercial flights from the Liberian area to the USA seem pretty weak.
    Makes you wonder if they're not giving the actual reason because it would sound insanely out-of-balance politically to most of us.
    .... or, maybe the CDC is about the science rather than the emotion.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 11-11-14 at 02:00 AM.

  2. #132
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,145

    Re: 58% of Americans want to ban flights from West Africa[W:106]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurmugeon View Post
    Your argument assumes that the statistics of getting Ebola are static.

    Epidemics are not static. The chance of getting Ebola does not act like the chance of getting heart disease or cancer, which changes only slowly over time. the problem is those who are NOT concerned about Ebola do not understand the nature of Exponential Growth of Epidemics!

    The current Ebola Epidemic in Western Africa Started in March of this year. The WHO estimates that this upcoming month there will be 10,000 new cases with a 50% mortality rate. Currently more than 5000 people have died.

    In January of this year, there had not been any deaths, not ONE, in Africa for a number of years.

    Timeline: Tracing the world's worst Ebola outbreak - Firstpost

    Before this, the most recent deaths were in 2012.

    Ebola virus disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    This is the mathematical nature of Exponential Growth of Epidemics. You cannot scientifically base your assessment of the threat based on the static number of people who currently have the disease in =your country, as a percentage of the total number of people, if you have have more than zero people infected.

    Because just one case can grow exponentially, just as it did, this year alone, in Africa, to thousands, and likely millions, in less
    than a year. People quote two cases in America, compared to a 316 Million population, and dismiss the case as statistically insignificant.
    You're looking at it all WRONG!

    There were Zero, Zilch, Nada, None, No cases at all in Africa in January of 2014, and there hadn't been a case since 2012. In a year, in Africa, it has gone from 1 case in March, to 10,000 new cases a WEEK in October. That is exponential growth!

    -
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurmugeon View Post
    Another Leftie who is supremely confident that they are immune to Ebola..... Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    As of this moment, yes. But the flu makes most people just feel really sick, and they get better. Ebola is generally a two-week death sentence.

    1 becomes 2, which becomes 4, which becomes 8..........which becomes 512, which becomes 1,024.

    And they all die.
    I hope you are once again sleeping at night knowing that the ebola boogyman is not growing exponentially... Of course, 1 to the 100th is 1.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 12-10-14 at 11:57 PM.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •