Originally Posted by Crovax
I can't answer for CT of course, but my thoughts are:
1. Baker was issued in 1972.
2. In 1972 there were no Civil Marriages in any state in the union.
3. It wasn't until 1996 the DOMA was passed (i.e. federal law which impact directly the recognition of Civil Marriages by federal entities and Congress said whether other states had to recognize out of state marriages).
4. In 2004 the first state authorized SSCM (Massachusetts).
5. Now in 2014 there were 19 states recognizing SSCM.
In 1972 there really wasn't any federal question, in 2014 that condition didn't apply.