Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: US could lift sanctions against Russia

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    12-22-14 @ 06:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    77

    US could lift sanctions against Russia

    US Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs Victoria Nuland confirmed Tuesday that if the Minsk agreements are fully implemented, the United States could lift a number of sanctions against Russia.
    Speaking at a meeting with the students of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kiev, Nuland said the United States could cancel some of the sanctions it had imposed against Russia if the Minsk agreements are fully implemented and if both sides of the Ukrainian conflict observe the ceasefire.
    If Minsk Agreement is Fully Implemented, US Could Lift Sanctions Against Russia: Official | World | RIA Novosti

    Funny thing, I didn't manage to find this news in any European or American source. Maybe, Iím not a skilled Google user. Or maybe somebody doesn't want us to know certain things.
    Anyway, this might be something good in the international relations for a change. Do you think it might work?

  2. #2
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,559

    Re: US could lift sanctions against Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by Tameamea View Post
    If Minsk Agreement is Fully Implemented, US Could Lift Sanctions Against Russia: Official | World | RIA Novosti

    Funny thing, I didn't manage to find this news in any European or American source. Maybe, I’m not a skilled Google user. Or maybe somebody doesn't want us to know certain things.
    Anyway, this might be something good in the international relations for a change. Do you think it might work?
    heres a US source

    Obama Says U.S. Would Lift Sanctions if Russia Pulls Back in Ukraine - NationalJournal.com

    Russia will probably never pull out of Ukraine without any gains so the sanctions arent coming off anytime soon

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: US could lift sanctions against Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by Tameamea View Post
    If Minsk Agreement is Fully Implemented, US Could Lift Sanctions Against Russia: Official | World | RIA Novosti

    Funny thing, I didn't manage to find this news in any European or American source. Maybe, I’m not a skilled Google user. Or maybe somebody doesn't want us to know certain things.
    Anyway, this might be something good in the international relations for a change. Do you think it might work?
    I wouldn't lift sanctions Putin is out of control and out of his mind..... He thinks hes Stalin or Lenin or something.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: US could lift sanctions against Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I wouldn't lift sanctions Putin is out of control and out of his mind..... He thinks hes Stalin or Lenin or something.
    No, he doesn't think that at all.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: US could lift sanctions against Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by Tameamea View Post
    If Minsk Agreement is Fully Implemented, US Could Lift Sanctions Against Russia: Official | World | RIA Novosti

    Funny thing, I didn't manage to find this news in any European or American source. Maybe, I’m not a skilled Google user. Or maybe somebody doesn't want us to know certain things.
    Anyway, this might be something good in the international relations for a change. Do you think it might work?
    IMO, it's premature to lift sanctions. A logical starting point for beginning that process might be sustained adherence to the ceasefire, complete withdrawal of Russian troops from the Donetsk and Luhansk areas in Ukraine, and perhaps a framework of agreed principles that would guide negotiations between Kiev and the pro-Russia separatists. If sanctions begin to be lifted too soon, the costs of Russian inflexibility would be lower than they would otherwise be. That outcome could allow Russia to adopt a more rigid stance and thereby impede a diplomatic resolution of the conflict.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    12-22-14 @ 06:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    77

    Re: US could lift sanctions against Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I wouldn't lift sanctions Putin is out of control and out of his mind..... He thinks hes Stalin or Lenin or something.
    I'm afraid, that's what our news sources think about him, but not he himself. As far as I remember, he never called himself anything like that.

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    IMO, it's premature to lift sanctions. A logical starting point for beginning that process might be sustained adherence to the ceasefire, complete withdrawal of Russian troops from the Donetsk and Luhansk areas in Ukraine, and perhaps a framework of agreed principles that would guide negotiations between Kiev and the pro-Russia separatists. If sanctions begin to be lifted too soon, the costs of Russian inflexibility would be lower than they would otherwise be. That outcome could allow Russia to adopt a more rigid stance and thereby impede a diplomatic resolution of the conflict.
    I see the problem here in one serious issue: the Ukrainians say that Russia has troops in Donbass; Russia says it doesn't. And there have been no proofs of any of these two points of view.
    What I saw in our and other news were just some satellite pictures of Russian troops moving... on the Russian territory, though close to the border with Ukraine, but still - in Russia. So...

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: US could lift sanctions against Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by Tameamea View Post
    I see the problem here in one serious issue: the Ukrainians say that Russia has troops in Donbass; Russia says it doesn't. And there have been no proofs of any of these two points of view.
    As the parties engage diplomatically, these kinds of issues can be addressed. Clearly, Ukraine and Russia have differences.

    In the longer-run, I hope that it will be possible to substantially or fully eliminate the sanctions and to rebuild a more positive relationship between the U.S./European Union's members and Russia. The status quo benefits no one. There are some broad common interests that can offer a basis for a stronger relationship among all of the above parties. Having said that, a sanctions reduction process should be tied to concrete diplomatic progress.

  8. #8
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: US could lift sanctions against Russia

    We aren't lifting crap until:

    #1 Russia leaves Ukraine completely

    #2 Puto steps down from office

    In other words, we aren't lifting sanctions until Puto is on his deathbed.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •