Page 25 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 880

Thread: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

  1. #241
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    OMG!!!! You mean the federal government is now going to be forced to allow states to determine their own position??? No wonder Holder is leaving ... he'd have nothing left to do.
    uhh, no. Federal circuit court rulings are now final.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #242
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    this is a fundamental right that is being denied to an entire group of people. that makes it a pressing issue.
    Every case reflects on an entire group of people. There are no laws that apply to single individuals.

  3. #243
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    And just to be clear, just because they claim marriage a fundamental right does not mean that ssm is necessarily a fundamental right.

  4. #244
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    And just to be clear, just because they claim marriage a fundamental right does not mean that ssm is necessarily a fundamental right.
    Technically correct, but the Supreme Court is a fairly authoritative body on the subject.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #245
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,409

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I believe it to be necessary in promoting the general welfare of the country. If you're going to do away with government involvement, you may as well do away with the concept entirely, because the contract becomes meaningless.
    I can't believe you wrote something on here I actually agree with. Of course the government should be involved in the legal recognition of marriage. Leaving it as just some religious institution makes custody, joint property, and a whole host of issues built around marriage ridiculously complicated from a legal perspective.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  6. #246
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    They shouldn't have to sanction or promote any form of marriage. It ain't their job. They can't even handle the job they are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I believe it to be necessary in promoting the general welfare of the country. If you're going to do away with government involvement, you may as well do away with the concept entirely, because the contract becomes meaningless.
    Recognizing legal kinship is important for all manner of government operations, and it staggers me that people don't realize this.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #247
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,002

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    You need to actually read the arguments you wish to respond to for comprehension. I said no such thing. However, it should give you a clue of the scope and intent of the amendment.
    Which, apparently, you don't bother to articulate.


    What? Again, see my first comment about comprehension.
    You're suggesting that the amendment process should be limited to "maintenance." Even if someone somewhere wrote that down in the secondary literature, there are no such limits, or even a suggestion thereof, in the Constitution itself.


    And I said there was where?
    In your claims that amendments were for "maintenance only."


    More babble from travelling down the path of non-comprehension. The Constitution can be modified, updated, changed - that's why we have an amendment process. Reinterpretation is a ****ty way to go and not at all consistent with the Constitutional government we created.
    And yet, people from all political persuasions routinely utilize the court for exactly that purpose. Go figure.


    All this was discussed in the Federalist Papers. It puts all the power in the hands of a few lifetime appointed robes.
    Oh?


    "....the judiciary, from the nature of its functions, will always be the least dangerous to the political rights of the Constitution; because it will be least in a capacity to annoy or injure them.... The judiciary, on the contrary, has no influence over either the sword or the purse; no direction either of the strength or of the wealth of the society; and can take no active resolution whatever. It may truly be said to have neither FORCE nor WILL, but merely judgment; and must ultimately depend upon the aid of the executive arm even for the efficacy of its judgments."

    Federalist 73 also discusses why it's a bad idea for Congress to decide the constitutionality of its own laws; it asserts that the judiciary should be able to void laws; and defends the idea of an independent judiciary with lifetime appointments.

  8. #248
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,091

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    And just to be clear, just because they claim marriage a fundamental right does not mean that ssm is necessarily a fundamental right.
    equal protection under the law. if heterosexual marriage is a fundamental right recognized by the state, conveying preferential status, than homosexual marriages must be recognized, as well.

  9. #249
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Recognizing legal kinship is important for all manner of government operations, and it staggers me that people don't realize this.
    I agree that there is really no need to get rid of the marriage license, but recognition of legal kinship could be done without a marriage license issued by the government.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  10. #250
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: **BREAKING** U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Rule on Gay Marriage

    Do we really need to put "**BREAKING**" in the title in a "*BRAKING NEWS*" forum?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 25 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •