Page 63 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
Results 621 to 630 of 880

Thread: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

  1. #621
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,521

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yeah, that's it alright, whatever makes you sleep better at night. BTW, SSM bans are still getting overturned DESPITE you saying they can't.
    Obviously (not to you), I never said they can't. They certainly can, but there is a right way and a wrong way. Currently, it's the unconstitutional wrong way.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  2. #622
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,963

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    That is an incomprehensible assertion. The evolution of attitudes on same sex marriage, from dismissal to acceptance in a generation, is the most far reaching and rapid shift in history.
    I think same sex marriage is a natural extension of the revolutionary concept of human rights in totum. As for the most far reaching rapid shift in history, I might have gone with fire, the wheel or the printing press.

  3. #623
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    Obviously (not to you), I never said they can't. They certainly can, but there is a right way and a wrong way. Currently, it's the unconstitutional wrong way.
    That is your opinion. Too bad, what you think doesn't matter AT ALL in REALITY.

  4. #624
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,740
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I think same sex marriage is a natural extension of the revolutionary concept of human rights in totum. As for the most far reaching rapid shift in history, I might have gone with fire, the wheel or the printing press.
    I should have specified "most far reaching and rapid shift in social attitudes in history."
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  5. #625
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,963

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    I should have specified "most far reaching and rapid shift in social attitudes in history."
    Then I would go with two shifts: the construction of the hierarchical system beginning with town/state civilization some six thousand-ish years ago, and the gradual deconstruction of that system starting with the concept of human rights (or "natural" rights) in the 16th century. All increases in human rights and liberties have been an extension that began in that period. Apparently we will release our hold on caste systems, but only very, very grudgingly.

  6. #626
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,740
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Then I would go with two shifts: the construction of the hierarchical system beginning with town/state civilization some six thousand-ish years ago, and the gradual deconstruction of that system starting with the concept of human rights (or "natural" rights) in the 16th century. All increases in human rights and liberties have been an extension that began in that period. Apparently we will release our hold on hierarchies, but only very, very grudgingly.
    Those are certainly far reaching but they fall short on the "rapid" criterion. Both of those took much, much longer than a generation.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #627
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,963

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Those are certainly far reaching but they fall short on the "rapid" criterion. Both of those took much, much longer than a generation.
    Which is why ssm is just one piece of the second large-scale social movement.

  8. #628
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,740
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Which is why ssm is just one piece of the second large-scale social movement.
    We'll have to part company there. A fundamental revision of a social convention thousands (tens of thousands?) of years old in a single generation stands on its own as a remarkable and unprecedented shift, IMHO.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  9. #629
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,963

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    We'll have to part company there. A fundamental revision of a social convention thousands (tens of thousands?) of years old in a single generation stands on its own as a remarkable and unprecedented shift, IMHO.
    It stands to reason that any change in human rights and liberties would somehow infringe on some other, separate convention that is thousands of years old: woman's suffrage gradually turning over the institution of patriarchy, freedom overturning the institution of slavery, a free middle class overturning feudalism, etc.

  10. #630
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,740
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    It stands to reason that any change in human rights and liberties would somehow infringe on some other, separate convention that is thousands of years old: woman's suffrage gradually turning over the institution of patriarchy, freedom overturning the institution of slavery, a free middle class overturning feudalism, etc.
    Yes. I agree. The breathtaking feature this time is the speed.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

Page 63 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •