Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 107

Thread: 1st Ebola patient diagnosed in the US has died[W:33]

  1. #71
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: 1st Ebola patient diagnosed in the US has died[W:33]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    There's nothing magic abou it.

    Even the CDC acknowledged that Ebola could go airborne.
    Greetings, Fenton.

    : They said at that time it was within two mutations of becoming airborne. Is there a change in human Ebola symptons, or how do they track how quickly it might be mutating in order to become airborne?

  2. #72
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 1st Ebola patient diagnosed in the US has died[W:33]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    I'm talking about Virus' in general and timeframe wasn't your original concern.

    The concern is how many people it infects and how much it could mutate to become airborne.

    AIDS and Hepatitis C have infected millions and has never mutated to become airborne...

    There have been airborne variants of Ebola before...read below carefully.


    The World Health Organization says its scientists are unaware of any virus that has dramatically changed its mode of transmission.

    "For example, the H5N1 avian influenza virus... has probably circulated through many billions of birds for at least two decades. Its mode of transmission remains basically unchanged. Speculation that Ebola virus disease might mutate into a form that could easily spread among humans through the air is just that: speculation, unsubstantiated by any evidence."

    Osterholm and other experts couldn't think of another virus that has made the transition from non-airborne to airborne in humans. They say the chances are relatively small that Ebola will make that jump. But as the virus spreads, they warned, the likelihood increases.

    Every time a new person gets Ebola, the virus gets another chance to mutate and develop new capabilities. Osterholm calls it "genetic roulette."

    "The roots of our Ebola fears", that book chronicles the 1989 outbreak of Ebola Reston, which was transmitted among monkeys by breathing. In 2012, Canadian researchers found that Ebola Zaire, which is involved in the current outbreak, was passed from pigs to monkeys in the air.

    Dr. James Le Duc, the director of the Galveston National Laboratory at the University of Texas, said the problem is that no one is keeping track of the mutations happening across West Africa, so no one really knows what the virus has become.

    One group of researchers looked at how Ebola changed over a short period of time in just one area in Sierra Leone early on in the outbreak, before it was spreading as fast as it is now. They found more than 300 genetic changes in the virus.

    "It's frightening to look at how much this virus mutated within just three weeks," said Dr. Pardis Sabeti, an associate professor at Harvard and senior associate member of the Broad Institute, where the research was done.

    Even without becoming airborne, the virus has overwhelmed efforts to stop it.

    Ebola airborne: A nightmare that could happen - CNN.com
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  3. #73
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: 1st Ebola patient diagnosed in the US has died[W:33]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    News from The Associated Press



    Not a good sign. So far though at least no others are showing signs of sickness.
    Now reporting a possible.

    Frisco Investigating Possible Ebola Case

    A person in Frisco who may be showing Ebola symptoms and claims to have had contact with Thomas Eric Duncan, the man who died of the virus Wednesday in Dallas, is being investigated, the city says.

    [...]

    Frisco Investigating Possible Ebola Case | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth


    News conference at 3:30pm local time.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  4. #74
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: 1st Ebola patient diagnosed in the US has died[W:33]

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Now reporting a possible.
    Frisco Investigating Possible Ebola Case
    A person in Frisco who may be showing Ebola symptoms and claims to have had contact with Thomas Eric Duncan, the man who died of the virus Wednesday in Dallas, is being investigated, the city says.

    [...]

    Frisco Investigating Possible Ebola Case | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth


    News conference at 3:30pm local time.
    from your link ~ Apparently, it is an employee with the Dallas County Sheriff's Office who was in Duncan's apartment, NBC 5 has confirmed.

  5. #75
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,321

    Re: 1st Ebola patient diagnosed in the US has died[W:33]

    I predict if one more West African enters into this Country and winds up in one of our Hospitals with Ebola, there will be a travel ban.

    England and France have already instituted a ban.

  6. #76
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: 1st Ebola patient diagnosed in the US has died[W:33]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    I predict if one more West African enters into this Country and winds up in one of our Hospitals with Ebola, there will be a travel ban.

    England and France have already instituted a ban.
    Amazingly, I disagree. I believe the current administration including the CDC all the way up to the WH is so arrogant and out of touch with reality, that travel will continue unabated.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #77
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,130

    Re: 1st Ebola patient diagnosed in the US has died[W:33]

    The range of knowledge of many of the posters on DP is impressive.

    Interesting that some of the same folk that post on this thread about how contagious ebola is, speak with incredible authority and contrary to virtually every expert on contagious diseases. They speak with incredible affirmation, without the benefit of credible scientific evidence for their position, nor, to my knowledge any credential of formal training in the field of medicine or bio-chemistry. Impressive.

    Even more impressive, many of these medical commentators speak with equal authority on matters of economics, often taking positions contrary to noble prize winning economists, again with out the benefit of any collaborating academic evidence or personal credential.

    Then, many of these same people can be found arguing with a tone of conviction (their conviction) about controversial criminal cases where much of the evidence isn't even in the public domain. We can only assume that many of these posters are actual witnesses to the crime at hand.

    I don't know, it just seems improbable that these people are really credible experts on so many things. Perhaps, they just think they are and thus, instead of actually adding anything credible to the discussion and educating others, they are doing the opposite in presenting their misguided impressions and just dumbing down the discussion.... just a thought.

  8. #78
    Professor
    Derp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dunedin, Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,290

    Re: 1st Ebola patient diagnosed in the US has died

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    The thing with Ebola is that, it's not contagious when you don't have symptoms. So you can fly, kiss, have sex with a person who has it, and as long as their not symptomatic, you're fine. Best thing about Ebola is that when you are sick, you are VERY SICK. That means, you aren't leaving your house to get on an airplane and fly across the globe.

    Also, you could kiss someone with Ebola and still not catch it. Remember, it's bodily secretions... not merely bodily fluids.
    What?

    •blood or body fluids (including but not limited to urine, saliva, sweat, feces, vomit, breast milk, and semen) of a person who is sick with Ebola
    Transmission | Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever | CDC

  9. #79
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: 1st Ebola patient diagnosed in the US has died[W:33]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Amazingly, I disagree. I believe the current administration including the CDC all the way up to the WH is so arrogant and out of touch with reality, that travel will continue unabated.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #80
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: 1st Ebola patient diagnosed in the US has died[W:33]

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    The range of knowledge of many of the posters on DP is impressive.

    Interesting that some of the same folk that post on this thread about how contagious ebola is, speak with incredible authority and contrary to virtually every expert on contagious diseases. They speak with incredible affirmation, without the benefit of credible scientific evidence for their position, nor, to my knowledge any credential of formal training in the field of medicine or bio-chemistry. Impressive.

    Even more impressive, many of these medical commentators speak with equal authority on matters of economics, often taking positions contrary to noble prize winning economists, again with out the benefit of any collaborating academic evidence or personal credential.

    Then, many of these same people can be found arguing with a tone of conviction (their conviction) about controversial criminal cases where much of the evidence isn't even in the public domain. We can only assume that many of these posters are actual witnesses to the crime at hand.

    I don't know, it just seems improbable that these people are really credible experts on so many things. Perhaps, they just think they are and thus, instead of actually adding anything credible to the discussion and educating others, they are doing the opposite in presenting their misguided impressions and just dumbing down the discussion.... just a thought.
    You posted this to be ironic didn't you?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •