Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 87

Thread: Chimpanzees' rights case argued at New York appeals court hearing

  1. #61
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,999

    Re: Do chimps deserve the same basic rights as people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Planet of the Apes is fiction. It's so interesting that we may want it to be a possible truth, but alas... Hollywood and reality aren't very closely connected.
    Lies....

  2. #62
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,457

    Re: Do chimps deserve the same basic rights as people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    As Southern Democrat already said, we don't need to talk about gun, voting or driving rights just to have that discussion. Rights are a wide field, such as in this case not to be caged and experimented on indiscriminately. Their superior intelligence to other animals certainly qualifies them for that much.
    Those ends, which I agree with, are best served via laws mandating the humane treatment of animals. We don't need to extend animals rights to make that happen.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Do chimps deserve the same basic rights as people?

    I don't think that animals should be granted full human rights, but I would ban most personal ownership of many types of social, physically active and/or intelligent animals because it is cruel.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: Do chimps deserve the same basic rights as people?

    Some of the people I see living in this country make me wonder if chimpanzees don't already have civil rights.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,457

    Re: Do chimps deserve the same basic rights as people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    I don't think that animals should be granted full human rights, but I would ban most personal ownership of many types of social, physically active and/or intelligent animals because it is cruel.
    Why do you think that it's cruel. My dogs and cats are treated as members of my family and to all appearances believe they are members of the family. It may not be an exact parallel to a chimp, for example, but if a chimp is raised as a member of a household I'm not seeing what's particularly cruel about that. Merely taking an animal from it's natural habitat doesn't strike me as being cruel.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Do chimps deserve the same basic rights as people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    Why do you think that it's cruel. My dogs and cats are treated as members of my family and to all appearances believe they are members of the family. It may not be an exact parallel to a chimp, for example, but if a chimp is raised as a member of a household I'm not seeing what's particularly cruel about that. Merely taking an animal from it's natural habitat doesn't strike me as being cruel.
    I don't have a problem with having animals that are suitable for living with people such as cats and dogs and many others. Chimps and most other primates and many other animals are too dangerous and/or destructive to raise as a member of a family. Read up on what happens when people try. The result is usually the chimp seriously hurting someone and winding up spending the rest of his life in a cage. There are good reasons why the specific animals that are routinely used as pets were selected. Animals have a variety of special needs. Many are very social so being isolated is torture. Others need to migrate, hunt or run freely. Few zoos manage to give animals a proper environment, so it is very unlikely that an individual can do it.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Do chimps deserve the same basic rights as people?

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    Im not so sure. Its possible that simply by using certain skills the reproduction dna might slightly alter that which hasnt been born yet. DNA probably has a portion that is programmed in real time and daily basis.
    Evolution happens due to mutation and natural selection, living things can not will their DNA to change.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Do chimps deserve the same basic rights as people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    Until chimps, or any other animal for that matter, can actually become functional members of society and undertake the duties that having rights entails they cannot themselves have rights.
    Every living thing has rights to the degree they are able to protect those rights.* Every living thing deserves some basic rights that should only be violated for very good reasons in my opinion.

    *Where do lions sleep? Anywhere they want to.

  9. #69
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,457

    Re: Do chimps deserve the same basic rights as people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    I don't have a problem with having animals that are suitable for living with people such as cats and dogs and many others. Chimps and most other primates and many other animals are too dangerous and/or destructive to raise as a member of a family. Read up on what happens when people try. The result is usually the chimp seriously hurting someone and winding up spending the rest of his life in a cage. There are good reasons why the specific animals that are routinely used as pets were selected. Animals have a variety of special needs. Many are very social so being isolated is torture. Others need to migrate, hunt or run freely. Few zoos manage to give animals a proper environment, so it is very unlikely that an individual can do it.
    The part about destructiveness and hunting instinct is sensible and I agree. To me keeping a big cat is a bad idea. I'm less sure about hunting birds though.

    I also do wonder if a social animal really needs to be among it's own to socialize. Again I'm drawing a possibly wrong parallel to dogs but dogs which in the wild are pack animals don't seem to have much trouble with having humans and cats in their pack.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Chimpanzees' rights case argued at New York appeals court hearing

    Quote Originally Posted by recalcitrant View Post
    Chimpanzees' rights case argued at New York appeals court hearing - CBS News

    Every chimp should go to school and vote in elections and get food stamps and own a gun and be read their miranda rights when being put under arrest



    Yeah well I AM! Steven Wise isn't going far enough!

    Knowing the republicans though they'll make polling times difficult to dolphins and make dolphins wait in line for like 12 hours and suggest dolphins to get voter ID that they just can't get for some reason.

    Are we ready though for all the illegal alien dolphins from mexico swimming up to our coasts?
    Since when is a chimp a "Man" or a "People"....


    I think some of these people have watched too many Planet of the Apes movies.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •