Page 45 of 57 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 565

Thread: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

  1. #441
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,245

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    What do you say now?
    That boomers make up a large portion of the labor market. Which is expected, given that they are roughly 1/4 of the total U.S. population. It would do us all a favor if you would educate yourself a bit more about this particular demographic.

    You lack the ability to critique the White House study on worker participation, so you misuse discrete data by making unsubstantiated claims. The current population of those ages 55 and over is 85.18 million. The number of workers ages 55 and over is 33.97 million.

    Meaning, roughly 60% of those ages 55 and over are not in the labor force. Since 2002, there have been an additional 14 million people ages 55 and over in the labor force, even though the population for this demographic has increased by 25 million.

    For the next 15 years, their will be an average of 10,000 boomers retiring every day. That's 3.65 million per year, or roughly 14 million since 2011. Interestingly enough, there have been an additional 3 million people ages 55 and over enter the labor force in that same time frame.

    We already know you lack the courage to admit when you are wrong.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  2. #442
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,245

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Wait, that CAN'T be right !

    Janet Yellen did a study and everything that said there was a acute mass retiring happening right before our eyes.

    And we know she's objective.....

    Good find DA !
    Are your mathematical abilities limited to simple arithmetic? If so, there shouldn't be much confusion about the post above.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  3. #443
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 04:46 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,873

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    That boomers make up a large portion of the labor market. Which is expected, given that they are roughly 1/4 of the total U.S. population. It would do us all a favor if you would educate yourself a bit more about this particular demographic.

    You lack the ability to critique the White House study on worker participation, so you misuse discrete data by making unsubstantiated claims. The current population of those ages 55 and over is 85.18 million. The number of workers ages 55 and over is 33.97 million.

    Meaning, roughly 60% of those ages 55 and over are not in the labor force. Since 2002, there have been an additional 14 million people ages 55 and over in the labor force, even though the population for this demographic has increased by 25 million.

    For the next 15 years, their will be an average of 10,000 boomers retiring every day. That's 3.65 million per year, or roughly 11 million since 2011. Interestingly enough, there have been an additional 3 million people ages 55 and over enter the labor force in that same time frame.

    We already know you lack the courage to admit when you are wrong.
    Looking at the monthly SS enrollment reports, they don't reflect a 10k/day retirement rate. It looks like SS retriement rolls have expanded by 660k in 9 months, which would put a net retirement rate at about 2,500/day.

    Monthly Statistical Snapshot, August 2014

  4. #444
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,245

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Looking at the monthly SS enrollment reports, they don't reflect a 10k/day retirement rate. It looks like SS retriement rolls have expanded by 660k in 9 months, which would put a net retirement rate at about 2,500/day.

    Monthly Statistical Snapshot, August 2014
    Not everyone who retires is eligible for S.S.. This should be apparent, given the average retirement age in the U.S. is 62 years.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  5. #445
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,210

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    Are your mathematical abilities limited to simple arithmetic? If so, there shouldn't be much confusion about the post above.
    Actually No Kush.

    My Mathematical education ended in Calculus. I enjoyed it and t wasn't too demanding. Actually it was kind of fun.

    Why ? Because I dare question the lefts claim that the Labor participation rate is a inconsequential statistic ?

  6. #446
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,245

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Why ? Because I dare question the lefts claim that the Labor participation rate is a inconsequential statistic ?
    I put forth a credible study that shows 1.6% of the LFPR drop-off is due to aging. One of the least objective posters on this forum provides a simple metric pertaining to participation of those over 55 (and 65) and you have the nerve to say:

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Wait, that CAN'T be right! Janet Yellen did a study and everything that said there was a acute mass retiring happening right before our eyes.
    without the slightest consideration for demographic dynamics.

    Can you provide a link to substantiate your oxymoron?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  7. #447
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,266

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by FaceofBachmann View Post
    Thanks for proving my point. You really don't want a robust middle class or to end extreme poverty. You just used the counterfactual distraction that tax increases on the rich are a "scheme" and won't work, when of course, redistribution of income works on its face. It's why you're against it, isn't it? Not because it wouldn't work, but because it does.

    We tried tax cuts for the rich under Bush, remember. What happened? The biggest Recession in decades. As predicted by liberals.
    Is there some reason you cant answer a direct question? I get that it is a favorite tactic of the left to attack the questioner, erect strawmen and mischaracterize your opponents argument (and to your credit you did all three here quite well) But cant you just answer the questions posed honestly? Give it a shot. What have you got to lose?

  8. #448
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,130

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by FaceofBachmann View Post
    Thanks for proving my point. You really don't want a robust middle class or to end extreme poverty. You just used the counterfactual distraction that tax increases on the rich are a "scheme" and won't work, when of course, redistribution of income works on its face. It's why you're against it, isn't it? Not because it wouldn't work, but because it does.

    We tried tax cuts for the rich under Bush, remember. What happened? The biggest Recession in decades. As predicted by liberals.
    And we tried tax cuts for the rich (capital gains and estate tax) under Clinton. What happened? The biggest economic expansion in US history.

    Perhaps you need to reexamine your premises.
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

  9. #449
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,567

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Rodeo View Post
    And we tried tax cuts for the rich (capital gains and estate tax) under Clinton. What happened? The biggest economic expansion in US history.
    You do realize that we had two recessions in the ten year period after that tax cut don't you? I really don't see how that constitutes the "largest economic expansion".

    Excess pooling of wealth in the hands of the few is a significant contributor to bubbles, and bubbles burst.
    Last edited by imagep; 10-08-14 at 01:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  10. #450
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,130

    Re: Jobless Rate in US Falls to 5.9% in September, Payrolls Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    You do realize that we had two recessions in the ten year period after that tax cut don't you? I really don't see how that constitutes the "largest economic expansion".

    Excess pooling of wealth in the hands of the few is a significant contributor to bubbles, and bubbles burst.
    I was making a point that correlation =/= causation. Oversimplifying economics is generally a mistake. There is no such thing as a sound argument that goes "Raise taxes and then [all *blank*] happens".

    I mean, right there, you're going to try to slip in the claim that Clinton's tax cuts were somewhat responsible for two recessions? Well, can't we say the same about Clinton's tax raises by the same token?
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

Page 45 of 57 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •