Page 33 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 880

Thread: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

  1. #321
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    You did not comprehend my point. I didn't mean government should just rename the marriage license to something else and then issue that. I'm not sure why you would assume I was talking about semantics.

    I meant what I said. Recognition of legal kinship could be done without a marriage license issued by the government. No license marriage license or anything equivalent to a marriage license needs to be issued by the government for the government to recognize legal kinship.
    Some sort of legal documentation is necessary in order for the government to recognize legal kinship. For most, this documentation is birth certificates that can be linked to people in families. It also can be either legal adoption records or court rulings. All legal kinship claims though do require some documentation, at least in this day and age. Why would or should that change when it comes to spousal recognition?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #322
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Anyone else find it strange that DP's #1 homophobe and gay topic starter has remained completely silent on this topic?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #323
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,122

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Anyone else find it strange that DP's #1 homophobe and gay topic starter has remained completely silent on this topic?
    Yeah. Where is NP?

  4. #324
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    I can see where the argument has merit given that homosexuals don't have any choice. I'm not sure I agree with it - or disagree with it for that matter. Thanks for giving me something to chew on during my commute to work this morning.
    Np but for full disclosure, i'm not going to stay up at night worrying that mormons who did all they could to prevent gay marriage can't legally have 5 wives. That is definitely not a priority for me.

  5. #325
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,742

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    You did not comprehend my point. I didn't mean government should just rename the marriage license to something else and then issue that. I'm not sure why you would assume I was talking about semantics.

    I meant what I said. Recognition of legal kinship could be done without a marriage license issued by the government. No license marriage license or anything equivalent to a marriage license needs to be issued by the government for the government to recognize legal kinship.
    They still need to document that change in kinship status, wouldn't you agree?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #326
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,526

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Unless your point is to just repeat "you don't get it" over and over again, then you need to explain what he doesn't get because his interpretation of your post is my interpretation as well.
    Well, some people just don't care what the law is or how society works, so it becomes a waste of time to sit there and spoon feed it to them. They don't get it, because they refuse to get it. The argument I'm making has almost nothing to do with SSM. I'm not for SSM, so I am not blinded by that carrot in front of me, and the law of the land be damned. At least that seems to be the mindset. The Supreme Court should have said that the federal courts do not have the power to override the State's decision on SSM.

    But, they are okay with the court intervening against the state, because, this time, they get what they want. But, you know what else you get when you let the court ignore the Constitution? Slavery, segregation, Americans thrown in internment camps based on their race, etc... I wonder what future atrocities we can look forward to from our courts because we look the other way when they take power.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  7. #327
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,526

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    So if, for sake of argument, marriage law read that people can only marry the same gender, you'd be totally cool with that, no discrimination? After all, same law for everyone.

    How about if you can only marry the same race? Starting to see a pattern here...
    No, you are trying to make a pattern here where there is none. Shame.

    lol, it's the supreme court's job to *uphold* the constitution, which was violated via these state laws.
    There's nothing in the Constitution that gives the Federal government power over the States in this matter

    If by "the left," you mean democrats in office, i totally agree. They are politicians and the vast majority didn't jump on board the pro gay rights train until polls supported it. In fact, two federal laws since overturn (DADT and "DOMA") were put in place by a dem president.

    If by "the left" you mean liberals, i hardly think you speak for any of them. Why don't you take it up with self identified conservatives, since most of them now support SSM as well
    If anyone has any doubt what the left cares about, just look at Obama switching from being against SSM to being for it, just before the election. If anyone does not understand at that point, they probably have the IQ of a brick.

    I don't really care who supports SSM or not.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  8. #328
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,526

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Anyone else find it strange that DP's #1 homophobe and gay topic starter has remained completely silent on this topic?
    And who would that be?
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  9. #329
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,172
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    And who would that be?
    Not you. Navy Pride.

    If you're going to run for the title, you're going to have to get a bit more disrespectful and hateful. Maybe use slurs like Bob Blaylock.
    Help fight Zika, TB, HIV/AIDs and water pollution by donating your CPU's excess processing time to scientific research.
    A self-serving billionaire engaging in historically massive personal corruption #NotMyPresident

  10. #330
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,983

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    Well, some people just don't care what the law is or how society works, so it becomes a waste of time to sit there and spoon feed it to them. They don't get it, because they refuse to get it.
    Of course they care how the law works, that's why they worked to change it.
    The argument I'm making has almost nothing to do with SSM. I'm not for SSM, so I am not blinded by that carrot in front of me, and the law of the land be damned. At least that seems to be the mindset.
    It's not that you're not blinded by the carrot, it's just not an issue that has any relevance for you, which is fine. You're not expected to personally relate to every piece of legislation or court ruling there is.

    The Supreme Court should have said that the federal courts do not have the power to override the State's decision on SSM.
    Unless the state decisions are unconstitutional, in which case it would make perfect sense for the federal courts to override them.

    But, they are okay with the court intervening against the state, because, this time, they get what they want.
    Sure, but they got what they want because the state decisions were unconstitutional.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    But, you know what else you get when you let the court ignore the Constitution? Slavery, segregation, Americans thrown in internment camps based on their race, etc... I wonder what future atrocities we can look forward to from our courts because we look the other way when they take power.
    The court didn't ignore the Constitution with slavery or segregation which is why new amendments and laws were needed to overturn them. Korematsu vs. United States was one of those egregious decisions that make most rational people's jaws drop and go "WTF, how could that even be possible??" along with rulings like Citizens United, Kelo vs. New London and Kaley vs. United States. Travesties happen and I wish they could be overturned or revisited asap. However, since rulings that support ssm don't remove personal freedoms, they can't be included in your list of historical tragedies.

    None of your post addressed why you said that gays can legally be married, but whatever. I see you have no intention of doing so and I can't force you to.

Page 33 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •