Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
Results 171 to 178 of 178

Thread: Seattle Changes Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoplesí Day

  1. #171
    Sage
    Winchester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,485

    Re: Seattle Changes Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoplesí Day

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Because St. Patrick has nothing to do with American history.
    No ****? Really?!?! I never knew that before.

  2. #172
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,047

    Re: Seattle Changes Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoplesí Day

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    The only difference with the "indigenous people" is there was no optional conversion.
    What??

    .....

  3. #173
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,697

    Re: Seattle Changes Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoplesí Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    What??

    .....
    Murder, slavery and rape were the norm in native American conquest, the only thing on your list that doesn't fit the native American conquest profile is optional religious conversion to avoid the raping, murdering and slavery.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  4. #174
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,047

    Re: Seattle Changes Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoplesí Day

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Murder, slavery and rape were the norm in native American conquest, the only thing on your list that doesn't fit the native American conquest profile is optional religious conversion to avoid the raping, murdering and slavery.
    Evidence of bad behavior of a victim doesn't excuse entirely separate crimes by an assailant. For example, there is no rational court that excuses a rapist because it can be demonstrated that the rape victim slept with multiple partners before the attack, or to excuse a mugger because it could be shown that the mugging victim prior to the attack cheated on his exams in high school. And this isn't solely about law, exactly, but an example of how rational and moral thinking operates. Otherwise, any attack on someone, no matter how egregious, could be justified if only the assailant could just demonstrate that the victim was naughty at some other point in their life. This runs entirely counter to how civilization can even function. With your way of thinking chaos would rule the day.

  5. #175
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,495

    Re: Seattle Changes Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoplesí Day

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    I had no idea people were so passionate about Columbus day.

    How exactly do those who are for it celebrate it?
    We have a parade here in NY. Or maybe we had and stopped having it. Dunno.

    Lots of Italians look at Columbus as the WOP St Patrick. I'm of Italian descent and I really don't care one way or the other to be honest. If my present employer gives me the day off I say thanks and sleep late. If not I go to work.

    On the subject of whether he was an evil bastard or not. Sure he was. Most people back then were by our morality. Especially so for people who tried to get things done.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  6. #176
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,047

    Re: Seattle Changes Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoplesí Day

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    I had no idea people were so passionate about Columbus day.

    How exactly do those who are for it celebrate it?
    I played Christopher Columbus in the 2nd grade. They forced me to play an asshole. So there, now you know my origin story.

  7. #177
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: Seattle Changes Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoplesí Day

    I think Eric the Red Day would be more appropriate, since the Vikings beat Columbus to America by about 400 years.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #178
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,423

    Re: Seattle Changes Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoplesí Day

    Unless it's a paid holiday, I really don't give a crap either way. Unpaid holidays are nothing more than a way to inconvenience me by closing the banks and post offices when I still have business to conduct.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •