Page 46 of 57 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 565

Thread: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

  1. #451
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 09:18 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,018

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Rodeo View Post
    And we tried tax cuts for the rich (capital gains and estate tax) under Clinton. What happened? The biggest economic expansion in US history.

    Perhaps you need to reexamine your premises.
    I guess you forgot the fact that Clinton raised taxes on the rich when he took office. Don't let the facts hit you in the butt.

    But even if true, I guess this shows that tax cuts don't result in predictable economic outcomes (since Bush's tax cuts ended in recession). In short, you're arguing against yourself.

    My longhand response would be something more like: economic growth is the result of numerous factors, many of which are not in the control of presidents. That said, progressive taxes, investment in public works, education and health care, is the surest way to avoid large income gaps that do in fact lead to recession. So while progressive economic policies might not prevent a recession, conservative policies almost insure we will have one.

  2. #452
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:42 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,133

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by FaceofBachmann View Post
    I guess you forgot the fact that Clinton raised taxes on the rich when he took office. Don't let the facts hit you in the butt.

    But even if true, I guess this shows that tax cuts don't result in predictable economic outcomes (since Bush's tax cuts ended in recession). In short, you're arguing against yourself.
    Neither do tax raises.

    How am I arguing against myself? I just explained, in a very simple, concise way, how your argument doesn't prove any kind of causation (which is what you are claiming). That requires some other kind of evidence. I mean, otherwise, we have pretty good statistics to indicate that pirates cause global cooling.
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

  3. #453
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Who is holding up the Keystone pipeline? Who is shutting down cosl mines? Who shut down drilling? It's wasn't the Republicans.
    Natural gas boom is shutting down the coal mines. Blame the free market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  4. #454
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,321

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Natural gas boom is shutting down the coal mines. Blame the free market.

    Coal is one if biggest exports and we get nearly 50 percent of our electricity from Coal fired plants.

    Its very much in demamd.

  5. #455
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Coal is one if biggest exports and we get nearly 50 percent of our electricity from Coal fired plants.

    Its very much in demamd.
    Doesn't even address what I said. The guy was making the audacious claim that it was dems shutting down coal plants. Even though coal is still large it has been in decline. And its because natural gas is now cheaper so ng powerplants are cutting into the coal industry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  6. #456
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 09:18 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,018

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Rodeo View Post
    Neither do tax raises.

    How am I arguing against myself? I just explained, in a very simple, concise way, how your argument doesn't prove any kind of causation (which is what you are claiming). That requires some other kind of evidence. I mean, otherwise, we have pretty good statistics to indicate that pirates cause global cooling.
    Increasing taxes on the top bracket and using those revenues to money into the economy in fact does decrease the income gap in various well understood ways. It's not the entire story, but a good step. And since the income gap is the source of recessions, keeping taxes on the top bracket high is always a good thing.

  7. #457
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Natural gas boom is shutting down the coal mines. Blame the free market.
    Oh, is that what happened?

    Coal Plants Affected by EPA Regulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #458
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 09:18 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,018

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Who is holding up the Keystone pipeline? Who is shutting down cosl mines? Who shut down drilling? It's wasn't the Republicans.
    Which president has overseen the largest expansion of fracking leading to such incredible increases in oil and gas production that we are outstripping the Saudis, at least for the present?

    Doesn't fit your talking points, does it?

  9. #459
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by FaceofBachmann View Post
    Which president has overseen the largest expansion of fracking leading to such incredible increases in oil and gas production that we are outstripping the Saudis, at least for the present?

    Doesn't fit your talking points, does it?

    Bush

    .........
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #460
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,321

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by FaceofBachmann View Post
    Increasing taxes on the top bracket and using those revenues to money into the economy in fact does decrease the income gap in various well understood ways. It's not the entire story, but a good step. And since the income gap is the source of recessions, keeping taxes on the top bracket high is always a good thing.
    Raising taxes on the wealthy and Bussinesses has done wonders in California. ....wait, no it hasn't.

    Its driven out their tax base and Bussinesses and made their Budget issues much much worse.

    Did it reduce the " income gap " ?

    No, their High tax anti-Bussinesses policies have driven over 2 Million to States that have low taxes and sensible regulations

Page 46 of 57 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •