Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 87 of 87

Thread: Chimpanzees' rights case argued at New York appeals court hearing

  1. #81
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,028

    Re: Do chimps deserve the same basic rights as people?

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Yea, I always thought they did look a bit robotic. And their music wasn't that much better either. LOL.

    Im sure your reply was halarious but there is no picture.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  2. #82
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: Do chimps deserve the same basic rights as people?

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    Im sure your reply was halarious but there is no picture.
    I can see it OK. Oh, wait.... I know what the problem is. Open your eyes.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Do chimps deserve the same basic rights as people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    No we just put toddlers on "time out."

    I suppose here we're talking about research chimps?

    If anyone cares research chimps save millions of lives every year........ Would you rather we hold medical trials on human beings?

    Do I like to see Chimps (or any animals die) hell no I don't but if the purpose is to study diseases and other research that could help save humans - I can overlook my disgust...
    Actually I was referring to the article in the OP which about a privately owned chimp. I am not 100% against animal testing because the benefits can be significant. I do think it is drastically over-used, especially for cosmetics. It isn't really necessary to have cosmetic companies constantly coming up with new products that require harming animals to test.

  4. #84
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,628

    Re: Do chimps deserve the same basic rights as people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post


    More seriously, however, no. They do not.

    This isn't to say that one should be cruel to them. However, the idea that they are deserving of "human rights" is simply absurd.
    I think so. They are 99.9% DNA match to humans. They are not like most other animals, just like humans are not.
    ________________________________

  5. #85
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,549

    Re: Do chimps deserve the same basic rights as people?

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJack View Post
    I think so. They are 99.9% DNA match to humans. They are not like most other animals, just like humans are not.
    Actually we share about 96% and that is obviously a huge difference.

    We also have other differences...

    Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes in total while chimpanzees have 24. Chimpanzees and other apes have telomeres about 23 kilobases long, whereas humans are completely unique among primates with much shorter telomeres only 10 kilobases long. And the kicker is the Y chromosome in chimpanzees is smaller than that of humans and only 60% of the genes are similar to those of the y chromosome of humans.

    So yes we have a common ancestor. The great apes are however not human and until the great apes can understand the concept of rights, they should remain under the umbrella of animal cruelty laws.

    Apes cannot understand property or property ownership on more than a rudimentary level such as a favorite toy etc. Great apes do not understand what morals are or how they apply to rights.

    So no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #86
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,628

    Re: Do chimps deserve the same basic rights as people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    Actually we share about 96% and that is obviously a huge difference.

    We also have other differences...

    Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes in total while chimpanzees have 24. Chimpanzees and other apes have telomeres about 23 kilobases long, whereas humans are completely unique among primates with much shorter telomeres only 10 kilobases long. And the kicker is the Y chromosome in chimpanzees is smaller than that of humans and only 60% of the genes are similar to those of the y chromosome of humans.

    So yes we have a common ancestor. The great apes are however not human and until the great apes can understand the concept of rights, they should remain under the umbrella of animal cruelty laws.

    Apes cannot understand property or property ownership on more than a rudimentary level such as a favorite toy etc. Great apes do not understand what morals are or how they apply to rights.

    So no.
    No, we share about 99% DNA. It's higher than that for some other animal...I forget which one. Dolphin, maybe?

    Your argument about concept of rights is meaningless. Humans don't have rights because they all understand them. Even humans who are brain dead and obviously have no concept of rights are granted human rights. People who were born with insufficient brain capacity to understand the concept of rights are granted human rights. Fetuses past a certain point are granted certain rights.

    Granting the primates certain rights has nothing to do with their understanding of those rights. Besides, throughout history, the modern man (at any point in time) has underestimated animals and ancient man.

    So, yes.
    ________________________________

  7. #87
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,549

    Re: Do chimps deserve the same basic rights as people?

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJack View Post
    No, we share about 99% DNA. It's higher than that for some other animal...I forget which one. Dolphin, maybe?
    Wrong. It is exactly as I stated. And no it is not "higher" in some other animal.

    As a result of technological limitations, comparisons between chimp and human DNA focus on areas that are similar. Thus, as Dr. Poythress explains, chimp and human DNA only appear “99%” identical if:

    1. repeated sequences are ignored

    2. only sections that “align naturally” are compared

    3. and the only differences noted are single base-pair substitutions.

    Thus, extra sequences of DNA—commonly called “insertions” and “deletions”—are ignored. When they are included among the differences, the figure becomes “96%.”
    - https://answersingenesis.org/genetic...t-really-mean/

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJack View Post
    Your argument about concept of rights is meaningless.
    Only to those with no argument or common sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJack View Post
    Humans don't have rights because they all understand them. Even humans who are brain dead and obviously have no concept of rights are granted human rights. People who were born with insufficient brain capacity to understand the concept of rights are granted human rights. Fetuses past a certain point are granted certain rights.
    Humans have rights because we as a species know what our rights are. We should, we created them for humans. Your "humans born with" argument is nonsense in that it makes them no less human.

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJack View Post
    Granting the primates certain rights has nothing to do with their understanding of those rights. Besides, throughout history, the modern man (at any point in time) has underestimated animals and ancient man.
    So what? So because we "underestimated" the mental capacity of ancient man and animals? ... They should have human rights? Dead people and animals?

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJack View Post
    So, yes.
    Your argument is again complete nonsense. So no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •