Page 40 of 88 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 880

Thread: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

  1. #391
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    Prop 8 was in 2008, why don't you feel that Maine, Maryland, Washington, and Minnesota which had Marriage Equality on the 2012 General Election ballot (and all 4 won), don't you think the more current vote would reflect what states want?



    >>>>
    Absolutely NOT because every state is sovereign with their own constitutions and laws.... If your assertion was correct then why do states have their own constitutions and laws?

  2. #392
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    NH made same sex marriage legal in 2010, but what's interesting about that is that we never put it to a vote. Our governor (John Lynch, a Democrat) said he was personally opposed to SSM but signed the law anyway. We had civil unions starting in 2008 or something like that.

    Well good governors sign legislation that they may not agree with as long as its the will of the people...

    Also, a little OT here but I don't like the use of "gay marriage" "civil unions" seem more appropriate.

  3. #393
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Then why the hell do you call yourself a libertarian when it is quite clear that Dems/Progressives and RINO's just want the government to treat you like child as if they think they know what's best for "everybody."
    Why would I be called a Dem or Republican? I don't follow their ideals.

    I'd bet collectively our congress has an IQ of 115-120 tops, which isn't bad by any means but the simple fact their "world view" as that of a lawyer really corrupts their minds, morality and ethics and on top of that boosts their ego's 100%...

    The truth is that many in government who aren't corrupted and serve their constituents refuse lodging and choose to sleep on the floors or couches in their office just because it would be a waste of money to burden the taxpayer with a nice hotel room.... It seems democrats love the idea of living in luxury - it's a free meal ticket for them...
    Sorry but Republicans are just as bad, you think these folks fly coach and drive small car rentals where they go or not accept lobbyist money? Republicans enjoy the free meal ticket as well as any Dem does.

    Democrats/Progressives/Liberals or whatever you want to call them have turned into aristocrats along with their 80-year-old RINO peers.
    Yep, both the Dems and Republicans are corrupt, not sure where you are thinking I disagree with that.

  4. #394
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Absolutely NOT because every state is sovereign with their own constitutions and laws.... If your assertion was correct then why do states have their own constitutions and laws?

    Not my assertion, I was questioning YOUR assertion that because Prop 8 succeeded in 2008 that it somehow represented a national opinion. I made no assertion, I did however point out that there were more recent votes which could be used for YOUR assertion. Well unless that assertion wasn't really based on the most recent vote representing a national view.



    >>>>

  5. #395
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,816

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I think Prop 8 showed just what the general public thought about SSM.... If states want SSM then it should be on the ballot...
    all this time and you still dont get its not a states issue lol
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #396
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,696

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage - Bloomberg



    The SCOTUS has ruled they will leave it up to the states to decide and will not take up a nationwide ruling on same sex marriage. This means that lower court ruling will stay in place unless challenged in the future. No federal ruling of marriage is in the near future....

    Yeah, a lot of people seem to be misreading this decision. While the SCOTUS has refused to hear a case wherein they would be asked to make a federal ruling on gay marriage, that does not mean that they will not take up a gay marriage case in the future that focus on the circuit court authority to strike down state referendum. I mean, the fact that circuit courts are already ruling on gay marriage referendums means the determination has already been taken out of the hands of the states and the voters, contrary to the desires of the SCOTUS.
    Last edited by jmotivator; 10-08-14 at 11:07 AM.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  7. #397
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    At some point, this will turn bad, because that's what happens when you give more and more power to government.

    That's my argument. It's not for or against SSM, it's using the courts in this manner to circumvent the Constitution. That's dangerous.
    The constitution itself is government...the legislature too, not just the courts. The only exception is ballot initiatives, which is pretty damn bad. The average joe has no comprehension of the constitution, which is why these SSM bans are getting thrown out by educated judges with actual law degrees.

    Look, you can't defend SSM bans while opposing interracial marriage bans when both are overturned by way of the 14th. This whole charade is nothing but a repeat of Loving v Virginia

  8. #398
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,816

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Yeah, a lot of people seem to be misreading this decision. While the SCOTUS has refused to hear a case wherein they would be asked to make a federal ruling on gay marriage, that does not mean that they will not take up a gay marriage case in the future that focus on the circuit court authority to strike down state referendum. I mean, the fact that circuit courts are already ruling on gay marriage referendums means the determination has already been taken out of the hands of the states and the voters.
    Correct
    SCOTUS did not leave it up to the states.
    They could rule on it later if they feel a lower court gets it wrong and a ruling is needed
    and it has been taken out of the states and voters hands because as the lower courts determined it should never be there

    its a win for equal rights but its not the end of the game yet . . .I say 2016 at the longest but wouldn't be surprised if this nonsense is done next year
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #399
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,816

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    At some point, this will turn bad, because that's what happens when you give more and more power to government.

    That's my argument. It's not for or against SSM, it's using the courts in this manner to circumvent the Constitution. That's dangerous.
    good thing on THIS issue neither of those things are happening lol
    this is a WIN for rights, the constitution hasnt been circumvented (accept by the states being corrected for their error) and is less government
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #400
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Why would I be called a Dem or Republican? I don't follow their ideals.



    Sorry but Republicans are just as bad, you think these folks fly coach and drive small car rentals where they go or not accept lobbyist money? Republicans enjoy the free meal ticket as well as any Dem does.



    Yep, both the Dems and Republicans are corrupt, not sure where you are thinking I disagree with that.
    First off you said you were a democrat, and secondly I never even claimed to be a republican - the only remote and nice thing I said about republicans were that the ones my age are far different than the ones we presently have in the House and Senate.

    I have absolutely no issue with conservatives, some are just people who value religion and others view conservatism as defending our founding documents, but don't even confuse that with modern republicans (some of which are OK I suppose, as some democrats are ok) - my issue is with extremism, political correctness, elitism and those who actually believe it's the governments duty to treat grown adults and people with families that are doing just fine like they're children.

    This government just needs to leave people and business' the **** alone....

    That will never happen tho considering the fact our government is basically a Mafia.

Page 40 of 88 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •